Home

No way to sugarcoat it -- this game was not ready

This is a discussion on No way to sugarcoat it -- this game was not ready within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 03:16 PM   #9
MVP

BezO's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: No way to sugarcoat it -- this game was not ready

Agreed. There are many football/gameplay issues with this game. Interceptions, no pocket, bad OL/DL AI, sub par linemen player interaction and limited DL moves, touch tackle physics, ect. Then there are the lack of options... can't turn names off, can't turn snapshots off, can't turn audible help off, no CPU vs CPU, ect.

I always read, "this is only the 1st, 2nd, ect. release on a new system. Give it time. The game has improved." New generations are turning around every what, 5 years? By the time the game gets to where we expect it, a new generation of systems will be due. We'll get what, one year of a great game, maybe?

Then EA will have to start all over... get used to the new systems, update the engine, re-implement features that finally made it back into this generation's game and so on. And we'll expect a new level of realism that EA will have a tough time deliverying. This generation, "gang tackling" finally made it in. Maybe next gen we'll get a pocket to form for the QB.

I have to assume that folks calling this game great are simply not bothered by what I feel are essential ommisions. For example, I find the blocking interaction TERRIBLE. I'm not referring to the AI, which is improved. I'm talking about what happens after players engage, which is nothing. You either defeat the block or get stuck in mud. This is why pockets can't form, why there's no flow towards outside runs(unless you defeat the block), and why speed rushers are all but useless. The lack of DL moves don't help. Huge IMO, and I'm amazed more folks are not disappointed with this.

I agree that the game is greatly improved from last year. For the first time in 3-4 years, there's some fun to be had. But my expectations have yet to be met, and I'm disappointed.
Old 07-25-2007, 03:18 PM   #10
TOMBA IS ONLINE

Tomba's Arena

OVR: 65

I have a completely diff. outlook on the game
Old 07-25-2007, 03:26 PM   #11
MVP

olemiss86's Arena

OVR: 12

I have a different outlook as well. I think it is a great game, maybe some more college atmosphere would make it better. But compared to last year's game and the current gen, this is a great game. And I blame myself for all the interceptions I throw, not flaws. I tend to throw in coverage 95% of the time, especially when I am being run down, when most times the QB will normally throw it away.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-25-2007, 03:28 PM   #12
Tebow is Chuck Norris

OVR: 18

Best answer: This is a video game. If you want a sim please watch CBS, NBC, FOX, ABC and ESPN.

We are still years off from developers creating AI that is truly lifelike (if ever).
Old 07-25-2007, 03:31 PM   #13
Hall Of Fame

Heelfan71's Arena

OVR: 44

lol.....every game, every year someone says the game was rushed or not finished. if you are throwing ints, you need to learn how to pass. you also ention the default settings. USE THE SLIDERS
Old 07-25-2007, 03:40 PM   #14
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by BezO
I always read, "this is only the 1st, 2nd, ect. release on a new system. Give it time. The game has improved." New generations are turning around every what, 5 years? By the time the game gets to where we expect it, a new generation of systems will be due. We'll get what, one year of a great game, maybe?

I'm talking about what happens after players engage, which is nothing. You either defeat the block or get stuck in mud. This is why pockets can't form, why there's no flow towards outside runs(unless you defeat the block), and why speed rushers are all but useless. The lack of DL moves don't help. Huge IMO, and I'm amazed more folks are not disappointed with this.
I agree that the development cycles get tiring. It seems the first two games have problems, the third game is great and then they already start working on the next generation and stop truly innovating on the game that just got good. No major changes ever happen to an engine after year three.

I also agree that the blocking interaction needs to be more fluid and the lack of DL moves don't help at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rspencer
Personally, I am enjoying the game for what it is. Are there things that could use some serious improvements? Absolutely. But this game does a lot of things right, and can be very fun to play, both online and offline.
I agree that the game is still fun despite areas that need work. I really look forward to playing the next game and my level of addiction is how I judge a game.
Old 07-25-2007, 03:43 PM   #15
#OwnTheFuture

Benz87's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rspencer86
No sports game will ever truly be "ready." With such short development cycles, there is a very limited amount of time to meet the ever-increasing demands of gamers (just look how long the Wishlist threads get every year)
They are very long, but it seems every year nothing on any wishlist gets in the game. Except 2K's wishlists, I think they actually look at things like that.

I was actually talking to my brother about this subject yesterday .He's going to school for Digital Entertainment & Game design at ITT in Green Bay. I was playing this game at the time and i was asking him about all the little things and how easy it is to implement them in games.

He was telling me how difficult it actually is to make a game. It is not nearly what anybody who has never talked to anyone, or has no knowledge on it expects. According to him it is very difficult to go through all the coding to remove minor bugs and glitches because you have to find out what is causing them. Such as in this game, the depth chart being glitchy. According to him(not sure actually how smart he is with this stuff, he's been in the program for 2 years now) the AI would be the most difficult stuff to deal with. Especially if you find somehting wrong during testing. There would be no way to go in and fix every thing with such little time before release.

I'm not saying give EA a break at all, because with how much money they make and how much time they spend(which according to my bro in the final months its about 70 hours per week for developers) we shouldnt be having these problems.

I think it would be rougher if they did wait another month before release. People would hear the release would be delayed and there expectations would go up that much higher. Everyone would critisize the game that much more, and nitpick that much more. All we can do is continue the hope for future.
Old 07-25-2007, 04:06 PM   #16
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by scadh
I have owned every version of this game since 2003 (the one w/ Joey Harrington on the cover). Unfortunately, I think the game has gone progressively downhill since then, with 07 and 08 being the worst. 08 is the first I have owned on 360.

I want so badly to love this game but it's growing increasingly difficult. With all of the issues/bugs this game has, there is simply no way to conclude anything other than it was shipped before it was finished. We're all beta-testing NCAA 09 as we speak.

For starters, aren't the developers football fans? How can they *possibly* play a game at default AA or Heisman and think it is an accurate representation of football? I have had more games with six or more combined interceptions than I have had without. Fumbles are not only constant, but the CPU recovers 90% of the time -- only to have the call reversed 80% of the time. Take a look at all of the sliders being posted. Notice all the 0's and 100's everywhere? The default 50's are not even close! Who beta tests? How on Earth did the default difficulty and sliders possibly make it out of the door?

Then there are the flat-out bugs. Every time my punt team comes on the field, Brad Nessler misidentifies them as the receiving team ("Missouri looks like they're bringing everybody after this kick!" -- when in fact they are the team kicking).

The other day the CPU intercepted me and returned inside my ten. They scored a touchdown on their next offensive play. The drive summary graphic reported this: 0 plays, 88 yards, 27:30 time of possession. I play 6 minute quarters, mind you... do the math.

At least twice a game, I call a play and the offense simply runs the wrong play. I know I haven't hit the wrong button because there's only one button to press - A.

I have tried a million slider combinations to make this game playable. Some are there if not for the INT problem. I pass using the vision cone and I don't throw it unless the receiver is not only in the cone but also single-covered.

I'm running out of ideas and patience. I asked the local GameStop to accept it for full-price merchandise credit, but they refused. Joke of the Day: maybe EA will release a patch...

*Sigh*

Im sorry but most of your compliants sound REAALLY nitpicky. Its a video game they always have a few kinks and bugs, the least of which is Oh the commentator said the wrong thing. Incorrect Drive summary? that makes you want to return the game? Int's are happening so much becuase alot of people dont know how not to throw the ball into coverage, me included. Im playing on default all american, and yes there are some bad kinks that pop up, hell my game keeps freezing, but when it plays its awesome.

Last edited by feeq14; 07-25-2007 at 04:12 PM.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »