Home

Any passing tips?

This is a discussion on Any passing tips? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-21-2007, 11:34 AM   #1
MVP

OVR: 15
Any passing tips?

I'm using Oklahoma State in my dynasty and I can run really well with that QB and I can run with the HB on All American Difficulty, but unless I'm passing it out to the flats, I get intercepted CONSTANTLY.

I know I'm just used to the last five days I spent with APF, but my team is in dire straights if I don't get some advice quick....
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-21-2007, 12:59 PM   #2
Probably Insane

Village Idiot's Arena

OVR: 30
Re: Any passing tips?

To be honest, the best advice would be to practice. However, since there's no random defensive playcalling in practice mode, that's not exactly an easy thing to do, unfortunately.

In turn, I'd say the best thing to do is just work slowly. Call passing plays that you know will work for now (if that means only calling comebacks, outs and passes to the flat, so be it) and add in some more plays as you go along. But the point is that there's no point in calling a play with the thinking that it 'might work'. If a play doesn't have a 60% chance or better of being effective, you're just wasting a down.
Old 07-21-2007, 01:01 PM   #3
Pro

Soonerd2's Arena

OVR: 7

Try some quick slants and play action post patterns that what I do anywayz.
Old 07-21-2007, 01:19 PM   #4
All Star

OVR: 20

You have to throw the ball when the receiver makes his break.
Old 07-21-2007, 01:28 PM   #5
All Star

SuperBowlNachos's Arena

OVR: 21

Move the def passing awr all the way down. Even then they will still intercept you though.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-21-2007, 02:36 PM   #6
MVP

deadlyCane's Arena

OVR: 17

Believe it or not, I've actually done better passing with this year's game on the 360 than last year's 360 game. I'm not a passing guru though. Here is my formula:

* Establish a good run game (don't know if it's necessary but I run to setup the pass)

* Make sure your QB feel are set before throwing.

* Watch the linebackers if you want to throw underneath (slants, 5-7 yards crosses, ins, etc). If the LB drop back, well, you might want to reconsider. You can sometimes complete a pass even when they drop back but you're playing with fire. If they come up, blitz, or chase after a RB, you'll likely have the middle open. Don't be afraid to take control of the receiver on these as you may have to jump or stretch out for a lead. Yeah, and always lead the receiver to the left or right (in direction of travel). You don't have to throw before a receiver make a cut on these but it sometimes helps. I've found that there are times I want the receiver to carry the defender across the field or clear another defender in the middle of the field.

* Watch the safeties if you want to throw deep. If they roll over to help out on a man on the outside, forget about it. Don't throw there.

* Figure out if the D is in zone or man-to-man. If it's zone then passes like curls and sometimes even outs may get picked. I've been able to find soft spots in zones using crosses and ins but your timing needs to be impeccable.

* If you're throwing to the outside, watch the CB placement in relation to your WR. If he is ahead of the WR you can complete a curl or comeback route but you MUST throw the ball just before the WR stops to curl. If you do this the CB runs a step or two towards the endzone before he stops to comeback (although I've had one instance where a CB did a superman turnaround and slide in front of my WR to intercept my curl pass). It's also best to throw low to the ground on the curls and comeback routes (tap the LS down a bit upon release). If you throw too late on a curl the CB is gonna jump the route and if you're lucky your QB is gonna get some practice tackling. You should also expect to take control of the receiver right after releasing the pass sometimes when throwing curls/comebacks.

* When throwing short fades on outs, you still want to throw the ball before the receiver makes his cut. You also should lead the receiver. Deciding whether to float or bullet the pass on an out pretty much depends on the position of the defender. I sometimes float on a fade and sometimes bullet. You never want to throw these if the defender is between you and the QB (behind you).

* Deep passes are tough to complete but I've completed a couple. Playaction works well to set this up. First, avoid throwing deep with safety help ala double coverage. Again, defender placement is key here. Don't throw deep if defender is ahead of your receiver (opposite of curls and comebacks). If he is behind you may be able to lob it over his head. These are best done by floating/lightly tapping B button. You may also need to tap the LS to the open shoulder of the receive. The inside shoulder is usually more successful but you may have to go outside depending on defender placement. Usually though I've found that you have to take control of the receiver to finish deep passes.

* I also use the vision cone. It takes a lot of getting used to but I've been using it since it first came out on the PS2. I've trained myself to use it on the 360 and not get lazy by opting not to use it. Your passes have a higher success rate when you use it correctly.

And of course, the best tip is to throw to the open man. I hope that helps.
Old 07-21-2007, 03:59 PM   #7
Hall Of Fame

NoleFan's Arena

OVR: 22

I only pass against man and when I do pass I run hooks and outs primarily. I still throw picks I feel more like it's my because of my QB's accuracy now more than anything else. There's still some screwy ones in there. I also only run twins sets to FORCE the D to show it's hand regarding man or zone coverage.
Old 07-21-2007, 04:01 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 1

I run a lot of drags and slants. If you have a real good WR he can turn that 12 yd slant into a 35 yd gain pretty quick. I have pretty much given up on 30 yd passes.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »