Home

any tips/tutorials on recruiting?

This is a discussion on any tips/tutorials on recruiting? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-21-2008, 12:07 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
any tips/tutorials on recruiting?

In the past I have ignored recruiting, but this year, I think I ought to at least try to recruit.Any guides someone has put out about recruting and the best way to do it? I just started calling my top recruits now. I am missouri, and moved all my 4 and 5 star guys, no matter how interested they were, towards the top of my board. I have not even looked at the prospect database or whatever... that is a lot of work. Also, is there a way to look at my roster to find out where my biggest needs are, that is, without going through the roster and looking at my team, the year they are in, etc. etc.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-21-2008, 01:01 AM   #2
Guns Up!

Solidice's Arena

OVR: 63
Re: any tips/tutorials on recruiting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbjandai
I Also, is there a way to look at my roster to find out where my biggest needs are, that is, without going through the roster and looking at my team, the year they are in, etc. etc.
on 360, Hit "Y", PS3 i guess it would be the Triangle button. it brings up a player breakdown of their positions and class. it will even tell you how many of each position you need to meet the requirement for that position.

Last edited by Solidice; 01-21-2008 at 01:03 AM.
Old 01-21-2008, 11:50 AM   #3
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidice
on 360, Hit "Y", PS3 i guess it would be the Triangle button. it brings up a player breakdown of their positions and class. it will even tell you how many of each position you need to meet the requirement for that position.
thanks, that's helpful. Any other threads on here or other tips for recruiting?
Old 01-21-2008, 01:23 PM   #4
Rookie

RedRaiderMan's Arena

i posted this on another thread, this is what I do. It may be more work than what you want to do, but it really isn't that bad. I pride myself on being very organized with my recruiting. I also try to make it where I don't have to cut anyone, so those good players can go other places, it just helps make the game more competitive.

preseason:
I find out what positions I need. I then go down the rankings list and list them in order of their rank, but one player per position. This way, I am recruiting the top players the hardest of the positions I need. And once I get the top players of need listed out, usually around 15 players. I then go back to the top and scan down and pick the rest of the top players. I usually just pick up "backup" recruits just in case the top player at the poistion goes somewhere else. They are usually in the 16-35 spots on my board.

example

1 #48 QB John Doe ****
2 #248 CB Pat McCrotch ***
3 #350 T Michael Hunt **

Week one:
we have them already ranked in order from the way I do the preseason. So I make sure to offer the top 15 or so players I need schollies, and I give them all just one pitch to make sure I have some time left. If facilities is one of your highest ones, I pitch it first. then with the rest of my time I go ahead and offer schollies and give 1 pitch to the players down my list until I am out of time.

Week two and on:
now I have ships offered to the players I need and some of the top players that are interested in me. Chances are you may have not offered schollies to everyone, I don't worry about that anymore unless I have to get them on my team(ie. top prospect at the position goes somewhere else).

I play with Texas Tech, so when I play Texas it is usually around week 9, and when Texas isn't in Lubbock I have A&M and OU in Lubbock at around weeks 9-12. So I am gonna have some time to do my recruiting, so I give them 2 pitches a week until I have found Most, the 2 very highs, and 1 or 2 highs. After you have established all of that and have started to hard sell those pitches and you are in a tight battle with another recruit, you then sway the "highs" it can make a huge difference.

this recruiting system I do is pretty detailed, and I like it. It has worked for me well, and I have had the top class the last 5 years in a row. With one year all my recruits were 5* players.

I hope you try this out, and I hope it was good help to you. and I will say this, recruit within your means as a school and go for speed baby.
Old 01-21-2008, 03:09 PM   #5
Rookie

thanks, yea i was just reading that post actually earlier.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-21-2008, 03:38 PM   #6
Rookie

I usually don't offer schollies the first week, because I like to see which prospects I can wait on and which ones I'm going to need to offer quickly in order to build any interest and have any chance at all. The reason is that sometimes if you offer a schollie to a guy who already has you as his number 1 choice there is a chance that he'll commit to you immediately. Obviously, this is very helpful because you no longer have to worry about recruiting him and you can use your precious recruiting time on other prospects. With the guys in whom I can build a great deal of interest without offering a schollie, I usually just hard sell for a few weeks, then when I'm clearly his number 1 I schedule a visit as soon as I can (even if it isn't against a rival, although obviously that will help); the interest built from the visit is often enough to really put me over the top, then I'll talk to him the next week to put a smile on his face and then offer him. Often times he'll commit right then and there. If he doesn't commit to you early, though, it's not a huge deal because you've already built a pretty good lead on the other schools (already being his #1, then the interest boost you get from the visit and the schollie offer), and it should take little more than completing one pitch a week to keep you there.

With guys in whom you can't build interest without offering a scholarship, you need to decide within the first two or three weeks if you need to go ahead and offer in order to get in on this guy, or if you simply have no shot regardless of what you do. If it's the latter, you'll save yourself a lot of time and trouble buy letting go and going after someone else. If you're a low prestige school going after a blue-chipper whose interest levels in your areas of strength are tepid at best, it's probably best to just swallow your pride and move on to someone else. Certainly nothing is impossible, though, and if the guy is just a stud you can't live without, you might be able to land him if you devote an awful lot of time to him. You need to decide if he's really worth it, though.

Also, once you get to about week 8 or 9 or so, scour the prospect database for good recruits that haven't been offered a scholarship by anyone yet. There are usually a surprising number of quality 3 and 4 star guys without any offers (and for any of you out there that only play as elite schools and scoff at 3-star guys, if you take a look at their attribute grades carefully you can often pick out guys that that are just as good or better than 4-star guys). Go ahead and offer schollies to as many as you can immediately (that you think you want, anyway). Try to talk to them each week. They may hate your guts the first couple of weeks and hang up quite quickly, but eventually they'll see the writing on the wall (assuming nobody else offers them) and come around, and you'll start to build their interest quite quickly. I've gotten a number of 4-star guys to come to 1-star Army by doing this, and this sort of thing typically doesn't cost you a whole lot of recruiting resources. In fact, it's so effective I feel kind of cheap by doing it. But hey, maybe they've just had some behavior problems in the past that scared away those other schools, and a little Army discipline is exactly what they need!

Everyone has different strategies for recruiting, of course. Finding yours is half the fun. I hope this helped.

Good Luck!
Old 01-22-2008, 07:36 PM   #7
Rookie

also, is it bad for them to hang up on you? I do not know how long to go on talking, so i usually do as much as I can, and they usually hang up on me. Is that just because they are sick of me or am I just building up their likability towards me? I guess, basically, should i be hanging up or should they be? Which is better?
Old 01-22-2008, 07:52 PM   #8
Rookie

RedRaiderMan's Arena

its not the most ideal to have them hang up on you. I usually count the ticks of the clock as it goes down. So, when it clicks at 9 times, its time to end the convo, cause a happy recruit is about to start getting angry. I usually try to make sure that my convo is completed, but sometimes it won't end til they hang up on you, which is why I count. Most ideal is around 5 clicks. I usually give one pitch to the recruits that have me at the top, and two to the rest.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »