Home

Recruiting - BPA or System guy

This is a discussion on Recruiting - BPA or System guy within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Do you recruit BPA or System ?
Best Player Avaliable 50 54.35%
Guy that fits your system better 42 45.65%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-21-2007, 11:45 AM   #9
Banned

OVR: 30
Re: Recruiting - BPA or System guy

When playing my Auburn dynasty, I only recruit from Alabama, GA, Mississippi, Louisiana, Florida and Tennessee, except for 1 or 2 players a year, unless I'm changing my system, and then I'll recruit all over for a QB.

Due to the rather limited selection of players, I go for BPA for most positions, unless there's major flaws. For defense, speed is the most important element. I usually have a ton of 3* CBs and OLBs, and for DT, I'll take the strongest guys around, be him 2* or 5*. On offense, it's more case by case. It's nice to have a blazing WR with mediocre hands, but 5 of them doesn't work too well. I can't stand slow RBs with 83 speed, but on the other hand, aside from Reggie Bush players that I can pass to, 97-99 speed RBs tend to be worthless against good teams. I like the 88-93 speed who if they get in the open field, they're good, but can still break tackles. QB is more of a mood thing. I usually play 10-15 seasons, and change up my offense every 3-5 years just to keep it from getting boring.
Old 05-21-2007, 01:50 PM   #10
MVP

bgeno's Arena

OVR: 18

I will typically just recruit BPA at QB for the first few years until I get an identity.... but that identity usually ends up being a spread option offense with a lot of speed option out of shotgun and a pretty high amount of shot gun.

I like a runningback around 88-93 speed, like The Soldier said. Although it's nice to have a really speedy guy to change pace for my spread option game... if you can get them in the open field, it's lights out. I typically like a blocking Full Back, but it's nice to have a big, fast guy too for triple option out of I-form.

I like posession WR's, but I like to try to develop a speed guy here and there too, and they help with the return game. I'm perfectly fine with an 85 speed WR if he can catch.

I like BEASTS at TE: big, run-blocking guys who are almost like a third tackle. But I will occasionally get a recieving tight end to play around with.

My O-line should be pretty balanced. I like to run and pass fairly equally (I try at least), so unless I'm running a gimicky offense (sometimes I'll try a double wing/flex-bone triple option offense) it is all about balance.

D-line is all about BPA, unless I'm running 3-4. In that case, I like all run stopping guys in there.

I like VERY fast Outside backers who can cover the slot recievers so I can stay base on 3rd downs. My ILB's can be slow as hell as long as they can tackle. Main thing with my linebackers is that they need to have high awareness.

My corners are BPA. If the guy is fast with low awareness, that's ok. If he's slower with great awareness, that is fine too. He's just got to be good at one of those two things.

My safeties need to FLY. I like them as fast as possible so they dont get beat deep.
Old 05-21-2007, 05:22 PM   #11
MVP

Dispatch's Arena

OVR: 17

System.

I usually run a 3-4 so I need bigger LB's and usually I take DT's and move them to DE, and I also look for the biggest strongest DT I can find.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-21-2007, 07:01 PM   #12
All Star

OVR: 21

System all the way.

QB: Has to be athletic. Not necessarily a scrambler, but can escape pressure and pick up yards if he needs to.

RB: Mix of power and speed. The guys with speed in the 88-93 range seem to fit that mold.

WR: Also tend to be a mix of speed and possession. Big enough to take the hit but fast enough to take an underneath route to the house.

OL: I just get the best player available.

DL: I go for speed on the ends and strength up the middle.

LB: I go after speed. I'm just looking for guys who can get to the ball in a hurry.

DB: Man. I play Man a majority of the time so they need to be able to do that.
Old 05-21-2007, 07:40 PM   #13
Rookie

OVR: 2

I'm more of a System guy myself. It's hard to not recruit the 5-star QB when he has a 5.05 40 and you have an option system.

As far as my RB's, I love to have a speed back, but I like to have a bruiser to spell my primary back. This way there is a good change of pace if I needed it.

All my WR's have to be able to block well and catch the ball. I'm not to worried about speed because if they can get open, I'm not worried about them flying if they can't catch the ball.

The Prince of the 910 has taken his throne...
Old 05-21-2007, 09:50 PM   #14
MVP

davin's Arena

OVR: 13

At the skill positions I am very much a system type of guy.

QB: If the guy cant run a 4.7 at least he gets no consideration unless it comes down to a depth issue, or like week 5 of recruiting I lost out on some other guys and he's the best available and I need some depth I'll go after him.

RB: I try to have a nice mix on my roster. At OSU I loved having Chris Wells (power), Maurice Wells (speed), and Antonio Pittman (great balance). So I try to duplicate that with the Pittmanesque player usually being the starter.

FB: Doesn't really matter, I'll work with what I can get.

WR: Generally I always like to have one real burner (95+ speed) and then a nice balance of guys in the 90s with speed. Usually I look for a guy who may have 4.6 speed but has the potential to slip into the TE role within a couple of years. I find it hard to recruit a TE with 80 speed so this becomes my receiver at TE.

TE: Whatever I can get, speed is nice but usually hard for me to lock down.

OL: Best players available if they are strong.

DL: Best player period. I use to try for super speedy ends but I started to land some lower 70s speed guys who really were amazing.

LB: OLB have to be fast. I usually can get some top guys but I like to look for projects who have the potential to be real studs. MLB I tend to look for a balance of speed and run stopping.

CB: I love fast guys, thats pretty much a lot of what I look for. If the guy doesnt run a 4.5 or lower (and even 4.5 I might consider a position swap) he isnt considered for the team usually.

S: The FS has to be fast if I can find one (usually a 4.3, 4.4 guy). The SS is dependant on what I can get, but I like a guy that can hit and is faster than 82. I had this one guy, Evan Bush who was an OLB with speed but I lost my SS for the year in game one so he stepped in because my replacement was crap and the guy became a 3 year starter. I used to be all about speed at SS but that guy changed what I thought the SS should be in my system.

Usually weeks 1-3 its all about the system but based on how recruiting is going I change my strategy if I have to because I have holes to fill.
Old 05-21-2007, 10:53 PM   #15
MVP

Meatloaf86's Arena

OVR: 11

I'm not really system and not really best available. I'm a combo of both with some guidelines.

QB: Has to be a drop back type, right handed, and at least 6-3 with 4.9 and above speed. I can't stand the running type QB. If I can't find the above then I'll take a running QB to fill up the depth.

RB: Has to be 5-10 to 6-0, weigh over 200 lbs. and have at least 4.4 or lower speed. That's really all I look for in my RBs.

FB: Just whatever I can get. I don't like to use my FB all that often.

WR: I usually go for one or two receivers that are 6-2 and taller that can run and catch. The rest is just whatever I can find and must be no higher than 4.4 speed and no shorter than 5-10. I can't stand short receivers. I like my guys having a couple inches on the DBs.

TE: Again whatever works usually. Tall, 6-5 and taller, Decent hands with decent speed, 4.6 and lower speed.

OL: Usually just take what I can get and not care. Only thing I like is 6-5 or taller and 290 plus pounds.

DE: Gotta be fast and at least 6-3, 250. Don't like the big guys on the end.

DT: Go for the biggest possible to clog the middle.

MLB: Fast, fast, and fast. I could careless about hands. I want speed. At least 6-2, 230. If I get a big guy with a cool name, like David Ortiz who I recruited in one dynasty, I give them the full cage mask, black visor with the extended neck thing.

OLB: Fast, fast, and fast again. Same as a MLB basically. Usually these guys are converted MLB's anyways.

DBs: Fast and tall mostly. Like my SS's to be hard hitters. Otherwise just fast.

K/P: Whatever I can get...

I'm currently running a sim Missouri State, added all the Gateway teams into the Sunbelt. Entering my 5th year now, probably my last at Mz St. I want to move to the MAC or Mountain West if possible or Duke or UNC. I want to play but I get so into the recruiting and just can't stop.

I'm all about having set guidelines for my team, then just taking what I can get. Especially with a small school like Mz. St. where you start out by taking transfers and basically anyone you can get. I try and avoid Juco players if I can unless they fill a big hole. I also tend to stay with pipeline states. I like to set up pipelines with Minnesota and Wisconsin just because I'm from Wisc. & go to school in Minn. I have some weird requirements but it gets the job done.

NFL - Packers & Browns
MLB - Brewers & Twins
NCAA Football - Wisconsin, LSU, Virginia Tech
Soccer - Arsenal, Wolverhampton
NHL - Wild
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-22-2007, 05:29 AM   #16
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNole
I usually go for the best available talent more often than not, but I do have certain attributes I look for. My QB needs to be somewhat athletic, but more often than not I go best available and cater to the talent.
Same with me.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »