Home

Question about moving to "Heisman"--Your experience?

This is a discussion on Question about moving to "Heisman"--Your experience? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-21-2007, 09:56 AM   #9
MVP

OVR: 17
Re: Question about moving to "Heisman"--Your experience?

I am assuming we are talking about playing the CPU and not humans. If this is the case then AA is just unplayable and Heisman is actually borderline unplayable without tons of house rules to try to make things even. The CPU just doesn't do much to try to stop you. You can run the same offenses and defenses again and again and the CPU will do little if anything to adjust. I actually think this game is the type that is more fun the LESS you play it. Perhaps this is why they removed the practice features from the game.

Heisman basically gives weird bumps in ratings to CPU players that I don't fully understand. The CPU offensive line for example becomes really, really, really good. The only way to get pressure on the QB is by blitzing and blitzing heavily. The one rating that still stands out on heisman is speed... speed KILLS ALL MAN TO MAN DEFENSE. I find that its this variable that kind of ruins the game this year and in all years. Since the CPU will not adjust and its easy to see when they are in man to man, its far too easy to find like 3 plays that simply blow up man to man. Couple these plays with speed which gets you separation and you can break every rushing/passing record in the SAME game if you want to.

Unfortunately for me, I don't have a very good internet connection that allows me any other options so I simply use a handful of house rules and hope that I get a few games where my team falls utterly apart and I get a good game. Last night I played my first game of my second season with Ohio State and I beat #22 Arizona 93-20 if this gives you any indication as to what to expect from heisman. I use my own set of sliders which are very close to my slider set posted on this forum. Doesn't matter what you do, until they make a CPU that actually learns from history or scouts your plays, it will forever be broken.

Just so you know, I am an old man with horrible stick skills. I am one of those guys that you don't want on your halo team cause I would probably sticky bomb my own team mates. I never user catch and through like 50+ NCAA games I have had like 1 user pick and I think it was an accident. I simply audible to a play that I know will work and get massive yards on most downs. Just read the defense pre-snap, then post snap, and make the play or throw it away... really that simple. In my game last night I ran for 160 yards and threw for like 630 yards.... I know, very unrealistic but what ya gonna do? If I don't play with a team that I like, I have little interest in dynasty mode.

Last edited by Keyser Soze; 09-21-2007 at 10:01 AM.
Old 09-21-2007, 10:18 AM   #10
Rookie

Tig5309's Arena

OVR: 4

Heisman has worked for me so far. I've gone 7-6, 7-7, 7-6, and am currently 5-6. There is one play that works too well for me, but if I go to it too much I usually get sacked.
Old 09-21-2007, 01:06 PM   #11
Probably Insane

Village Idiot's Arena

OVR: 30

I've pretty much played over 90% of my NCAA games on Heisman, dating back to 2003 or so.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-18-2007, 10:53 AM   #12
Banned

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by soce
I am assuming we are talking about playing the CPU and not humans. If this is the case then AA is just unplayable and Heisman is actually borderline unplayable without tons of house rules to try to make things even. The CPU just doesn't do much to try to stop you. You can run the same offenses and defenses again and again and the CPU will do little if anything to adjust. I actually think this game is the type that is more fun the LESS you play it. Perhaps this is why they removed the practice features from the game.

Heisman basically gives weird bumps in ratings to CPU players that I don't fully understand. The CPU offensive line for example becomes really, really, really good. The only way to get pressure on the QB is by blitzing and blitzing heavily. The one rating that still stands out on heisman is speed... speed KILLS ALL MAN TO MAN DEFENSE. I find that its this variable that kind of ruins the game this year and in all years. Since the CPU will not adjust and its easy to see when they are in man to man, its far too easy to find like 3 plays that simply blow up man to man. Couple these plays with speed which gets you separation and you can break every rushing/passing record in the SAME game if you want to.

Unfortunately for me, I don't have a very good internet connection that allows me any other options so I simply use a handful of house rules and hope that I get a few games where my team falls utterly apart and I get a good game. Last night I played my first game of my second season with Ohio State and I beat #22 Arizona 93-20 if this gives you any indication as to what to expect from heisman. I use my own set of sliders which are very close to my slider set posted on this forum. Doesn't matter what you do, until they make a CPU that actually learns from history or scouts your plays, it will forever be broken.

Just so you know, I am an old man with horrible stick skills. I am one of those guys that you don't want on your halo team cause I would probably sticky bomb my own team mates. I never user catch and through like 50+ NCAA games I have had like 1 user pick and I think it was an accident. I simply audible to a play that I know will work and get massive yards on most downs. Just read the defense pre-snap, then post snap, and make the play or throw it away... really that simple. In my game last night I ran for 160 yards and threw for like 630 yards.... I know, very unrealistic but what ya gonna do? If I don't play with a team that I like, I have little interest in dynasty mode.
Is this NCAA 08 on the original xbox or on the 360? I play on original xbox, and I like putting the quarter length to '15 minutes'. You need pretty good stick skills for a long duration. But I can assure you, when you get to the end of a game after the 60th minute expires, you can be proud of the points that you scored and the time of possession you have achieved.
Old 10-18-2007, 12:56 PM   #13
All Star

OVR: 24

I am changing my stance on the AA vs Heisman thing based on the CPU running if you have a good team. I tried for over 20 games to improve the CPU running to a realistic level on AA while trying to keep the pancakes and broken tackles mildly realistic and i could not.

Since i kept stats of the last 13 of those games i can say that no matter what, the CPU will just not run good enough to warrant playing on AA. I held them to an average of 2.64 a carry (including sacks of course). While i was happy with the CPU passing stats, the CPU inability to run and throw the deep ball make AA a poor choice. I am starting the Heisman process again now. I know i can get the CPU running to work, just seeing if i can get the passing more realistic (again i am saying good teams).
Old 10-18-2007, 02:34 PM   #14
Guns Up!

Solidice's Arena

OVR: 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkrause1971
I am changing my stance on the AA vs Heisman thing based on the CPU running if you have a good team. I tried for over 20 games to improve the CPU running to a realistic level on AA while trying to keep the pancakes and broken tackles mildly realistic and i could not.

Since i kept stats of the last 13 of those games i can say that no matter what, the CPU will just not run good enough to warrant playing on AA. I held them to an average of 2.64 a carry (including sacks of course). While i was happy with the CPU passing stats, the CPU inability to run and throw the deep ball make AA a poor choice. I am starting the Heisman process again now. I know i can get the CPU running to work, just seeing if i can get the passing more realistic (again i am saying good teams).
im with you on the CPU running. i can get the CPU to have good running games but its not consistant, i'm still usually in the top 25 rushing defense every year. to me it seem the cpu just doesnt give enough time to develop a running game, once i stop them a few times, they go pass heavy. i love playing on Heisman, except the CPU defense(including the CPU controled player on the human team) seem to have eyes in the back of their heads or have jet packs on their backs and can change directions in midair.
Old 10-18-2007, 04:22 PM   #15
Hall Of Fame

superjames1992's Arena

OVR: 40

I like Heisman other than the turnovers. I can't stand the super-DBs and the runningbacks fumbling every other play. Hence, I switched back to All-American.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »