Home

X-360 owner still buying NCAA on ps2..Opinion?

This is a discussion on X-360 owner still buying NCAA on ps2..Opinion? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-25-2007, 12:36 PM   #17
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

OVR: 22
Re: X-360 owner still buying NCAA on ps2..Opinion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac11367
I think I know why. I real life, it takes a WR/DB 2 running strides to cover almost 6 yards. For current gen NCAA 08, each stride covers a little over 2 yards. So in NCAA 08, it does take longer for a runner to get from one 5 yards indicator to the next one, thus the slowness.
That is probably true, but my issue is more about the activities between plays. A few examples:
1. Not being able to hot route until my recievers are at the line. This is a few seconds of dead time.
2. The constant fumbles that are reversed. I really hate this one.
3. At least once or twice a game I hit pause to see a replay which is not yet available. Go back out, wait, then try again.
4. Menus seem slow for me.
5. When sending a guy in motion, instead of being able to scroll through the eligible players who can be sent in motion with one button, I have to use two buttons and scroll through all the players....including lineman.

These are all pretty small, and I know I sound whiney. But add them all up, and they do have an impact...and contribute to my disinterest if it is not a close game.
Old 09-25-2007, 12:51 PM   #18
MVP

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehh
'08[/b]: Pretty damn good so far. The AI for CPU-controlled DB's is pretty bad on default but I think I've got it figured out w. sliders. Blocking on certain run plays and blockers picking up a blitz is still awful, but I guess it wasn't meant to be on this gen.
That's the other thing that turned me off from 08 on PS2 and I forgot to mention it in my post. I tried ot figure it out a bit but then I read about the discipline issue and most of the top 25 being on probation after a few years in dynasty and just gave up on it.
Old 09-25-2007, 01:02 PM   #19
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectralfan
In spite of that I think 06 on XBOX is the one I enjoyed the most with 04 a close second. It wasn't the most realistic by any means but it wasn't marred by the issues of 07. A game could turn around even if it was 21-0 at the half. You could run inside and outside, as could the CPU. Impact players put fear into you as they were a bit overpowered.

The downside is games could turn into bombfests. But even the bombfests sometimes had a way of drawing you in as it was back and forth and very tight. It may not be all that realistic but it beat the heck out of having the CPU throwing 4+ passes directly to your defenders every game. It was fun which the nextgen versions sadly haven't been.
I agree. '06 was the first version of NCAA I ever bought and I loved it on the PS2. The pure fun factor of the game made NCAA '06 my favourite football game on the PS2 (slight edge over 2K4). There were a lot of issues with the option being too easy and how easy it was to complete the ball in traffic but it was a blast. Many people felt impact players were overdone but I thought they were fantastic. Being scared at facing some of those players was a good feeling that I don't get in the PS3 version.

'07 had some good things (passing was better and the option was toned down) but the inside running game got worse, momentum was too strong, jump the snap was terrible and the kicking game atrocious.

I can deal with every issue in NCAA '08 on the PS3 except for the cpu INT. Since I still throw a lot myself its not a gamekiller but its still a major blemish on a game that I expect will be a lot better next year.
Old 09-25-2007, 01:35 PM   #20
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
I can deal with every issue in NCAA '08 on the PS3 except for the cpu INT. Since I still throw a lot myself its not a gamekiller but its still a major blemish on a game that I expect will be a lot better next year.
The Int problem will be fixed. But I am sure we will see a new issue that we haven't seen in any of the previous 13 installments.
Old 09-25-2007, 02:11 PM   #21
MVP

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardot
The Int problem will be fixed. But I am sure we will see a new issue that we haven't seen in any of the previous 13 installments.
Unfortunately, I'm not even sure they'll fix the ints. Let's not forget that 07 on 360 also had the CPU throwing too many ints. It was quite similar to 08 in that regard actually.

I also remember that there were already too many drops in 2004 on XBOX. I enjoyed it but kept thinking 05 would be much better cause they'd surely fix the drops. Well, we all know how that turned out. 2005 was a complete disaster on XBOX with the terrible slowdown on running plays and both the XBOX and PS2 versions were plagued with ridiculous amounts of drops. I can't count how many times I've seen the CPU go 4-25 or 6-32 passing. Fortunately 06 was much better in that department even though the completion % were still a bit too low.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-26-2007, 12:06 PM   #22
Rookie

nickaepi's Arena

OVR: 5

WOW! I didn't realize I would get such good response on this issue. Thanks to all! That is why I love this board. It is like free counselling for gamer anxiety issues. Well I settled to stick with NCAA '06 for my ps2. I tried to xbox version, which is now "backwards compatible "on my 360 but I am getting AWFUL slowdown on-the-field. It sux because the graphics are so much cleaner playing in "1080"i on my 360 but the controls are less user-friendly on the xbox and this slowdown is killing me. I may check to see if this is a common issue or is it just my normal bad luck. So, my final answer, NCAA '06 on ps2 is the winner. Thats my answer and I am sticking to it...Just for fun, what is the consensus on this year's MADDEN games? Is the 360 version really best gameplay ever or does it have "next-gen" issues, like it's NCAA counterpart. Just curious.
Old 09-26-2007, 12:29 PM   #23
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickaepi
Just for fun, what is the consensus on this year's MADDEN games? Is the 360 version really best gameplay ever or does it have "next-gen" issues, like it's NCAA counterpart. Just curious.
I don't have Madden but it appears fumbles and INTs are worse on Madden than they are in NCAA from what I've read here. Some people claim that turning off fatigue helps with that. The passing system is supposed to be better and provides more touch than NCAA. Some like it better than NCAA while others prefer NCAA but both games have issues.
Old 09-26-2007, 01:18 PM   #24
Rookie

nickaepi's Arena

OVR: 5

Anyone playing the ps2 '06 version of NCAA have any old threads or slider sets they can refer me to?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »