Home

How The Hell Do You Stop CPU Pass Rush?

This is a discussion on How The Hell Do You Stop CPU Pass Rush? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-20-2007, 01:13 PM   #33
Rookie

capone2117's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: How The Hell Do You Stop CPU Pass Rush?

I had sack problems the first few times I played...since learning the buttons and getting to know the game, I don't have sack problems at all.
You kinda have to have some football sense. Not to offend anyone, but expecting to have a clean dropback on a 3rd and 7, is comparable to expecting Jessica Alba to come over to your house in skimpy clothing, there's a small chance it could happen, but 99.99% of the time she won't come over.
What I am trying to say here is know the defense. To have a successful offense, you have to think of what the defense will be doing in a situation and counter it. Once you have done this and you come up to the line, you have several options to protect your qb against the sack.

1. Audible either your TE, FB, or RB to block for you. This could buy you an extra second, because backs are not the greatest pass blockers.
2. Audible a suitable "hot" route for your receivers.
a. You see a linebacker showing blitz, hot route a quick slant to that side.
b. You see linebacker blitzing to the TE side, hit a quick hook, slant, or fly to TE
c. Your unsure of blitz, but feel it is coming, flare the HB or FB
d. Safeties up and showing blitz, hot route fly to WR
You'll get the hang of it and will be able to come up with your own gamebreaking hot routes because when the defense blitzes, it leaves holes in the defense and this is when you can take advantage and get big gains.
3. Use your line shifts to help your qb get extra drop back time.
a. You see d-line to the left, shift your line to the left & aubile back to block right
b. You see d-line to the right, shift your line to the right & aubile back to block left
c. You cant't tell where the blitz is coming from, shift your line with the down button, which will create a nice tight pocket for your qb.
d. You think corners are blitzing or a zone blitz is on, shift your line with the up button, which spreads the line out and protects the qb from outside pressure...the key to this is, you need to have your back or backs audibled to block the inside pressure...it is tricky, teh first few times your qb might bump your qb and cause a mishap, so know the direction they are going and drop back accordingly...
4. Run your offense like a real life coordinator would...I know the typical run, run, pass is kinda boring, but if you like passing the ball, mix up lots of runs. Take a look at all the teams who pass first, run second...They run tons of draws, qb options designed for the hb to take the ball and run, true options, and designed sweeps or inside runs...

Hopefully this will help a few people and not just be a waste of space, but it is the easiest way I can explain it without getting all the "real life" football explainations put on the board...Good luck and try these in practice against random defensive plays....Have fun

Last edited by capone2117; 08-20-2007 at 01:33 PM. Reason: mention other things...
Old 08-20-2007, 06:46 PM   #34
MVP

TWOSILK's Arena

OVR: 19

[quote=capone2117;2037673060]I had sack problems the first few times I played...since learning the buttons and getting to know the game, I don't have sack problems at all.
You kinda have to have some football sense. Not to offend anyone, but expecting to have a clean dropback on a 3rd and 7, is comparable to expecting Jessica Alba to come over to your house in skimpy clothing, there's a small chance it could happen, but 99.99% of the time she won't come over.
What I am trying to say here is know the defense. To have a successful offense, you have to think of what the defense will be doing in a situation and counter it. Once you have done this and you come up to the line, you have several options to protect your qb against the sack.

1. Audible either your TE, FB, or RB to block for you. This could buy you an extra second, because backs are not the greatest pass blockers.
2. Audible a suitable "hot" route for your receivers.
a. You see a linebacker showing blitz, hot route a quick slant to that side.
b. You see linebacker blitzing to the TE side, hit a quick hook, slant, or fly to TE
c. Your unsure of blitz, but feel it is coming, flare the HB or FB
d. Safeties up and showing blitz, hot route fly to WR
You'll get the hang of it and will be able to come up with your own gamebreaking hot routes because when the defense blitzes, it leaves holes in the defense and this is when you can take advantage and get big gains.
a. You see d-line to the left, shift your line to the left & aubile back to block right
b. You see d-line to the right, shift your line to the right & aubile back to block left
c. You cant't tell where the blitz is coming from, shift your line with the down button, which will create a nice tight pocket for your qb.
d. You think corners are blitzing or a zone blitz is on, shift your line with the up button, which spreads the line out and protects the qb from outside pressure...the key to this is, you need to have your back or backs audibled to block the inside pressure...it is tricky, teh first few times your qb might bump your qb and cause a mishap, so know the direction they are going and drop back accordingly...
4. Run your offense like a real life coordinator would...I know the typical run, run, pass is kinda boring, but if you like passing the ball, mix up lots of runs. Take a look at all the teams who pass first, run second...They run tons of draws, qb options designed for the hb to take the ball and run, true options, and designed sweeps or inside runs...

This all sounds good except for next gen seems to be heavily favored for the defense because if you send 7 and i am in four wide i should have a mismatch outside that i can exploit with either a go or a quick slant but the defense is too good for either, if you throw the slant the blitzing lb will stop on a dime and either pick it off or if you are lucky will just bat it down, and you can forget throwing a go route because you can not get seperation to save your soul, i played with the gators and no matter where i lined percy harvin(speed 96) the person guarding him would just stay with him stride for stride, lb's safety it did not matter, the deep ball is dead in this game, you cant get separation, and when you do the qb will not throw a lob to save his scholarship.
Old 08-21-2007, 11:20 AM   #35
Rookie

capone2117's Arena

OVR: 4

What level are you playing at? I am on AA and have everything at 50 except for kds(75) and int (0)...I am able to pull off what I said, but not everything is done at 100%...that is football and quite frankly I posted all this to help people's success rate, not cheat the cpu and beat them for huge gains every single play...but I will tell you one thing...you develop the right touch and your flys will work...try this, run a fly with said FL receiver...on your drop back, take the following drop back: 1 step,2 step,3 step, SET YOUR FEET and lob deep to your corresponding receiver...this will work 30 to 50 percent of the time, depending on coverage...It is possible to run the routes I mentioned...you just have to know how to read defenses and know how to throw...one thing that will help you is setting your feet...the second thing that will help is getting rid of the ball early and letting your receiver run to it...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-21-2007, 01:01 PM   #36
MVP

Mizzou23's Arena

OVR: 13

It really helps to switch up your snap count. I will almost never just run up to the line and snap the ball. I will either do a hard count or let my guys just sit at the line of scrimmage for a few seconds and let the playclock count down. Anything to keep the defense guessing. This really seems to help with the number of "good jump's" I see out of the CPU.

I agree with one of the posters above. Jump the Snap is a stupid feature and should be removed. Or, at the very least, GIVE US THE OPTION TO TURN IT OFF!!!!!!
Old 08-21-2007, 01:05 PM   #37
KG
Welcome Back

KG's Arena

OVR: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou23
It really helps to switch up your snap count. I will almost never just run up to the line and snap the ball. I will either do a hard count or let my guys just sit at the line of scrimmage for a few seconds and let the playclock count down. Anything to keep the defense guessing. This really seems to help with the number of "good jump's" I see out of the CPU.

I agree with one of the posters above. Jump the Snap is a stupid feature and should be removed. Or, at the very least, GIVE US THE OPTION TO TURN IT OFF!!!!!!

hard counts definately work but I hate when i try to quick snap after 2 1/2 qtrs of hard counts and the computer times it.....
Old 08-21-2007, 01:56 PM   #38
Hall Of Fame

NoleFan's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgx2thez
hard counts definately work but I hate when i try to quick snap after 2 1/2 qtrs of hard counts and the computer times it.....
Burns my toast also!
Old 08-21-2007, 04:52 PM   #39
MVP

TWOSILK's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by capone2117
What level are you playing at? I am on AA and have everything at 50 except for kds(75) and int (0)...I am able to pull off what I said, but not everything is done at 100%...that is football and quite frankly I posted all this to help people's success rate, not cheat the cpu and beat them for huge gains every single play...but I will tell you one thing...you develop the right touch and your flys will work...try this, run a fly with said FL receiver...on your drop back, take the following drop back: 1 step,2 step,3 step, SET YOUR FEET and lob deep to your corresponding receiver...this will work 30 to 50 percent of the time, depending on coverage...It is possible to run the routes I mentioned...you just have to know how to read defenses and know how to throw...one thing that will help you is setting your feet...the second thing that will help is getting rid of the ball early and letting your receiver run to it...
I play on AA default and i see your point i was just able to finally throw deep and the key was setting my feet and when i release the ball actually press up on the controller seems to get some extra lift on the ball this also helps the age old problem of the super lb's that have plagued this series over the last three or four years completed my first post route over a linebacker and almost had a orgasm thanks for the feet planting tip this may have saved the game for me.
Old 08-21-2007, 05:54 PM   #40
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by capone2117

Capone, which system are you on. I ask because I didn't think you could shift the oline on next gen.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »