Home

Something no one ever mentions that is annoys me a bit

This is a discussion on Something no one ever mentions that is annoys me a bit within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-23-2007, 09:11 PM   #1
MVP

bgeno's Arena

OVR: 18
Something no one ever mentions that is annoys me a bit

The safeties. There's a strong safety and a free safety... the only problem is, they play more like a left safety and a right safety. If you look at videos, you'll have a free safety up toward the box and a strong safety playing back on a normal, base-ish defensive formation.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-23-2007, 09:23 PM   #2
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75
Re: Something no one ever mentions that is annoys me a bit

There isn't much difference between them in real life either. The SS just lines up on the TE side and can be brought closer to the line of scrimmage occasionally. Many teams can interchange their safeties so this doesn't bother me. Teams can always motion the TE to either side of the field so you don't see teams flipping their safeties around that much, particularly when the TE usually starts out on the right side of the offense.

What bothers me a lot more is the CPU calling goalline defense plays and leaving your WRs completely open at the start of the play. This happens a lot in the PS2 version where the CPU just completely sells out on the run.
Old 06-23-2007, 09:53 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 1

I agree Geno. There's a couple of things that EA screws up along these lines. Have you noticed the ratings hit you take when you switch a SS to FS and vice-versa. You'd think you were putting a corner at DT. Plus most college teams have weakside and strongside linebackers not left and right OLB's.
Old 06-23-2007, 10:00 PM   #4
Th* C*mm*shn*k*v

cliburn's Arena

OVR: 15

I'm with you geno. I long for the day we have a true stong safety, free safety, stongside linebacker, weakside linebacker, strongside end, and weakside end.
Old 06-24-2007, 08:52 AM   #5
MVP

BezO's Arena

OVR: 20

Another one for Geno. I've been asking for this for years, for both Madden & NCAA. I'll put it in the wishlist thread - again - once I play each game.

SOME teams have safeties that are interchangable. Most teams have a better tackler at SS, and a better/faster cover guy at FS. Having them line up correctly would really help making calls, and help improve coverage. I don't want my SS getting caught playing deep middle if that's not his strength.

Instead of the Flip Safeties option controlling left & right, it should control strong side & week side.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-25-2007, 10:22 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 4

In Cover 2, for example, the safeties do play left and right side, but you are right that the free safety should never play up. The strong safety is the only one who would line up with the linebackers or over a wide receiver.
Old 06-25-2007, 10:26 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortsoldier
I'm with you geno. I long for the day we have a true stong safety, free safety, stongside linebacker, weakside linebacker, strongside end, and weakside end.
Thank you. I honestly can't believe they've not addressed this for almost a decade.

PS. Also a nose tackle
Old 06-25-2007, 10:36 PM   #8
MVP

Methlab's Arena

OVR: 15

Safety play means everything too. It controls how you read and react to a defensive look..in turn the safeties constantly out of position mean that the rotations are never ging to be true to life. It just simply is impossible to replicate a rotation if the safeties are out of position before the snap. I think that is a major issue if you want a true simulation of football.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »