Home

NCAA Next-Gen vs. Old-Gen

This is a discussion on NCAA Next-Gen vs. Old-Gen within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-06-2008, 04:42 PM   #57
is looking at stats.

Krebstar's Arena

OVR: 15
Re: NCAA Next-Gen vs. Old-Gen

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyfat9
Old Gen has way more options which is fantastic but New Gen is the way to go, eventhough thus far EA has put out a lackluster product..but hopefully with time it will catch up to it's old gen predecessors as far as options go.
Wait a minute...old gen has way more options BUT next gen is the way to go even though it's lackluster? Why? Because it's pretty? If true, that is the thinking that allows EA to put out a lackluster product, because as long as it's pretty on the surface it will sell.
Old 01-06-2008, 05:07 PM   #58
MVP

babyfat9's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUglyOrgan
Wait a minute...old gen has way more options BUT next gen is the way to go even though it's lackluster? Why? Because it's pretty? If true, that is the thinking that allows EA to put out a lackluster product, because as long as it's pretty on the surface it will sell.
I wouldn't say it's pretty...it's way behind Madden as far as the time and effort put into the game, but it has gotten a whole lot better from last year and this year on Next Gen.

Monsters of the Midway
Chicago Bears
Old 01-06-2008, 07:20 PM   #59
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyfat9
I wouldn't say it's pretty...it's way behind Madden as far as the time and effort put into the game, but it has gotten a whole lot better from last year and this year on Next Gen.
Its still at least 3 years away from having the same features and gameplay as the PS2 version. I'll probably check out NCAA football on the 360 again around 2011.
Old 01-06-2008, 10:25 PM   #60
is looking at stats.

Krebstar's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSU_DW2
Thanks for the feedback, man. What I actually do a lot is this. I play a 30 minute half, then take a break myself (sometimes for 20 minutes like real halftime breaks) Sometimes i'll even pass out and leave the game on and play the 2nd half the next day when i wake up.

I'll actually even occasionally dream of potential strategy in the 2nd half as I sleep with the game paused at halftime, then wake up and play it out. a 60 minute game is a long game, and could take hours if you play a hurry up offense game with a lot of incompletes / out of bounds...

however, with a ball control game, where you keep the ball in bounds a lot and gain first downs, the game can start to fly by. I usually play very, very conservative in the first half of a 60 minute game to keep my ability to win the game by the 2nd half. playing 15 minute quarters is a challenge, and it will be difficult at times to come away with a win. to me, i embrace the challenge of a battle of attrition. the gameplay with these settings are so realistic and responsive, that it doesn't feel boring at all.

the key is to avoid mistakes and keep momentum neutral or on your side, especially early in a game. i try to go 15 minutes at a time, only taking a quick commercial break at the end of the quarter, or occasionally after a score awaiting the kickoff. you might want to turn the commentary off after the coin toss (so you can still see the gameday predictions prior to that), as the commentating can distract you in a long game.

When the clock is running and i have the ball, as long as the game is relatively close, i usually do use most of the play clock. my strategy is, the game has a much higher probability of turning into a shootout in the 4th quarter as there is really nothing to lose at that point. there is something to lose early in the game, like momentum. Momentum that can turn the game into a frustrating blowout if you are not careful. look at it like a boxing match. you don't want to get knocked out in the first round. you don't want to give up TDs in the 1st quarter and play uphill against momentum for the rest of the game. in fact, if this does happen when playing 15 minute quarters, sometimes the proper decision is to keep the clock running on offense, and punt, punt, punt and force the CPU to drive the field so you can GET to the half as soon as possible. when you get to halftime, whoever has momentum, their momentum will be cut in half coming out of halftime. this gives the team who is against the momentum at halftime a huge opportunity to come out in the 3rd quarter, score and even up the momentum...

you can play 10 minute games with these sliders, and if you are ever playing a human vs human game, your buddy might not have patience to play a full 60 minutes game, and 10 minutes might be appropriate when a person is first trying out these sliders. but, against the CPU, and against serious humans with patience, if you have the time, i think you will find yourself wanting to go 60:00 because it is so damn fun and challenges you in a way that you probably aren't used to. the thing is, for me, the more i play with these sliders, the more i want to go the distance and play 60:00. besides, when you play a 60:00 game, checking out the stats at halftime and postgame are so much more interesting. you can learn a lot from time of possession. also, you can unlock more pennant points in a 60:00 game in case you haven't unlocked all the bowl games yet...(i'd upload my profile but i am having trouble transferring my profile to my PC)

you might find yourself making better decisions in terms of playcalling. take your time when you are on offense. don't rush it. just call a smart play and start controlling the time of possession. punt when you have to, only kick a FG when you thin you can make it. sometimes it is smarter to punt from the opponent's 38 yard line than going for the FG. because if you miss the FG or have it blocked, you will lose all momentum...

if you are having trouble, try checking your user stats and see how efficient you are in user catches, user swats, etc..

i find these stats so telling i just want to play again and improve my user stats.

once you complete your first 15 minute game, feel free to post results (box score and any stats you think are important) and which team you are.

the thing i want is feedback. what do you like about the sliders? what don't you like? do you find any animation or collision bugs that bother you?

of course, keep in mind the teams you are playing with. when playing with A and A+ teams, the game has a higher probability of becoming a shootout. when playing with less talented players, the game is more tactical in my opinion.

the one thing that i would say is that these sliders give you balanced gameplay. the game can be pass oriented or run oriented, depending on a lot of factors. when i start falling behind in a game, i am not usually frustrated. i understand why i gave up a particular play and i am just itching that much more to get back and even it up with my offense.

I think playing on these sliders will make you a very smart player of this game. you will be forced to make a user swat occasionally and make split second decisions throughout the game.

are you playing the ps2 / xbox1? (i assume you are playing the old-gen engine)

i am thinking about playing a bowl game preview of bowling green / tulsa today. (the two teams play in the GMAC bowl tonight). i'd like to see what paul smith can do for 60:00... i'll let you know my results...

Okay, just finished my first game, 15 minute quarters, USC (CPU) vs. Ohio State. Overall, it was great. However, there seems to be far too many fumbles. I had 6 and lost 4, and the CPU had 4 and lost 2. INT's were not a issue, except that I threw 6. First five were really just me forcing the ball into a very very very good defense.

After the 5th INT, I put in the backup QB who lit a fire under the offense. I was able to run some options out of the shotgun, and throw short passes to move down the field. At one point I was down 30-17, but came back to 31-30. USC eventually went back up, and it felt like I was playing the real USC, very good all around and can move the ball with the best of them.

I think I might try shorter quarters, maybe 12-13 minutes. Otherwise, it was great and was like a real game, just a bit too long, and by too long I mean the length allowed the stats to get a little off. The stats were pretty darn good though, and it will be nice to have normal stats in Dynasty, so instead of averaging 250 yards of total offense and winning, I'll average more along what the CPU teams get and win, but won't be ranked so low in every stat category.
Old 01-06-2008, 11:57 PM   #61
Boom!!

J-Unit40's Arena

OVR: 30

I've gone with a tweaked All-American set favoring the CPU and play 8 minute quarters and have been having some great games. I also use the "no sprint button" technique on offense. I've had between 120-135 plays per game (5 games played).

I could see playing 9 minute quarters, if I wanted to play even longer. That would be my personal cut-off.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-07-2008, 12:47 AM   #62
is looking at stats.

Krebstar's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Unit40
I've gone with a tweaked All-American set favoring the CPU and play 8 minute quarters and have been having some great games. I also use the "no sprint button" technique on offense. I've had between 120-135 plays per game (5 games played).

I could see playing 9 minute quarters, if I wanted to play even longer. That would be my personal cut-off.
With my 15 minute quarter game I had almost 200 plays. I think it's a bit too long for a video game, but thats just for me at least. Although I think I'm going to just shorten them up and stick with it.

I'm still using no sprint on offense, kick returns and punt returns. I even returned a kickoff for a touchdown in my last game, so it can be done. Plus I had a 35 yard run; it's great because fast players really do seem to run faster than slower players, even without the sprint button. It just feels so right to me.
Old 01-09-2008, 08:04 PM   #63
On the 15 day DL-blister

voodoo_magic's Arena

OVR: 13

I'm sure they will have everything in the game and playing decent just in time for the release of ps4 and we can start all over again.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »