Home

For coach mode, worth going from 07 to 08 on the PS2

This is a discussion on For coach mode, worth going from 07 to 08 on the PS2 within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-16-2007, 08:49 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 3
For coach mode, worth going from 07 to 08 on the PS2

I play coach mode style where I hike the ball and let the CPU take over. Is it worth upgrading from 07 to 08 for the PS2 if you play coach mode? If so, what are the big differences - what's better or worse from last year's version playing coach mode?

I hadn't bought the 08 version yet because of the concern on the DB play against the run and the KR/PR for TD's (bad pursuit angles).

Any feedback would be appreciated - Thanks!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-18-2007, 06:45 AM   #2
Rookie

Re: For coach mode, worth going from 07 to 08 on the PS2

Anyone?
Old 08-19-2007, 03:13 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 2

JB- I can't answer that for you, but I would like confirmation there is a coach mode for the 08 PS2 version? Can you confirm that?

Thanks..

Jeff
Old 08-19-2007, 01:45 PM   #4
Rookie

Rhino25's Arena

For the PS2 version, there is a "coach mode", aka. Auto-Pass. I bought the PS3 version this year and it looked great. A week later I traded it in at Gamestop for the PS2 version. The PS3 version lacked the Auto-pass among other things (i.e. Overhead views, some of hte practice modes). To answer your question, I think that it is worth the PS2 version of 2008. They have fixed some of the AI logic which is very important when you let the CPU take over the play for you. For example, the RB will not run out of bounds automatically when catching a check-down pass like he did in last years version. The auto-motion is great. I play as Florida so having the WR go into motion and be in the right spot at the snap for a spread option play is important for more true game play. I am running the PS2 version in my PS3 and have been happy so far in the single game play. I down-loaded the roster update (waiting on possibly Blacklover doing his annual 'fix' of the roster) so I have all then names. I haven't tried dynasty version yet until I get a more mature roster file with updated depth charts, etc.

Hope this helps. I really hope that they put the 'Coach mode' in the PS3 version next year as the graphics look really good but for this 40 something, I just want to call the plays and not master psuhing the controller's buttons.

Go Gators - Class of 1986!
Rhino
Old 08-19-2007, 08:17 PM   #5
Rookie

Rhino - Thanks for the info. Can you comment on the DB angles of pursuit? Do you see too many TD's in rushing the ball or on KO/Punt returns? Also, do you see any other improvements in the game like better pass defense AI logic?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-21-2007, 01:11 AM   #6
Rookie

mierk's Arena

OVR: 4

I also play coach mode and went to 08. The pass defense is much better, DBs and LBs will actually catch the ball if it hits them in the hands, so you see alot more interceptions. The downside of this is...you see a lot more interceptions. I'm sure you've seen all the posts trying to figure the issue out, but it's probably different for coach moders than for stick jockeys.

I can deal alot better with passes getting picked that should be picked. I get frustrated when my senior QB with good accuracy and awareness ratings is throwing 2-3 picks a game -- horrific, running one way and throwing lobs across his body off his back foot to the other side of the field type stuff. In 2 seasons I had 30-35 picks, and that was with mostly turning to a power running offense to mitigate all the interceptions by pounding the rock 35 times a game.

On your question with the pursuit angles, they are pretty crappy at times, you'll see guys who are dead ahead of you wheel around and run towards the spot you just vacated sometimes, but I haven't done any checking to see how much of that is related to the players awareness rating, and it's not an every single time deal so it hasn't been a gamekiller for me.

The recruiting has a couple of new tweaks but it's pretty much the same system -- you can make promises to players who ask for something special, like playing time or a particular position or even a particular jersey number, and pick activities for him to do on inseason recruiting. These all seem to be mostly window dressing though, as the system is largely unchanged from previous years.

Overall, I'm enjoying the game, I think the biggest change overall is that it seems to be weighted more towards the defense than in previous years which will definitely make you adjust your playing style. If you're good at strategy and not relying on tricking the computer with money plays and exploits though, you can still be successful, which I think is all any of us are wanting
from the game.
Old 08-21-2007, 11:23 PM   #7
Rookie

I too like to play coach mode which is why I picked up the PS2 version. I often find though that the CPU simply does not play the game smart. Alot of times I will play offense both to keep from things getting goofy.

Case in point. I am playing my Cornhuskers at Boston College. Due to bad mistakes on my part, I get behind 24-0 going into the second half. The CPU (BC) throws the ball like they are down 24, when infact they lead by 24. I would guess they are throwing at a 5 to 1 ratio.

Simply not very smart. You would see a team run a little more, eat up the clock. Instead they throw a couple picks and the Huskers get back in the game.

When playing coach mode do you ever play offense for the other team? I know it might not be truly a game against the CPU, but I do it to keep things a little more inline with reality.

Jeff
Old 08-22-2007, 01:41 AM   #8
Rookie

mierk's Arena

OVR: 4

I haven't tried that. I find that when I'm playing evenly matched teams, generally there will be enough "issues" with both teams to keep things fun, if not always super realistic.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »