Home

INT's - I have found success...

This is a discussion on INT's - I have found success... within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-13-2007, 12:39 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: INT's - I have found success...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardot
Yeah, this theory would seem to fit the wacky EA world of logic that incorporates motivation, momentum, clutch factor and all the other crap that they have whipped into the algorithm. This game would be so much better if they stuck to the basics, and then just let the percentages play out.

None the less, good tip Sammy. I will give it a shot. Unlike many of the pro's here, I also have problems throwing ints myself. I admit that I am not good, and I am quite sure I never will be.
I have played NCAA each year it has come out and still think 2004 (is this the correct one?) was best yet. You could devfend the pass, make reads on the D, and felt like you had control of the game. With this years the graphics and animations are awesome, but at times the game feels out of your controll.

I.E. a 99 rated QB accuracy throws a ball 8 yards behing a wide open WR for a pick. Or a crossing route that is thrown to a wide open WR only to have a DB who is garding another player who has his back to the play use ESP, turn, cut infront of said WR to make a fantastic pick...

However these are few an far between and I must admit, though i have played the games a ton, I still suckat passing....I like the ole POWER OPTION.....

I agree about letting the game play out. Basic things like line of sight, player ratings, etc.. should be the main concern. Still I will say this, this is only the second game in the current generation and all I see is potential for this series....
Old 08-13-2007, 01:22 PM   #10
Banned

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
I read the D, read it incorrectly, force a pass and have a pick-6 almost every game against me. I guess that's why I'm 1-5 in year two with Bama and have already started packing my bags.

I'm actually playing on AA with def. awareness, knockdowns and INTs at 0 for both the user and CPU (I do have QB accuracy at 40 for both). I'm not very good on offense and it lets me pass better and also keeps the cpu from throwing too many picks. The CPU has thrown between 0-2 INTs in my last 7 or 8 games with at least two games of no picks. Obviously the better passers should increase the cpu def. awareness but I need this and just recently dropped it to zero out of desperation. If I get any worse I will need to drop down to Varsity but the rest of the game is good for me.
Are you still enjoying this game.
Old 08-13-2007, 01:36 PM   #11
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunt
Are you still enjoying this game.
I am still enjoying the game despite some of its flaws. I always look forward to my next game and then curse when I throw another pick lol. I think in my first year with Bama I threw 28 INTs in 12 games. I'm on pace to throw more INTs this year but I did remove all cupcakes from my schedule. I'll still get fired but that's OK. I might try the PAC 10 next.

A lot of the picks I throw are my fault but the game really prevents you from throwing better passes on good reads because you can't put enough touch on the ball. Its very frustrating when you make a good read and can't get the ball where you want. Forcing passes just kills you in the game though. You get punished severely by way of INTs. Taking a sack instead of forcing passes is a very tough adjustment. Defensively I think the game needs more weight/momentum for the players and they need to improve the DL play.

The game is simply harder than what I'm used to from coming from the PS2 version. Its a steep learning curve but I've grown to like the game more and more when I play it. The first 6 or 7 games I played it I wasn't sure I was going to buy it but I eventually grew to enjoy it quite a bit. The foundation is there for a really good game next year as there are quite a few areas they could make improvements imo.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-13-2007, 02:14 PM   #12
Hall Of Fame

NoleFan's Arena

OVR: 22

The game is, to me, just harder than anything we've played before. How much more realistic it is, to me, is debatable. For whatever reason though, I can't stop playing it no matter how much I want to.
Old 08-13-2007, 03:13 PM   #13
I love meaty chics

ac11367's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFan
The game is, to me, just harder than anything we've played before. How much more realistic it is, to me, is debatable.
This game is realistic when you throw the ball into coverage, it get intercepted majority of the time. Previous versions of this game gave us a break by having the defender dropping sure interceptions. Not so this year.

This game is not realistic when the DB is trailing the WR in man-to-man coverage with his back turned from the line of scrimmage, but yet can turn his body to intercept a pass after the ball is thrown. So in this game, whichever direction the players' head is turning has no practical purpose, it's just an useless animation.

Still, I'm having a lot of fun with this game, I just altered my playing style to smash-mouth football: three yards and a cloud of dust, and make sure I choose a team that has a nasty defense.
Old 08-13-2007, 03:23 PM   #14
Hall Of Fame

NoleFan's Arena

Although I still know something is off in the game, my interceptions have gone down. I threw about 33 in year 1, 22 in year 2 and through 9 games in year 3 have only thrown 13. I don't feel like I'm getting any better though, for whatever reason. I've quit severals game throughout the season...something that I haven't done since I used to think I was a gamer before finding my true coach mode calling.
Old 08-14-2007, 01:42 AM   #15
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac11367
This game is realistic when you throw the ball into coverage, it get intercepted majority of the time. Previous versions of this game gave us a break by having the defender dropping sure interceptions. Not so this year.
I do like the fact that you don't see a bunch of lobs into triple coverage being completed as in previous EA games. But they did seem to take it a little too far. I really struggle with the hook patters where the defender knows exactly when to cut.... even before my receiver who knows the play.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-14-2007, 08:40 AM   #16
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

The game is just incredibly punishing for making bad decisions. I think EA has really gone away from the casual gamer with this game because I don't believe the casual fan can pop in a game of NCAA on default AA and not throw a bunch of picks imo. You can't just pick a random play, drop back and wing it anymore. The deep ball is clearly dead compared to the PS2 version as well (too dead imo).

To be successful passing the ball in this game you have to have a deliberate gameplan for every single play. You can't sleepwalk through anything anymore. If you predetermine where you are going with the ball before the snap you will be in trouble.

Ingredients for success:
  1. You have to know your play. On every play you need to know your WR routes and have a primary and secondary target picked out for both man, zone and blitz type of defenses.
  2. You have to determine what the defense is doing. You have to watch the safeties and LBs at the snap and determine quickly if you are seeing a zone, man-to-man or heavy blitz defense. Your primary and secondary targets will change drastically based on this.
  3. You can't panic and force a throw. Let the routes open up. Let the deep in or out patterns develop. Taking a sack is better than throwing too soon when the WR isn't open enough yet or gotten into the hole in the zone. Sometimes nobody will be open or the window to complete a pass is so small you just can't risk the throw. Dump offs to backs in the flat can really help. Punting isn't so bad.
I struggle with doing this myself and still throw many ill advised passes that end in picks. I do think you can be successful but its not easy imo and requires work.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »