Home

Will we ever have realistic overthrows?

This is a discussion on Will we ever have realistic overthrows? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-04-2007, 10:39 AM   #1
Go Wings!

OVR: 41
Will we ever have realistic overthrows?

I haven't played NCAA in a while, but the thought crossed my mind watching both college and pro football this weekend. Every pass in a video game is either caught, dropped, intercepted, swatted away, or a bullet pass that is incomplete (note "bullet", a really fast pass).

Never do you completely overthrow a guy running a fly down the field, never do you throw the out pass above a guy's head. Never do you bounce pass a ball to a reciever. The ONLY way to get incompletions is to miss a "bullet" pass on a slant or something. Because nearly EVERY ball gets made a play on, it makes things different than real life (and must affect the DB balance). People want good completion percentages, but because defenders touch more balls in the game than real life, that affects things (interceptions, etc).

Just wondering if anyone else noticed this. I know they're just games, but I saw a lot of QB's sail balls over the weekend, and not once do we get that in games.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-04-2007, 10:54 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 5
Re: Will we ever have realistic overthrows?

Since you have a 360, you'll have to wait for the patch to come out. On my patched PS3 version, I get overthrows, underthrows, good lobs, bad lobs, ect.
Old 12-04-2007, 11:09 AM   #3
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

I completely agree with you mgoblue. Even with the patched PS3 I don't see my QB bouncing balls to my WR. How about plays where the WR gets a finger tip on it and can't quite bring it in. I'm not sure how difficult it would be to implement this but EA hasn't done a great job with it.

EA really needs to make QBs less accurate (which would make the great QBs look better) but reduce how inaccurate the passes are. Slight overthrows and underthrows on balls where nobody gets a hand on them would add a great deal of realism. I don't want massive misses resulting in picks.

I think EA also needs to add QB accuracy on short/medium/long passes to help deal with this. I think the QB accuracy and percentages in their games are the same no matter if you are throwing 5 yards or 50 yards.
Old 12-04-2007, 01:11 PM   #4
MVP

parker002's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
I think EA also needs to add QB accuracy on short/medium/long passes to help deal with this. I think the QB accuracy and percentages in their games are the same no matter if you are throwing 5 yards or 50 yards.
They should start by making a QB Accuracy slider that affects only accuracy and not throwing power. Then, go from there.
Old 12-04-2007, 01:13 PM   #5
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

They could add a QB Throwing Power slider to help out. They need a fatigue, fumble and injury slider as well.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-04-2007, 01:16 PM   #6
MVP

parker002's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoblue
Never do you completely overthrow a guy running a fly down the field, never do you throw the out pass above a guy's head. Never do you bounce pass a ball to a reciever. The ONLY way to get incompletions is to miss a "bullet" pass on a slant or something. Because nearly EVERY ball gets made a play on, it makes things different than real life (and must affect the DB balance). People want good completion percentages, but because defenders touch more balls in the game than real life, that affects things (interceptions, etc).
A week ago I would have agreed with you wholeheartedly.

However, I've been playing on Varsity and Freshman level, mopping up a few Achievements and I can say that I've most of things you listed. I've thrown SEVERAL balls over the head of a WR running a fly or out.

The passing game is completely different on the higher difficulty levels, and since most of us never play on the lower difficulty levels, we declare the game "broken" when in fact it's only the higher difficulty levels that are.
Old 12-04-2007, 01:41 PM   #7
Champs!

Kearnzo's Arena

OVR: 18

That's been one of my biggest gripes for as long as I can remember with Madden/NCAA. In fact, playing Madden, I usually end up with a 3rd down conversion rate of atleast 60-80%. This is due to the fact that when i'm faced with 3rd and 5+, if I see a guy open on an out for just enough to get a first, i'll hit him EVERY time, no matter the QB. I'd like for one or two of those to be behind him/overthrown. It makes it easy to pass even with guys like Young and Vick, who are known for innaccuracy. I'd love for them to implement errant throws, because like you said, it would really make having a top tier QB mean something. As it is now, in both Madden and NCAA, it's easy to dominate with crappy QB's.
Old 12-04-2007, 02:24 PM   #8
is looking at stats.

Krebstar's Arena

OVR: 15

I've been getting short, long and wide passes while playing 2006. Much of it has to do with the QB slider though, however it would still be nice to see even more interceptions that don't hit someone's hands.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »