Home

This game story = Best of all time

This is a discussion on This game story = Best of all time within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-29-2007, 11:40 AM   #1
MVP

TheGamingChef's Arena

OVR: 18
This game story = Best of all time

OK, so I'm playing my best buddy in NCAA 08 on my Xbox. It's our first game against each other. As always, I control Iowa State and he's Iowa, so I'm at a disadvantage from the get-go. The first game is always the most competitive between us. I don't know what it is, but whoever wins that first game gets bragging rights about it for at least a month. I was psyched up and raring to go. I made my usual depth chart tweaks (this is important!) and started it up.

I got out to a quick score and he responded with a 80 yard TD pass. Our defenses seemed nonexistent for this first half and I went to the half down 27-21. The second half was really a different story - defenses dominated. I couldn't get anything going - Jason Scales (my starting RB) was injured and left the game, and my subpar O-line wasn't holding up for me at all. The good news was that my defense was playing great as well. With 3 minutes left to go in the game, we'd both pushed in one FG but that was all - 30-24 him, but I've got the ball.

I embark on a long, traditional drive. I feel in the zone, like I'm now occupying some football Zen area that I didn't know existed. I'm moving the football very well but both of my attempts at a long TD pass were swatted down. Before I know it, there's :30 remaining and I'm on the 15. I still have 1 TO left, so I think I'll run for it first. I run the option and gain 4 yards. I press the "Back" button for a TO. Nothing happens. My friend laughs as I go to the Pause screen and see that I didn't have a TO! I call no huddle and audible to a pass, any pass, and I see my players running across the screen as the time counts down... 4... 3... 2... I snap the ball and roll out to the wide side of the field, and I see R.J. Sumrall, my #2 WR, break free in the end zone. I chuck it to him and - HE CATCHES IT!

At this point I dance around the room but I hear my friend say "You still need 1 more." And this is true, I do. I call for the PAT and he's got the meanest FG Block crew on the field he could muster up. I edited my depth chart earlier to have my starting QB, Bret Meyer, as my holder, because just in case I needed to pass out of this, I wanted the best arm available. Anyways, I line up the kick, take a deep breath, and begin the process. My kicker's running up for what is sure to be a made kick as I see a white and black Iowa jersey flying through the air like a bird directly in front of the kick area.

I freeze up and watch in horror as the kicker boots the ball directly into the chest of the Iowa defender. The ball bounds straight behind my holder, Meyer, but an Iowa player gets there first. And this Iowa guy is fast! I'm literally screaming "NO!" as he grabs the ball and begins a mad dash down the sideline. I switch to Bret Meyer and chase after him. There's no one else within 50 yards of us as he gets to the 40... the 30... the 20... I can tell that I'm gaining ever so slowly but will it be fast enough?... The 10... I catch up to him and put a hit on him... and... he fumbles. He fumbles the ball! Now there's no one else there and we're both on the ground. My friend and I are yelling incoherently at the TV as our players crawl off the ground heading for the ball, which is at the 2. I get there first and he dives for it - I get out of the way. And I take off the other way.

The rest of this cannot be fully explained in its true deserving amazingness. What followed was the best 98 yard return I have ever seen in my life. It involved a Highlight Stick move, two spins, and a dive for the pylon right at the end. I was in shock. I didn't see if the game counted it as 2 points or 6 (I'd be interested to see which it did) because right as I dove into the end zone my friend shouted, slammed the controller down, and kicked the power cord out of the Xbox, as I sat there laughing.

All I can say is this is easily the best finish of an NCAA game I've ever seen, heard, read about, or been a part of. I'm still in shock. And my buddy is still in denial.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-29-2007, 12:14 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

Heelfan71's Arena

OVR: 44
Re: This game story = Best of all time

nice. friend is an *** for kicking the power chord out though.
Old 07-29-2007, 12:18 PM   #3
MVP

Rainey's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGamingChef
OK, so I'm playing my best buddy in NCAA 08 on my Xbox. It's our first game against each other. As always, I control Iowa State and he's Iowa, so I'm at a disadvantage from the get-go. The first game is always the most competitive between us. I don't know what it is, but whoever wins that first game gets bragging rights about it for at least a month. I was psyched up and raring to go. I made my usual depth chart tweaks (this is important!) and started it up.

I got out to a quick score and he responded with a 80 yard TD pass. Our defenses seemed nonexistent for this first half and I went to the half down 27-21. The second half was really a different story - defenses dominated. I couldn't get anything going - Jason Scales (my starting RB) was injured and left the game, and my subpar O-line wasn't holding up for me at all. The good news was that my defense was playing great as well. With 3 minutes left to go in the game, we'd both pushed in one FG but that was all - 30-24 him, but I've got the ball.

I embark on a long, traditional drive. I feel in the zone, like I'm now occupying some football Zen area that I didn't know existed. I'm moving the football very well but both of my attempts at a long TD pass were swatted down. Before I know it, there's :30 remaining and I'm on the 15. I still have 1 TO left, so I think I'll run for it first. I run the option and gain 4 yards. I press the "Back" button for a TO. Nothing happens. My friend laughs as I go to the Pause screen and see that I didn't have a TO! I call no huddle and audible to a pass, any pass, and I see my players running across the screen as the time counts down... 4... 3... 2... I snap the ball and roll out to the wide side of the field, and I see R.J. Sumrall, my #2 WR, break free in the end zone. I chuck it to him and - HE CATCHES IT!

At this point I dance around the room but I hear my friend say "You still need 1 more." And this is true, I do. I call for the PAT and he's got the meanest FG Block crew on the field he could muster up. I edited my depth chart earlier to have my starting QB, Bret Meyer, as my holder, because just in case I needed to pass out of this, I wanted the best arm available. Anyways, I line up the kick, take a deep breath, and begin the process. My kicker's running up for what is sure to be a made kick as I see a white and black Iowa jersey flying through the air like a bird directly in front of the kick area.

I freeze up and watch in horror as the kicker boots the ball directly into the chest of the Iowa defender. The ball bounds straight behind my holder, Meyer, but an Iowa player gets there first. And this Iowa guy is fast! I'm literally screaming "NO!" as he grabs the ball and begins a mad dash down the sideline. I switch to Bret Meyer and chase after him. There's no one else within 50 yards of us as he gets to the 40... the 30... the 20... I can tell that I'm gaining ever so slowly but will it be fast enough?... The 10... I catch up to him and put a hit on him... and... he fumbles. He fumbles the ball! Now there's no one else there and we're both on the ground. My friend and I are yelling incoherently at the TV as our players crawl off the ground heading for the ball, which is at the 2. I get there first and he dives for it - I get out of the way. And I take off the other way.

The rest of this cannot be fully explained in its true deserving amazingness. What followed was the best 98 yard return I have ever seen in my life. It involved a Highlight Stick move, two spins, and a dive for the pylon right at the end. I was in shock. I didn't see if the game counted it as 2 points or 6 (I'd be interested to see which it did) because right as I dove into the end zone my friend shouted, slammed the controller down, and kicked the power cord out of the Xbox, as I sat there laughing.

All I can say is this is easily the best finish of an NCAA game I've ever seen, heard, read about, or been a part of. I'm still in shock. And my buddy is still in denial.
Wow,that is the best ending of all time. That can not be topped.
Old 07-29-2007, 12:28 PM   #4
MVP

TheGamingChef's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heelfan71
nice. friend is an *** for kicking the power chord out though.
I wouldn't say so.. honestly, I would have done the same. The first annual game of the season is a HUGE deal for both of us.
Old 07-29-2007, 12:30 PM   #5
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

OVR: 22

That sounds horrible.

Too bad the friend kicked out the powercord. If there was ever a replay to save, that was it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-29-2007, 12:33 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

Heelfan71's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGamingChef
I wouldn't say so.. honestly, I would have done the same. The first annual game of the season is a HUGE deal for both of us.
yeah, just sucks that you couldn't view the stats and see how that last score was recorded. Plust it would of been nice to save that replay.
Old 07-29-2007, 12:53 PM   #7
It's about that time

greenegt's Arena

OVR: 16

Great story! Serves your friend right for getting greedy. All he had to do was recover the blocked kick and lay down.

PSN: OGMeanGreene

Twitter: @greenegt
Old 07-29-2007, 01:04 PM   #8
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenegt
Great story! Serves your friend right for getting greedy. All he had to do was recover the blocked kick and lay down.
Exactly! I love to hear stories where greedy people fail because of it. That's fantastic!

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »