Home

NCAA Football 09 Wishlist

This is a discussion on NCAA Football 09 Wishlist within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-27-2008, 12:44 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
NCAA Football 09 Wishlist

Operation Sports' Wil McCombs has posted his latest article, an NCAA Football 09 Wishlist.

Quote:
"For NCAA Football addicts, we are in the thick of perhaps the most painful time of year. The college season is in the books, and last NCAA game is beginning to feel tired. With National Signing day over and done with, we are starting to get anxious to try out the new recruits in an updated version of our favorite sports game.

The trouble is, simply waiting for EA Sports’ offering come July is not always satisfying. Although 08 made some solid improvements for next-gen sports gaming, there were still several issues, ranging from annoying to appalling. What follows are ten “wishes” for this summer’s NCAA title, which, in my mind, would vastly build and improve upon NCAA Football 08."
Platform: Xbox 360
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-27-2008, 03:16 PM   #2
Pro

TrevJo's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: NCAA Football 09 Wishlist

I like the Custom Packages idea a lot.

I'm not as crazy about the ambiance idea as the author. I do wish we'd get new and more in-depth announcer commentary. I absolutely do not want Musburger in the game, I can't stand that clown.

Agree that Campus Legend should go. That feature constitutes simply 2 or 3 achievements that I am reluctant to go after.

He didn't touch on some of my biggest wishes (fixing the horribly slow loading of file lists, the difficulty of getting a challenge in before auto-replay kicks in, and the profile/achievements bug), but all in all a good list.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:41 PM   #3
MVP

Saber's Arena

OVR: 15
I would like to see some sort of player momentum that influences movement. It's too easy to cut on a dime which makes it hard (see impossible) to turn a short pass into a long touchdown since all the jukes and spins in the world will still get you tackled.

Formation subs should def. be brought back as I preferred them to the subpackages.

After you begin to get the hang of recruiting it got "bigger" but I'm not sure it got any deeper. For instance I never find myself using the "search for prospect" other than to find the fastest players availible.

Would like them to completely change the kicking game. It's absolute cake. Even the worst kickers/punters make every extra point or avg 40+ a punt.

The AI is still junk. I can run outs all day long vs. the computer and the AI never reacts to it. I'm not talking about play calling as much as I am about the moronic CB who never thinks to try to jump the route. Just follows my receiver to the sideline everytime to push him out for an 8 -10 yard gain. Way to go superstar!

Fullbacks - if they're going to be mentally ********, why are they in the game? Without and option attack, they're nearly a worthless offensive weapon other than to catch short passes. Blocking? Don't bother. They almost never pick up anyone.

Longsnapper. EA has never addressed this position completely ignoring it. Any player can do it and do it equally well.

Speaking of snapping, other than the occasional highsnap (which never seems to matter), each C/QB exchange is perfect. I haven't fumbled the snap once... ever... in any EA game. Ever. If I'm a 270 lb true freshman center playing for a FCS school and I've got a stud DT like LSU's Dorsey, I'm not sure every snap will be a clean one.

Different QBing throwing styles. It's not hard to see guys have different throwing angles, windups and ways they hold the ball (Jeff Tedford guys for instance).

Different RB styles. You're options are simple, you either run with power or spin off everyone. Problem is you can't see a noticable difference from one power guy to another or one speed guy to another. I guess this would be more of a "running style" whether a guy is more of a strider (think Chris Brown from when he played at Colorado or Tony Dorsett at Pitt) or a shorter, choppier steps (Barry Sanders at OKSt).

The ability to tackle a player at any time or knock him down or do something besides bump him. You can't hit a player before the ball arrives (on a passing play) in the NCAA series and do much more than bump him gently off his route. What kind of crap is that? I wanna see snot bubbles.

Double team blocking. You don't block the best defensive linemen in the nation with one player. How come you do on NCAA? And not by choice, but because you have to. Only one player can engage another at a time which is true for everything except gangtackling which is more canned animations than anything else.

Goalline animations - should be a whole new ball game inside the 5 folks. Runningbacks leaping over the pile, offensive linemen trying to get lower than the defensive linemen. Linebackers jumping the meet the runningback. Inside the 5 is almost always money on NCAA regardless of how bad your offense is or how bad their defense is.

Just wondering this - but how hard would it be to get some real life coached back in for at least the BCS? complete with coaching changes... coaching tendencies... ect. If June Jones goes somewhere, they're gonna go run and gun. If Rich Rodriguez goes somewhere... he drops the last game of the season, whines about being treated unfairly a year after getting a raise, and goes somewhere else, and they run the spread.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:53 PM   #4
Your Go-to TV Expert

Scott's Arena

OVR: 52

I'd love to be able to use my school (SFASU) even though we suck in football and recruit against D1 schools.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:54 PM   #5
MVP

Saber's Arena

OVR: 15
I would like to see some sort of player momentum that influences movement. It's too easy to cut on a dime which makes it hard (see impossible) to turn a short pass into a long touchdown since all the jukes and spins in the world will still get you tackled.

Formation subs should def. be brought back as I preferred them to the subpackages.

After you begin to get the hang of recruiting it got "bigger" but I'm not sure it got any deeper. For instance I never find myself using the "search for prospect" other than to find the fastest players availible.

Would like them to completely change the kicking game. It's absolute cake. Even the worst kickers/punters make every extra point or avg 40+ a punt.

The AI is still junk. I can run outs all day long vs. the computer and the AI never reacts to it. I'm not talking about play calling as much as I am about the moronic CB who never thinks to try to jump the route. Just follows my receiver to the sideline everytime to push him out for an 8 -10 yard gain. Way to go superstar!

Fullbacks - if they're going to be mentally ********, why are they in the game? Without and option attack, they're nearly a worthless offensive weapon other than to catch short passes. Blocking? Don't bother. They almost never pick up anyone.

Longsnapper. EA has never addressed this position completely ignoring it. Any player can do it and do it equally well.

Speaking of snapping, other than the occasional highsnap (which never seems to matter), each C/QB exchange is perfect. I haven't fumbled the snap once... ever... in any EA game. Ever. If I'm a 270 lb true freshman center playing for a FCS school and I've got a stud DT like LSU's Dorsey, I'm not sure every snap will be a clean one.

Different QBing throwing styles. It's not hard to see guys have different throwing angles, windups and ways they hold the ball (Jeff Tedford guys for instance).

Different RB styles. You're options are simple, you either run with power or spin off everyone. Problem is you can't see a noticable difference from one power guy to another or one speed guy to another. I guess this would be more of a "running style" whether a guy is more of a strider (think Chris Brown from when he played at Colorado or Tony Dorsett at Pitt) or a shorter, choppier steps (Barry Sanders at OKSt).

The ability to tackle a player at any time or knock him down or do something besides bump him. You can't hit a player before the ball arrives (on a passing play) in the NCAA series and do much more than bump him gently off his route. What kind of crap is that? I wanna see snot bubbles.

Double team blocking. You don't block the best defensive linemen in the nation with one player. How come you do on NCAA? And not by choice, but because you have to. Only one player can engage another at a time which is true for everything except gangtackling which is more canned animations than anything else.

Goalline animations - should be a whole new ball game inside the 5 folks. Runningbacks leaping over the pile, offensive linemen trying to get lower than the defensive linemen. Linebackers jumping the meet the runningback. Inside the 5 is almost always money on NCAA regardless of how bad your offense is or how bad their defense is.

Just wondering this - but how hard would it be to get some real life coached back in for at least the BCS? complete with coaching changes... coaching tendencies... ect. If June Jones goes somewhere, they're gonna go run and gun. If Rich Rodriguez goes somewhere... he drops the last game of the season, whines about being treated unfairly a year after getting a raise, and goes somewhere else, and they run the spread.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-27-2008, 11:01 PM   #6
MVP

bgeno's Arena

OVR: 18

Some suggestions off the top of my head:

1. FIX THE TURNOVER ISSUE. I dont care how you do it, just fix it so that my starting runningback doesn't fumble 10 times a season, and so my QBs and the computer's QBs dont throw ridiculous INTs.

2. Fix/tweak the home field advantage stuff. When I called an audible/hot-route late in the play clock against a loud crowd, my receiver would go through this stupid little animation that often forced me to take a timeout. These guys have hand-signals and stuff... I shouldn't have THIS hard of a time getting a hot-route to my receiver. Oh, and bring back the shaky camera... I actually miss it now that it's gone.

3. Expand on recruiting. It's on the right track... it's definitely an upgrade over previous years, but it could still be bigger. And it can be bigger without being longer. Just make it a little deeper. A. I like the idea of having the "rebuilding program" pitch, and other pitches specific to the school type like that. Maybe something like "young/promising coach" too. B. Also, give me the ability to sort recruits by attributes. Say, I'm looking for a power-back, let me sort recruits by "Break Tackle" or "Trucking" or whatever you want to call it so I can see the best power guys first. C. Don't give me all of a recruit's vitals right from the get-go. Maybe give me speed and tackle and catch and stuff, but save some for me to find out somehow. I should have to unlock a recruit's awareness, play-recognition... stuff like that.

4. More off-season stuff in dynasty. GIVE ME SIGNING DAY WITH DRAMA AND SUSPENSE! Give me the Spring Game. Give me The U.S. Army All-American Bowl or the Underarmour High School All-American Football Game. Give me the ability to apply for a medical redshirt (please?). Give me back the three percentage bars to allocate what I'm going to concentrate on this offseason (training vs. recruiting vs. discipline... which of course means BRING BACK DISCIPLINE, but toned down slightly). However, DO NOT GIVE ME OFFSEASON TRAINING DRILLS LIKE IN MADDEN... I hate those.

5. More substitution options. In the form of custom packages (which I LOVED in Madden) and/or formation subs... PREFERABLY BOTH, PLEASE.

6. Better Presentation. This goes without saying. Dont' get me wrong, fix the gameplay first... that should be top priority. But work on the presentation a little while you're at it.

7. More camera angles. I like to be able to see when I'm throwing to the flats, thanks.

8. Get rid of Jump The Snap. This is one of the worst features in NCAA... dear lord, why is this still there?

9. Old Playcall Screen. I gave the new one a shot, but I just like the feel of the old one better. I like the ability to call plays by type (sometimes I'm just looking for a screen play, and I dont care what formation it's in, so this is nice), but give me the three choices with corresponding face buttons.

10. Acquire new rivals (and lose dieing ones) in dynasty. This seems like another things that EA could over-do, but it'd be nice. When you switch conferences, or even if you just dont have many rivals, sometimes it's hard to get them scheduled. Let me build rivals.
Old 02-28-2008, 02:08 AM   #7
Banned

Bigdmo9999's Arena

OVR: 46

Pretty much all of my gripes were mentioned in that article. I really hope EA can read this, it's so well presented and put together idk why they wouldn't like to read it. I will not buy this game this year unless it fixes at least 8 of those things. I'm sick and tired of EA Shorts and their crappy games. Next gen is really what we've all expected it to be, and there really is no excuse for them other than their laziness, they need to shrink the team of devs and be more fan-oriented and less about the $$$. Like that would ever happen
Old 03-01-2008, 12:37 PM   #8
Banned

OVR: 62
I agree with all of that. I used to love this series of games like no other, but EA just lost me last year. I am sure I'll purchase NCAA 2009, I can only hope some of these ideas are implemented.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »