Home

What determines how quickly a player improves?

This is a discussion on What determines how quickly a player improves? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-15-2007, 05:56 PM   #1
MVP

jello1717's Arena

OVR: 16
What determines how quickly a player improves?

What determines how well a player improves during the year and after offseason training? Is there a stat for the head coach or assistant coaches (are there assistant coaches or am I thinking of college hoops 2K7?) that affects this? Is there a stat on the player that determines this (IE. awareness)? Does it matter how much PT they get or how they perform?

When I played as Michigan, during the offseason training, my players improved more than the players in my Michigan State dynasty. I'd guess that on average, the UofM players got 1-2 points better than my MSU players.

After my 1st season with MSU I recruit 1 5* recruit, a MLB. He came in rated as an 83 (which is higher than most of the many, many 5* recruits I got with UofM). He started for me and played every game (no injuries) and was 2nd on the team in tackles. He didn't gain a single OVR point during the season. During the offseason training he only gained 1 (ONE!) point and increased to an 84OVR.

So, is there something about my coach, team, or players that I should look for to avoid things like this? IE. if there was a player stat "improvability" that would indicate how well he'll improve throughout his career, that'd be awesome. I've played a game that had this stat (I think it was probably College Hoops) and it's nice. It means that sometimes you get good choices. You could choose a 5* stud with low improvability or a 4* stud with great improvability. The 5* may start as a frosh, but won't get much better. The 4* comes in lower rated, and probably won't start, but might be a better senior than the 5* stud.

Thanx.
College #1: Michigan Wolverines
College #2: Michigan State Spartans (my alma mater)
College #3: North Carolina Tar Heels
NHL: Detroit Redwings

Last edited by jello1717; 10-15-2007 at 06:00 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-16-2007, 12:42 PM   #2
MVP

jello1717's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: What determines how quickly a player improves?

Does anyone have an idea how this works? I'm now 4 games into my 3rd season. The sophomore MLB I mentioned is still at an 84 (compared to starting his freshmen year as an 83). I noticed yesterday that my 3rd string MLB (who doesn't have a single stat in his career) has gained 2 OVR points during the first 4 games since the beginning of this year.

I'm trying to understand why a player who has started all 17 games of his career isn't improving while a player who hasn't stepped a toe on the field is improving more.
College #1: Michigan Wolverines
College #2: Michigan State Spartans (my alma mater)
College #3: North Carolina Tar Heels
NHL: Detroit Redwings
Old 10-16-2007, 01:15 PM   #3
MVP

Mizzou23's Arena

OVR: 13

It has worked a couple of ways in years past. If you go back far enough, it seemed as though player improvement was tied into how well your team performed. A gaudy record would translate into good improvements in the off season.

Later in the series, each guy had a "potential" ranking that you could unlock by scouting him. This year, there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason as to what causes guys to improve. It could be team success, it could be your athletic facilities rating, it could be some kind of hidden attribute.
Old 10-16-2007, 03:25 PM   #4
KG
Welcome Back

KG's Arena

OVR: 35

it would be nice if it was a combination of potential and game results/stats
Old 10-16-2007, 05:02 PM   #5
All Star

OVR: 24

I always assumed it was a hidden potential rating this year. Which in some ways is kinda nice.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »