Home

Help a newbie get better

This is a discussion on Help a newbie get better within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-20-2007, 09:02 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: Help a newbie get better

ok guys, the tips have helped tremendously. i'm running and passing the ball better and i'm getting competitive on Varsity.

now for some help.....

what player does everyone use on defense? do you use a lineman and just rush and then change to the nearest player? or do you use a backer of some sort and play your position? i've been using a lineman, but i usually can get no pressure on the QB with him.

any defensive tips?
Old 07-20-2007, 09:24 PM   #10
Cupcake Coach

R1zzo23's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmann1102
ok guys, the tips have helped tremendously. i'm running and passing the ball better and i'm getting competitive on Varsity.

now for some help.....

what player does everyone use on defense? do you use a lineman and just rush and then change to the nearest player? or do you use a backer of some sort and play your position? i've been using a lineman, but i usually can get no pressure on the QB with him.

any defensive tips?
I've always been a Madden guy, so playing at the DTackle was the easiest position. I then branched out and started playing with the MLB when he's supposed to cover a zone or a RB out of the backfield.

For NCAA, I've only played the Campus Legend mode so far and am playing as a SS. With that said, I don't think that's the easiest position to play. I would almost say MLB might be the best position to play as on defense, but I don't have all the experience with this game yet.
Old 07-20-2007, 10:15 PM   #11
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

On offense what helps is to send a guy in motion to see if anyone follows him, if they do it's probably man to man defense, if not it's probably zone. If it's zone then look for a crossing WR and then right after he runs past the first CB's zone, zip the ball in there, do it a little sooner than you think because if you do it too late the safety or whoever has the "next" zone will pick it off. If it's man to man then you have to look at your best WR and see if he is double teamed, if not and he has some spacing then throw to him.

Also one thing I do is look at the best two WR's who are running routes I think may work and make a mental note of their buttons so that if i have a big old lineman in my face I don't have to look to see what their button is and can throw it quicker (this is where it's especially nice to always have one WR who is running a very shallow crossing route as a dump off pass).

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-21-2007, 12:39 AM   #12
ehh
Hall Of Fame

ehh's Arena

OVR: 44

Some small hints for passing...

Before each play I see if the D is in man or zone (send a guy in motion or just look how they're lined up) and then I look at my routes and designate a safety valve. Usually it's an RB going into the flat - I do this so if I see a blitz coming right away I know where I can dump it off to or if they drop into a zone and no one else is open. I think a lot of people panic in the pocket when they see a blitz and just bomb it down field w.o looking at the coverage, which is only natural.

If there is no RB going out for a pass on the play I usually hot route a TE or slot WR on an out pattern or if worse comes to worse I decide I'll just have to throw the ball away on this particular play if they get quick pressure, provided I'm out of the pocket.

Also, call tons of play action passes. Seriously half of your passes should be from PA's. Even if the CPU doesn't bit, it will at least freeze the LBs (which is who picks off most human passes) and allow you to throw passes in the middle of the field.

Lastly, don't touch the stick when you drop back to pass, let the computer do the work for you.

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas." - Warren Buffet
Old 07-21-2007, 12:55 AM   #13
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehh
Some small hints for passing...

Before each play I see if the D is in man or zone (send a guy in motion or just look how they're lined up) and then I look at my routes and designate a safety valve. Usually it's an RB going into the flat - I do this so if I see a blitz coming right away I know where I can dump it off to or if they drop into a zone and no one else is open. I think a lot of people panic in the pocket when they see a blitz and just bomb it down field w.o looking at the coverage, which is only natural.

If there is no RB going out for a pass on the play I usually hot route a TE or slot WR on an out pattern or if worse comes to worse I decide I'll just have to throw the ball away on this particular play if they get quick pressure, provided I'm out of the pocket.

Also, call tons of play action passes. Seriously half of your passes should be from PA's. Even if the CPU doesn't bit, it will at least freeze the LBs (which is who picks off most human passes) and allow you to throw passes in the middle of the field.

Lastly, don't touch the stick when you drop back to pass, let the computer do the work for you.
I don't think advising him to call a lot of play action passes is a good idea since he has admitted he's slow to scan receivers, doing the play action is going to make him get sacked a lot. But I guess to each his own.

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven
Old 07-21-2007, 01:17 AM   #14
Rookie

KePoW's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
I don't think advising him to call a lot of play action passes is a good idea since he has admitted he's slow to scan receivers, doing the play action is going to make him get sacked a lot. But I guess to each his own.
I agree...PA passes are horrible for newbie players, he will get sacked a LOT

xmann, I don't recommend many PA passes until you get more comfortable with NCAA
Old 07-21-2007, 01:58 AM   #15
MVP

OVR: 14

I pretty much consider myself a newbie in football games. Hell, I only use the 4-3 as my defense of choice and I only know how to use to plays that I can use to maximum. On offense, I only use the I-Form and don't really need my RB unless he has a great catch attrribute.

Anyhow, what I do is have a QB that can really scramble to begin with. Before the ball is snap, I already try to anticipate where the defense will concentrate, either the left, middle or right. Try and lock on a WR or TE before the snap that you beleived won't be heavily guarded or not covered by a star linebacker. After the snap, look if that player you lock on before the snap is indeed free, if not that is the time you start looking for reciever that is not heavily covered. Even if the pocket collapse, your QB should be able to run for at least a couple of yards.

First and foremost though, you need to pick a play or a formation set that you would be comfortable to play with and put it on your audible list. Find the WR that would best work on your system, don't look at the overall rating. If your system is a short passing system, you need a WR or a TE with good hands. If your system is long bomb which I would not recomend if you are really that new, you certainly would need plenty of practice before going in the game, WR that can really smoke the floor and catch, and TEs with good hands just in case your WRs is compromised. But you would really need a great offensive line to become good on long bombs.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-21-2007, 11:14 AM   #16
Rookie

well i'm continuing to improve and moving the ball better and actually scoring a few times during games.

my biggest issue now is on defense. i'm getting nickle and dimed to death. i never give up a big play, just short and mediums ones regularly. i try to play cover 2 under when i suspect passes, but the cpu is constantly throwing short dumps or slants and catch them every time.

do i need to blitz more?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »