Home

Recuiting Style

This is a discussion on Recuiting Style within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-13-2007, 04:38 PM   #17
MVP

OVR: 17
Re: Recuiting Style

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWOSILK
has anyone ever signed anyone that did not have them in the green, I have never tried figuring that this was a waste of time, is it?? or can it be done????
yes, it is possible. i signed a 4 star 6'4" WR with 97 speed this past season. I could not resist the 6'4" A+ speed and had to go for it. you just have to spend more time with him is all.
Old 09-13-2007, 04:43 PM   #18
MVP

I look for different things for different positions but using Ohio State, I can get the cream of the crop so I usually start there. Here is how I handle each position.

QB - pocket passer with best THP and THA possible. This will typically exist on the #1 QB recruit which I will try to sign once every 2 years.
RB - Speed, speed, and more speed. I have found that getting the throwing game going is a billion times easier if you have speed at HB. Versus man a LB will typically be assigned to cover him and the bigger the difference in speed there the easier it is to throw outs, ins and drags to the HB. They are safe and can lead to huge yardage!
FB - Running all ace, I don't recruit a single one. They are all walkons.
WR - Speed first, then height, then Spectacular catch, then Jumping. The heaviest rating is speed, I will not recruit a kid slower then A- speed unless he is a giant with great ups and spectacular catching abilities. Typically, I don't want anyone under A speed since I usually only run 2 WR sets so my need at depth isn't really there. I would rather have the best on the field so why over recruit?
TE - This has been a hard one for me to recruit what I want but I use the TE a TON to pass to. Ideally a 6'5" or larger with good hands and tons of speed would be ideal. I definitely put size, speed and hands in front of blocking but since I recruit the best of the best, odds are they will be a decent blocker although I signed zero good TEs in year 1. I am focusing on a couple here in year 2 since I have huge holes to fill at that position and they get a TON of passes in my system.
O-Line - Here I just go with the highest rated. I try to get one of the 5 stars every year or so and keep the roster going with some depth.
D-Line - See O-Line (Because I do like to run the 5-2 to shut down the run, I need 3 good DTs. While I am good now I am having problems getting good young talent in here so when my kids leave, I maybe have to move away form this formation unless I can get some kids in here this year.)
LBs - I rely on ranked position heavily but do look at speed and size. If there are 2 guys that are close in rank, I will go for the bigger faster guy and spend time recruiting him.
CBs - Speed first, size second. Because I recruit at the top of the food chain they all have A+ or A AWR so only speed and size matter. I won't recruit anyone under A- speed and prefer A to A+ speed here but that is rare. Since I run a ton of 3-4 and 5-2 man blitzes, I need 2 solid CBs that can man up the fastest of WRs and get no help. A combination of a solid from 7 in year one applying a ton of pressure made my CBs look spectacular. I lost 4 keys guys in the front 7 to the NFL however, so year 2 may require them to blanket their guys longer.... could be interesting.
Safeties - mainly rely on overall rank but look for size and speed as well. Again, like CBs and LBs, if you are a powerhouse you don't really have to worry about AWR. The caliber that I recruit all have A to A+ AWR so size and speed are the 2 big factors.
Old 09-13-2007, 06:47 PM   #19
Banned

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewaat
My recruiting strategy is simple and can be summed up in one word...

SPEED

Can't teach it and can't defend it

yeah, especially in this game speed kills. Get a RB with 97+ speed and its a wrap.
Old 09-13-2007, 08:19 PM   #20
Banned

arichzona's Arena

OVR: 12

I take a different approach, a little bit deeper than finding the fastest guy in the nation, the biggest guy, or just the blue chippers. I recruit for scheme....(man coverage, zone, whether I play in a run oriented or pass oriented conf).

The biggest reason I go this way is that I will not play with the big schools as it is more fun IMO to build a program (they rarely come there anyway). Here is what I do.

QB: all about THA and SPEED.....I wont get a good O-line so he needs to be able to run for his life AND throw on the run - with poor accuracy it is INT's all over the place

HB: I prefer the short thick guys who have high trucking....they need it. Plus, I have more fun knocking guys over than using the over exaggerated jukes.

TE: The biggest guy I can find (so far...6-7/276....3* who went to Madden). I have no interest in the 6'1"/210 TE.

WR: Height, Height, Height.....
--------------------------------------------------------

DEFENSE: My motto here is that "fast, strong, big guys" are not worth recruiting if they have crappy AWR, M&ZCOV, BSHD, and can't tackle.

DB: I will not recruit any DB if he is not already in the "B"'s for Man coverage. A fast guy with a C- ability to cover guys man for man only helps you catch up after you have been toasted. Look @ the 5* guys, some of them simply cannot cover - they balance out in other areas.

LB: All about awareness, tackling, and ability to get off a block. Again, speed is not as important if the guy knows what is going on from the snap of the ball. A FAST guy who runs into the blocker quicker (than a slower guy GETS AROUND (or off) the blocker) is worthless to me. I really dont like the helpless feeling of watching my guys be flat out stupid when a play develops while I wrestle with the blocker. My best LB was a guy who was 5'10"/240....3* guy who was an All-American after his sophomore year and ended up being the top LB in Madden.

DE: Pass rush ability, block shed, speed, & awr. If the guy is a monster/manchild, that is a plus.

DT: Not too much thought....the other one's take quite a while. This is all about just being a HOG.
Old 09-14-2007, 04:03 AM   #21
MVP

FunkDockta27's Arena

i disagree arichzona with your lbs...95% of the time im dropping my mlb into coverage...for whatever reason i like my mlb in a zone in the middle of the field...the other 5% hes in a man/man coverage...so i like the speed there...i could be wrong of course in my assesment, but i much prefer speed at that spot...sideline to sideline...i mean of course i dont want a d- guy whos fast there...but like i said i work my way up from the bottom with my crappy schools i usually play as

im thinkin of taking the infamous William & Mary Tribe once i get my sliders adjusted where i like em...we'll see how my recruiting works then...if i dont get fired first lol

William & Mary always been a tough one for me to handle

FIFA12 PS3
St Pats 44 pts; 2nd place

NCAA14 PS3
Career W-L: 50-39
NoTex 2013 CUSA Champs
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-14-2007, 01:33 PM   #22
Banned

arichzona's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkDockta27
i disagree arichzona with your lbs...95% of the time im dropping my mlb into coverage...for whatever reason i like my mlb in a zone in the middle of the field...the other 5% hes in a man/man coverage...so i like the speed there...i could be wrong of course in my assesment, but i much prefer speed at that spot...sideline to sideline...i mean of course i dont want a d- guy whos fast there...but like i said i work my way up from the bottom with my crappy schools i usually play as

im thinkin of taking the infamous William & Mary Tribe once i get my sliders adjusted where i like em...we'll see how my recruiting works then...if i dont get fired first lol

William & Mary always been a tough one for me to handle
The topic of the thread is not "who's style is right".....it is what style do you use.
Old 09-14-2007, 03:35 PM   #23
MVP

TWOSILK's Arena

OVR: 19

trying to recruit for a 3-3-5 defense in my SMU run and shoot dynasty(if anybody has any playbook suggestions besides hawaii let me know) but i am at my wits end with deciding how to recruit for this scheme, i know i need a BIG defensive tackle to eat space, and good man to man cover corners seem to be a need, but other than that if you run this defense, which i like because it gives you a lot of blitz looks, and is equal against the run and pass, any suggestions???
Old 09-14-2007, 03:46 PM   #24
MVP

FunkDockta27's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by arichzona
The topic of the thread is not "who's style is right".....it is what style do you use.

dude i never said "My way is the way" It was argumentative but not in a bad way...dont take it so personal dude, i meant no offense, and im sorry if you took it like i said you were wrong...everyone has their style, thats why i made this thread and asked to see what everyone else does...hell i said i could be wrong...its just my style...i never meant for it to sound that way. i take alot of what you say and try to implement that into my style of play arich...

however if I said Tim Tebow is the Man...theres no room for debate lol...then I am 100% correct lol

FIFA12 PS3
St Pats 44 pts; 2nd place

NCAA14 PS3
Career W-L: 50-39
NoTex 2013 CUSA Champs

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »