Home

Lobbing and Leading Passes

This is a discussion on Lobbing and Leading Passes within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-15-2007, 06:19 AM   #1
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75
Lobbing and Leading Passes

We all know that the passing game is inconsistent in NCAA in terms of putting some touch on the ball and leading WRs. After throwing two INTs on corner routes where my WR was open but the ball was badly underthrown I decided to practice corner and fly routes and see if there was a way to improve. I found a couple things that I was doing wrong with one big improvement over what I was doing. I should note that I let the CPU drop back automatically for me.
  1. Do NOT lead the receiver until AFTER you have pushed his button.
  2. Use the d-pad instead of the Left analog stick to lead the receiver.
  3. Corner routes almost always need to be led further downfield. To lob it you must be VERY light on the button as its too sensitive imo but can be done.
I found the first point to be the most important by far. If I tried leading the receiver before I pushed the WR button or at the same time as I pushed the WR button, the pass was often lousy. When I pushed the button and led him just afterwards it seemed to work far better.

For point number two, I tried using the d-pad instead of the left analog stick since this was something that I remember working better in Madden 05. Using the d-pad I found that the QB was a bit more consistent in putting the ball where I wanted and I also thought it was a bit easier to use. I'm not sure if its significantly better but I did think there was a slight improvement (on the PS3 anyways).

On point number three, whenever I simply hit the receiver button to throw the corner route I felt the pass was underthrown far too often. I feel its almost mandatory to lead a corner route to the outside and up the field. You CAN lob the pass quite nicely with practice but you really have to light on the buttons as its very sensitive.

Maybe this was common knowledge to some of you but I thought this might come in handy for those struggling to throw downfield like myself.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-15-2007, 11:50 AM   #2
MVP

mudtiger's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: Lobbing and Leading Passes

I've found that I get a much better pass when I step into the throw. I let the qb auto drop back, then right before I want to throw, I push up and then hit the button. The qb moves forward some and then throws. I seem to always get a much better throw than when I don't do this.
Old 08-15-2007, 11:56 AM   #3
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudtiger
I've found that I get a much better pass when I step into the throw. I let the qb auto drop back, then right before I want to throw, I push up and then hit the button. The qb moves forward some and then throws. I seem to always get a much better throw than when I don't do this.
I was finding the opposite in practice mode. Sometimes I wonder if the PS3 game is a bit different than the 360.
Old 08-15-2007, 02:55 PM   #4
Rookie

Fluff E Bunny's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:

Seconded. I step into the direction I want to lead and then, still pushing left stick in the direction, press the receiver's button.

Stopped or still dropping back, the passes are horrible.
Old 08-15-2007, 03:45 PM   #5
All Star

SuperBowlNachos's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
That's how it is in real life to. They made it so you can't throw 50 yard bullet passes while still dropping back.

-----

How long after are you supposed to lead him? He throws it as soon as you hit the button, I don't think you can lead the receiver if the ball is in the air
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-15-2007, 03:55 PM   #6
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by olliethebum85
How long after are you supposed to lead him? He throws it as soon as you hit the button, I don't think you can lead the receiver if the ball is in the air

I lead him right after I push the button- sort of when the ball is coming out of his hand I guess. If I do it at the same time as I push the WR button I find the passes end up off target. Just give it a shot in the practice mode. Try using the d-pad instead of the analog stick as well. I thought it was a bit more consistent in putting it where I wanted.
Old 08-15-2007, 04:50 PM   #7
Rookie

WiggetyWes's Arena

OVR: 0

I actually noticed this same thing yesterday while playing. I was throwing to a receiver that was running a straight deep route with one on one coverage and no safety. I made sure my QB's feet were set, pressed the receiver button and then quickly pushed up on the analog stick. It threw a beautiful high and deep ball over the WR's shoulder. Previously I had been pressing the button and up at the same time, but not having great results. I'm going to keep trying this new way to see if I can get some consistency.
Old 08-15-2007, 06:55 PM   #8
Hall Of Fame

NoleFan's Arena

OVR: 22

rudy, you're a flippin' genius. I'm doing this in practice mode and it's really working. I've thrown some picks those were experimental plays. I mean, it not only works on deep pass but passes where you need to throw away from a defender. I'm using ECU against Notre Dame's defense and just completed a 40-yd TD pass!

NICE!

It's still early but you may have saved NCAA for me.

I'm on 360 by the way since you mentioned being on PS3 in the OP.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »