Home

Losing the National Championship Game

This is a discussion on Losing the National Championship Game within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-16-2007, 07:48 AM   #1
Bacon

CM1847's Arena

OVR: 19
Losing the National Championship Game

One of the biggest compliments I can give a game(or maybe the sliders?) is that it is tough enough to allow you to make the championship game/series but lose(when you actually play all of the games, of course). Normally, if you are good enough to reach the championship game/series in a videogame, you are probably going to win easily, at least from my experiences. It never seems to matter what kind of talent your team has, things are either way too easy and you win easily no matter what team you have or way too hard and even with one of the most talented teams in the game you can't win.

I had an A+ overall Notre Dame team in year 3, I am 10-1 heading into the last week of the season. My 1 loss being against a then #25 NC State team, another great sign, a loss to a less talented team even though I beat Michigan & USC, and also some close calls against B/B+ teams which is great to see. Anyway, I handle the B overall Wisconsin Badgers who are 7th overall in the polls, I finish #2 in all polls and get to play 11-1 Ohio State in the NC game.

So the point of my post, I get crushed by Ohio State in the NC game, 44-17 or something like that. They jumped on me early from a fumble and a bad throw for a pick-6. I never got back into the game after being down 28-0 in the first quarter. I am only posting this because I think it is really great that the game achieves this kind of balance. It is a very, very fine line between rewarding talent and having things be way too easy or way too hard.

Well done EA, the game isn't without its problems, but it is certainly well done in the most important part of any game - keeping things fun for somebody who has been playing the game pretty much non-stop for a full month. It's also having the negative(for EA) side-effect of keeping my from buying Madden, but I don't mind that at all. That's the end of my ramblings, I had the completely opposite mixed emotions of being mad as anything and being happy the game played so difficult while OSU was handing my backside to me last night in the NC game, so I thought I would share.

Anybody else having similar experiences with this game?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-16-2007, 08:31 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 1
Icon14 Re: Losing the National Championship Game

I haven't experienced this yet but I just have to say something. I have infinitely more respect for someone who will say what you just said than somebody who thinks the game is broken or full of "glitches" when they get whipped in a big game. Kudos on a great post.
Old 08-16-2007, 10:12 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 7
Re: Losing the National Championship Game

What sliders are you using?
Old 08-16-2007, 01:31 PM   #4
MVP

Mizzou23's Arena

OVR: 13

I'm having a great time with this game too. I feel like I have earned basically every win I've gotten in my dynasty mode. I was rolling along undefeated in my first year with Mizzou and K-State smoked me in the 2nd to last game of the season. I thought I would be able to walk all over them, but I couldn't do anything right.

Then in the first game of my second season, I stomped Illinois pretty good only to get upset at South Carolina the following week. I was stunned. Anyway, you always have to be on your toes with this game. You can't take any opponents lightly. Even Akron gave me a game for two quarters recently. I finally wore them down with my running game and ran away with the game in the 2nd half.
Old 08-16-2007, 01:39 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 4

I agree. I'm trying to do the 1* to 6* thing and have upset some pretty good teams (no ranked teams) and then i got beat by winless Arkansas State. My D-Line is bad and ASU just abused me with the running game. It was impressive to see the computer actually take advantage of a glaring weakness on my team.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-16-2007, 02:24 PM   #6
Pro

OVR: 8

A-FREAKING-men lol. I play on Heisman with sliders that balance out the game really well, and I'm trying to do the same thing, 1* to 6 with Ball State. I lost my first game of the season to Miami of Ohio, then proceeded to win my next 4, including a HUGE road win at Nebraska to go 4-1.

Then last night I play Central Michigan at home, and it was TOTAL let-down city. I got absolutely DESTROYED 51-24, probably the worst beating I have ever taken in NCAA Football lol. I mean I seriously don't know what happened but I got absolutely mauled.

So now we go to 4-2, and pick up the pieces.
Old 08-16-2007, 02:40 PM   #7
Can U spare a dollar?

GHUGHES's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM1847
One of the biggest compliments I can give a game(or maybe the sliders?) is that it is tough enough to allow you to make the championship game/series but lose(when you actually play all of the games, of course). Normally, if you are good enough to reach the championship game/series in a videogame, you are probably going to win easily, at least from my experiences. It never seems to matter what kind of talent your team has, things are either way too easy and you win easily no matter what team you have or way too hard and even with one of the most talented teams in the game you can't win.

I had an A+ overall Notre Dame team in year 3, I am 10-1 heading into the last week of the season. My 1 loss being against a then #25 NC State team, another great sign, a loss to a less talented team even though I beat Michigan & USC, and also some close calls against B/B+ teams which is great to see. Anyway, I handle the B overall Wisconsin Badgers who are 7th overall in the polls, I finish #2 in all polls and get to play 11-1 Ohio State in the NC game.

So the point of my post, I get crushed by Ohio State in the NC game, 44-17 or something like that. They jumped on me early from a fumble and a bad throw for a pick-6. I never got back into the game after being down 28-0 in the first quarter. I am only posting this because I think it is really great that the game achieves this kind of balance. It is a very, very fine line between rewarding talent and having things be way too easy or way too hard.

Well done EA, the game isn't without its problems, but it is certainly well done in the most important part of any game - keeping things fun for somebody who has been playing the game pretty much non-stop for a full month. It's also having the negative(for EA) side-effect of keeping my from buying Madden, but I don't mind that at all. That's the end of my ramblings, I had the completely opposite mixed emotions of being mad as anything and being happy the game played so difficult while OSU was handing my backside to me last night in the NC game, so I thought I would share.

Anybody else having similar experiences with this game?
Sounds Like Real life to me ND still cant keep a bowl game close lol
Old 08-16-2007, 03:12 PM   #8
*ld sch**l.

lgkeeper's Arena

OVR: 10

I agree completely. In my Colorado dynasty, I lose 2 of my first 4 non-con games (losses to Florida State and Arizona State and wins against Miami (OH) and Colorado State) then come back to trounce #6 Oklahoma. Nothing is completely predictable

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »