Home

Tips for reading the defense

This is a discussion on Tips for reading the defense within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-30-2007, 05:17 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 10
Tips for reading the defense

I know a good amount about Football but am not anywhere close to very knowledgeable. How exactly do you read the defense properly and adjust to whatever you see? Could someone elaborate on that? Also how about finding an open man. I'm terrible at finding one.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-30-2007, 05:24 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 7
Re: Tips for reading the defense

It took me about 8 games to get the hang of this. Basically, if there are 2 guys aligned across from him, he's in the double coverage. If you have a slot WR and a LB is covering him, he'll probably be open especially if you change his route to a fly or one where he can use his speed. If you have a split end and the corner is on his inside, try hot routing to an out route. Those are just examples, but you need to pick up on little things like that.
Old 07-30-2007, 05:34 PM   #3
MVP

mudtiger's Arena

OVR: 16

When passing, my routine goes like this...

Pre snap read, look for mis-matches or guys uncovered. Look at play art and try to figure out who will come open and select primary, secondary, and hot(if blitzed) receivers. Know your playbook and know how your routes work against man vs zone.

At the snap, watch the LBs for the blitz. If they are blitzing look to the hot receiver (guy coming out of backfield or short slant usually). Depending on the situation, hold the ball as long as possible to see if the blitz is picked up and throw a deeper route if possible.

If the LBs don't blitz pick up on if they are in zone or man. If zone, they usually drop back, if man they turn and run to pick up their guy. If zone, find the holes in the zone. If man, scan the field quickly for open guys, then look back to the primary and secondary receivers. If neither are open, try to pick out a last resort guy. If he's not open, look at pocket and decide whether to run for it, throw it away, or keep looking.

If I'm looking to throw an intermediate or deep pass, after reading the LBs, I look at the safeties. Are they zone or man? If zone, are they moving to the middle of the field leaving sideline routes open, or are they moving to the sidelines leaving over the middle routes open. If they move to cover someone, watch out, they are either blitzing from somewhere or doubling someone.

Spend a lot of time in practice mode running various pass plays against various defenses to figure out what route combinations work best against which defenses.
Old 07-30-2007, 05:34 PM   #4
MIB Crew

rspencer86's Arena

OVR: 49

One simple thing that I do is sending a WR in motion. If a defender follows him, the defense is in a man. If the defense stays pat, they are likely in a zone.

University of Missouri '09
Twitter: @RyanASpencer

Royals / Chiefs / Bulls / Mizzou / Sporting KC

PSN: MizzouTigerrr
Old 07-30-2007, 05:37 PM   #5
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudtiger
When passing, my routine goes like this...

Pre snap read, look for mis-matches or guys uncovered. Look at play art and try to figure out who will come open and select primary, secondary, and hot(if blitzed) receivers. Know your playbook and know how your routes work against man vs zone.

At the snap, watch the LBs for the blitz. If they are blitzing look to the hot receiver (guy coming out of backfield or short slant usually). Depending on the situation, hold the ball as long as possible to see if the blitz is picked up and throw a deeper route if possible.

If the LBs don't blitz pick up on if they are in zone or man. If zone, they usually drop back, if man they turn and run to pick up their guy. If zone, find the holes in the zone. If man, scan the field quickly for open guys, then look back to the primary and secondary receivers. If neither are open, try to pick out a last resort guy. If he's not open, look at pocket and decide whether to run for it, throw it away, or keep looking.

If I'm looking to throw an intermediate or deep pass, after reading the LBs, I look at the safeties. Are they zone or man? If zone, are they moving to the middle of the field leaving sideline routes open, or are they moving to the sidelines leaving over the middle routes open. If they move to cover someone, watch out, they are either blitzing from somewhere or doubling someone.

Spend a lot of time in practice mode running various pass plays against various defenses to figure out what route combinations work best against which defenses.
Fantastic post. I will follow this exactly during my next game in a few minutes. Also to the post above mine, how do you send someone in motion? It usually is just the right analog stick but this year it isn't.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-30-2007, 05:41 PM   #6
MVP

mudtiger's Arena

OVR: 16

Do not underestimate practice mode. It used to be a huge help when you could select a pass play then have the cpu randomly select a defense. Now you have to select the defense (no more random play selection), but it still helps tremendously to spend 15 minutes in practice running your playbook's pass plays against zone, man, and the blitz to see which plays and routes work the best against what defense.
Old 07-30-2007, 05:43 PM   #7
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudtiger
Do not underestimate practice mode. It used to be a huge help when you could select a pass play then have the cpu randomly select a defense. Now you have to select the defense (no more random play selection), but it still helps tremendously to spend 15 minutes in practice running your playbook's pass plays against zone, man, and the blitz to see which plays and routes work the best against what defense.
Ok, ya I think I will do that for a while and then apply it in a real game later. What you told me to do applies to professional football also correct? Football is football but sometimes college is a little different.
Old 07-30-2007, 06:21 PM   #8
Rookie

frago's Arena

OVR: 6

An easy method to see if they are zone or man is watch the CB take his position. If he kind of walks over its mostly zone. If he sprints its man. He doesnt really walk but moves slower than the sprint.
Try it out.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »