Home

8 Recruting Tips for 1* to 6* Achievement

This is a discussion on 8 Recruting Tips for 1* to 6* Achievement within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-13-2007, 12:18 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 4
8 Recruting Tips for 1* to 6* Achievement

I think I've figured out some ways to help those guys going for that 1* to 6* achievement. This list is by no means exhaustive, but here are some tips that have helped me immensely...

1. The first 4 weeks is information gathering time. Try to set your non-conference home games later in the season for visits, because early visits are not helpful. You want to spend time getting as many of each prospect's interest uncovered. Don't just hard sell the mosts and very highs. Uncover every one if you can, but you should be able to uncover at least eight for each prospect by week four.

2. Weeks 5 through the end of the season is more about trimming the list. You've got 35 or so guys and you need to make some realistic decisions about who you can land and who you can't. If a guy is angry every time you call him and you aren't in his top 10 by week 5, then you need to cut bait and move on. Now is the time to start scheduling visits. Use the info from the schedule screen to get a free very high or most uncovered if you don't have it uncovered already. I like to schedule prospects' visits with big games. Also, with eight or more interests uncovered, you need to start swaying pitches. This makes a huge difference for smaller schools. Even if guys hang up on you, the most important thing is to get their interests as closely lined up to your strengths as possible. I've found that if you are successful in swaying a pitch, that it usually is a good idea to keep swaying other pitches on that call. I've swayed three and four pitches my way in one call several times. If you've got the Most and Very High categories uncovered, hard sell those pitches until he's smiling big (I even cancel the pitch once i see the teeth). Then get back to swaying. You can alternate like that and get several sways in per call.

3. Also, you need to keep about 30 people on your list at all times, even if it means only finding one pitch a week for the guys at the bottom. Don't let it fall lower than that, because you will lose some guys that you are expecting to sign. That's just the nature of the game. At the end of the season, you don't want to have exhausted your recruiting board and have 15 signees. Depth is key for bad teams and you need to be signing 20 guys or more every year to start out.

4. When looking for recruits, don't go by the stars. Use the prospect search tool to find speedy players at HB, CB, OLB, MLB, FS, SS, etc. & search for players over 350 pounds at DT and OL. I've signed several 2* players who are better than 4* recruits at their same position. Especially check awareness because if you are playing with a 1* caliber school, you'll more than likely need these freshman to step in and play immediately. Awareness covers a multitude of deficiencies in other categories.

5. When it comes to promises, be realistic. Your integrity is going to be very important three years into the dynasty so it won't do to ruin in year one. In the 1* to 6* challenge, it's safe to promise a prospect that he won't redshirt (unless it's obvious that he will of course) because you'll probably need him to step in immediately. Once you've gotten good enough to win games, go ahead and promise winning records against rivals (especially if you have mulitple rivals because there'll be room for error). I find these are the easiest games to win because, and this could just be my imagination, there is less cheese in those games and both teams usually play well.

6. Rank your recruits according to interest level. This will keep you from chasing too many 5 and 4 star guys. Plus, the guys with high interest are much more likely to sign in-season.

7. As far as offering scholarships go. I like to offer when I'm #3 or higher on their board and they've already visited. Usually I will make sure they are smiling and then offer the scholarship. Most of the guys will not sign early, so you won't lose anything by waiting to offer until week 6 or so.

8. Lastly, stay in state as much as possible. Even a 1* school can be Elite in proximity to home. If that interest is sway-able, then you need to get on that as soon as possible. I've been hung up on a bunch, but still gotten that pitch to sway. It pays off to have it at Very High when you are competing against out of state big boys.

Hopefully that's helpful. If I've left something out, feel free to make comments, additions, or subtractions.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-13-2007, 12:22 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 17
Re: 8 Recruting Tips for 1* to 6* Achievement

This is a great post. I just started up a 1* to 6* dyansty with San Jose St and I am 5-3 i year one so far. I may be signing a 4* recruit soon though, as well as several 3* and some guys with potential at 2*
Old 08-13-2007, 12:28 PM   #3
MVP

mudtiger's Arena

OVR: 16

I agree with most of those.

I spend the first half of the year getting to know guys, then the 2nd half hard selling and swaying guys to my school. The guys that don't match my system fall on my board or even get removed.

I rank my recruits first by star rating, then reorganize based on my needs and their interests.

#4, I agree for the most part. I look for different things in recruits. I agree don't just go by star rating, but star rating definitely helps to give you a quick overview of a recruit.

A tip, After a particularly good visit (B+ or better), hard sell a recruit on your school's best attributes that the recruit has very high interest in, then offer a scholarship. That's how I usually get some recruits to sign early.

I also like to fill out all 35 slots, but the bottom 5 to 10 are usually 1 star guys that have my school as number 1. These guys don't get much interest from other schools so you can pay little to no attention to them and you'll stay their number one. I use these guys as insurance just in case my higher ranked guys fall through.
Old 08-13-2007, 12:32 PM   #4
MVP

I dont put 1* guys on my board at all. The ONLY exception would be if they had A+ speed or A+ awareness, but how many 1* guys will have that?
Old 08-13-2007, 12:34 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 7

Me neither. I think that's why some people think recruiting is too hard. I just put the best 35 guys that are interested in me and work from there. I've gotten the #1 class the past two years and the #2 class the first year when I had no idea what I was doing and never swayed a recruit or anything.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-13-2007, 12:38 PM   #6
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by nymets3000
Me neither. I think that's why some people think recruiting is too hard. I just put the best 35 guys that are interested in me and work from there. I've gotten the #1 class the past two years and the #2 class the first year when I had no idea what I was doing and never swayed a recruit or anything.
What team are you using?
Old 08-13-2007, 12:38 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 7

Miami Hurricanes
Old 08-13-2007, 01:25 PM   #8
MVP

mudtiger's Arena

OVR: 16

I need one star guys because I'm Air Force with lots of house rules on who I can recruit. I could see how if you are the hurricanes one star guys wouldn't be on your list.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »