Home

How does the game decide tie-breakers?

This is a discussion on How does the game decide tie-breakers? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-14-2007, 09:24 PM   #1
MVP

jello1717's Arena

OVR: 16
How does the game decide tie-breakers?

I ended up in a 3-way tie in the SEC-west. The results are very, very close but I lost the tie-breaker and I'm wondering why. I checked the SEC's rules for tie-breakers and it sounds like I should've won. I'm just curious how it's decided.

records
Auburn 10-2 (6-2) (DIV:4-1) (1-1 against other 2 teams)
LSU (me) 10-2 (6-2) (DIV:4-1) (1-1 against other 2 teams)
Alabama 10-2 (6-2) (DIV:4-1) (1-1 against other 2 teams)

So we all had the same conference records, head-to-head and divisional records. After those, here's what the SEC does:

>> Head-to-head competition vs. the team within the division with the best overall (divisional and non-divisional) Conference record and proceeding through the division. Multiple ties within the division will be broken from first to last.<<
We all went 4-1 in the the division and 1-1 against eachother so we all went undefeated against the rest of the division.

>> Overall record vs. non-division teams.<<
We all went 2-1 against the SEC east.

>> Combined record vs. all common non-divisional teams.<<
>>Record vs. common non-divisional team with the best overall Conference (divisional and non-divisional) record and proceeding through other common non-divisional teams based on their order of finish within their division.<<
Auburn played SC(W), Kent(L), Georgia(W)
LSU played Vandy(W), Tenn(L), Fla(W)
Bama played SC(W), Fla(L), Tenn(W)
Auburn and LSU didn't even play a common SEC east opponent, so this is no good right?

>> The tied team with the highest ranking in the Bowl Championship Series Standings following the last weekend of regular-season games shall be the divisional representative in the SEC Championship Game, unless the second of the tied teams is ranked within five-or-fewer places of the highest ranked tied team. In this case, the head-to-head results of the top two ranked tied teams shall determine the representative in the SEC Championship Game.<<
BCS:
#9LSU
#13bama
#20 Auburn
By this rule (if it made it here) LSU and Bama are within 5 rankings so it comes down to head to head. LSU beat bama, so LSU should've won with Bama second. Instead Auburn was #1, LSU #2, and Bama #3 in the SEC.

Does anyone know how they decided this?

Thanx.
College #1: Michigan Wolverines
College #2: Michigan State Spartans (my alma mater)
College #3: North Carolina Tar Heels
NHL: Detroit Redwings

Last edited by jello1717; 11-14-2007 at 09:30 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-14-2007, 10:41 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 25
Re: How does the game decide tie-breakers?

LOL since when did EA Sports games follow the actual rules? I've been locked out of the BCS many times ranked #10 or higher with a MAC or a WAC school when in reality I should have been able to go.
Old 11-15-2007, 12:29 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghettoshark
LOL since when did EA Sports games follow the actual rules? I've been locked out of the BCS many times ranked #10 or higher with a MAC or a WAC school when in reality I should have been able to go.
i could very well be wrong here, but if you're in a non-bcs conference & are ranked top 10 in the bcs, then the bcs bowls are simply allowed to select your school for an at-large bid, not mandated to
Old 11-15-2007, 01:12 AM   #4
Rookie

merg311's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezpkns34
i could very well be wrong here, but if you're in a non-bcs conference & are ranked top 10 in the bcs, then the bcs bowls are simply allowed to select your school for an at-large bid, not mandated to
Wrong. Any Non BCS team finishing in the top 12 of the BCS get's a BCS bid.
Old 11-15-2007, 09:56 AM   #5
MVP

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by merg311
Wrong. Any Non BCS team finishing in the top 12 of the BCS get's a BCS bid.
That's true but there can only be one of them. If 2 non-BCS teams are in the top 12, only the highest ranked gets a bid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCS Selection Policies and Procedures
3. The champion of Conference USA, the Mid-American Conference, the Mountain West Conference, the Sun Belt Conference, or the Western Athletic Conference will earn an automatic berth in a BCS bowl game if either:

A. Such team is ranked in the top 12 of the final BCS Standings, or,
B. Such team is ranked in the top 16 of the final BCS Standings and its ranking in the final BCS Standings is higher than that of a champion of a conference that has an annual automatic berth in one of the BCS bowls.

No more than one such team from Conference USA, the Mid-American Conference, the Mountain West Conference, the Sun Belt Conference, and the Western Athletic Conference shall earn an automatic berth in any year. If two or more teams from those conferences satisfy the provisions for an automatic berth, then the team with the highest finish in the final BCS Standings will receive the automatic berth, and the remaining team or teams will be in the pool of teams eligible for selection by the bowls as at-large teams.
So it's possible the poster who said he was denied despite being in the top 10 was in a situation where another non-BCS team was ranked higher. I know I've often seen the game have a non-BCS team going undefeated and finishing in the top 4 or so. Heck I've seen Western Michigan in the title game once or twice.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-15-2007, 06:29 PM   #6
Rookie

Tig5309's Arena

OVR: 4

I've seen some very weird stuff like teams with 4 and 5 wins getting into bowl games. I just write it off as one of those things that come with it being a video game unfortunately.
Old 11-16-2007, 10:03 AM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 4

Who won the East? That third tie-breaker (common non-divisional opponent) takes into account the opponent's record. If Georgia or South Carolina won the East then that might be the reason. This happened a couple years ago in the East in real life. The SEC is so competitive, it's crazy!
Old 11-16-2007, 11:24 AM   #8
MVP

jello1717's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcooper47
Who won the East? That third tie-breaker (common non-divisional opponent) takes into account the opponent's record. If Georgia or South Carolina won the East then that might be the reason. This happened a couple years ago in the East in real life.
Florida has won the East every year of my dynasty so far. So according to:
>>Record vs. common non-divisional team with the best overall Conference (divisional and non-divisional) record and proceeding through other common non-divisional teams based on their order of finish within their division.<<
LSU beats Bama because we beat florida, but Bama lost to them, but LSU and Aurburn didn't have a common opponent, and the only common opponent between Bama and Auburn was SC whom they both beat. So I don't see a decision coming out of this rule unless they eliminated Bama because we beat Florida and they didn't and then did a head to head between Aubrun and LSU and gave the title to Auburn because they beat LSU in the regular season. This wouldn't seem fair to Bama though since they would've been in last place because they lost a tie breaker to LSU, but they didn't lose a tie breaker to Auburn (and they beat Auburn in the regular season).

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcooper47
The SEC is so competitive, it's crazy!
That's why I chose to play there and I haven't regretted it in the least. I played 4 season as my favorite teams (Michigan, Michigan State, North Carolina) but it just didn't feel as much fun as I figured the SEC would be. I decided on LSU since I didn't have to build a competitive team again (I already did that with MSU, but was never able to get UNC competitive) and they have a cool looking field and they have 5 rivalry games (more than any other team I've seen).

I think that LSU probably has the most difficult path to win a National Championship (in this game) than any other team in the country and I really like the challenge. Sure Michigan has to beat Ohio State and Penn State (some years), but LSU has to beat Auburn, Arkansas, Alabama, (usually) Tennessee, and they have to beat Florida TWICE! I'm in year 5 of my LSU dynasty and we've played Florida every single year and Florida has won the SEC-E every single year so far. I also schedule at least 2 Top25 teams out of my 4 non-conference games.

I was looking at career records last night and what I saw epitomized why I love playing as LSU so much. I compared them to West Virginia. West Virgina was on a 26 game winning streak (they won the NC in 2009 and went undefeated in 2010 but didn't go to the championship game). During the first 4 seasons, WV went 12-1 against Top25 teams. My LSU team was 21-6 against Top25 teams. This is why I love LSU. During the first 4 years I played TWICE as many Top25 teams as did WV. I played 55 games and 49% of them were against Top25 teams. For me, that makes the game so much more fun, and I don't think any other conferences could give you so many Top25 games.
College #1: Michigan Wolverines
College #2: Michigan State Spartans (my alma mater)
College #3: North Carolina Tar Heels
NHL: Detroit Redwings

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »