Home

STILL NO REFS ON THE FIELD!!!!

This is a discussion on STILL NO REFS ON THE FIELD!!!! within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-18-2008, 10:59 AM   #33
Stop The GOAT Talk

SageInfinite's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: STILL NO REFS ON THE FIELD!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunt
I don't blame EA but I blame us, the "hardcore" gamers. How many more excuses can we give to EA. If EA can't get refs on the field, how the heck can EA implement a passing pocket, db ai, manage suction blocking, franchise, etc in the game. If EA cant manage the simple things how are they going to manage more complex issues.

I am not tired EA. I am tired of fans saying wait for next year for the past few years and defending a series that is dying in front of our eyes. Stop making excuses for the largest game developer in the world and maybe we can get a decent game of football.

Peace
Sometimes the EA glasses are hard to take off.

SageInfinite Bandcamp
https://sageinfinite.bandcamp.com/album/interminable
https://soundcloud.com/sageinfinite
Hidden Language Video Feat. Grandmilly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf5nW4rGTFM

#makethemaddenforumgreatagain
Old 04-18-2008, 11:09 AM   #34
All Star

OVR: 21

Quote:
I don't blame EA but I blame us, the "hardcore" gamers.
Agreed; I don't think gamers (and reviewers) get sufficient blame themselves. While I agree that it's not that big a deal when taken by itself, it's the circumstances for why there aren't refs or chain gangs and all the other issues that add up to make it more significant. Refs and chain gangs were a talking point in the middle of last gen, and we're almost to the middle of next gen and EA's talking like they're just being made aware of the issue.

I suspect it's likely harder to reverse-implement such things in game because of the approach EA took with this engine in the first place. Things like on the field representation of refs, presentation, gang tackling, player interaction, etc. should've all been things to account for when the next gen leap was made. Instead, outside of the stadiums, their approach was almost completely wrong across the board: gang-tackling and double team blocking three yrs. in (and still not implemented properly), presentation aspects not addressed appropriately until 4yrs in (if they got it right this year), online leagues 4yrs in, still no refs, etc.

XBL gamertag: d0meBreaker22 (that's a zero)

congrats Steelers, city of Pittsburgh, and Steeler Nation - SIX TIME WORLD CHAMPS
Old 04-18-2008, 11:16 AM   #35
MVP

BezO's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
Why is this such an annoyance for people.
Because refs are on the field in real football games. It's a presentation element that would help authenticate the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
I know people want it to be "in the game" but there are about 20 other things that they need to improve and that I care about more than refs, a chain gang and nets.
Do you expect folks to list every complaint they have in every post they make? This post is about refs on the field. It shouldn't stray from that.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-18-2008, 11:23 AM   #36
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdatazz22
Here's what I said:

My point was directed at reviewers, and how issues like no refs, populated sidelines, online leagues, etc. apparently don't become important until EA decides to add them to their games. EA shouldn't be patting themselves on the back for populating their sidelines, or adding cheerleaders - and reviewers shouldn't be either. Unless they're going beyond what's been done to date, not matching what was done years ago. Unfortunately you see me say "2K" and start making silly fanboy statements that have nothing to do with what I said originally. Which is why I say argue against the points I'm making, not what you feel I'm trying to say. Or what your intuition is telling you I'm saying. I'm flattered you're so enamored with everything I post but it's beginning to make me feel a little uncomfortable
Ahh more insults. I guess when you can't prove your point that's all you got.

Your posts speak for themselves no matter how desperately you backtrack.
Old 04-18-2008, 11:29 AM   #37
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageTheInfinite
Well I hope the game plays alot better and the presentation has really stepped. Gameplay videos or a demo will be the deciding factor. LOL@ not having refs and a chain gang. Tiburon has the best excuses. Too funny.
I'll be honest I am not particularly encouraged by the trailer they put out. Players still interact and move way to stiff, and this "Open Gameplay" stuff is raising red flags, going on EA's past.

That being said, I truly don't give a **** about refs on the field. I can not remember a single time I have ever really noticed them on the field in a game. I can still see why people want them though. It's just quite apparent this will be blown up out of proportion because it's an EA game.
Old 04-18-2008, 11:31 AM   #38
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

Quote:
I don't blame EA but I blame us, the "hardcore" gamers. How many more excuses can we give to EA. If EA can't get refs on the field, how the heck can EA implement a passing pocket, db ai, manage suction blocking, franchise, etc in the game. If EA cant manage the simple things how are they going to manage more complex issues.
While I don't disagree. I'd prefer EA use their development time and resources on things like a passing pocket, DB AI, suction blocking, etc, than I would refs on the field. Now if they actually do work on those things,remains to be seen.
Old 04-18-2008, 11:55 AM   #39
MVP

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgiles36
It's been confirmed that there will be no refs. The below is a quote from Phil Frazier who is the producer of Madden. He's been providing some insight to the fans on the EA Madden forums. I'm only assuming that the same applies to NCAA:

"Re: Refs - We have seen the many posts that clearly indicate the fact that refs on the field is important. That being said, we have not added refs to the field during gampley in Madden 09. I do understand why many consider this an important detail so I'll make sure it's discussed as we start to talk about Madden 2010, which is very soon. I do feel like we've made significant improvements (details coming soon) to the overall level of presentation in the game this year. I hope you are all as happy as we are with the changes that we made."
Post the link please....
Old 04-18-2008, 12:25 PM   #40
Stop The GOAT Talk

SageInfinite's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
While I don't disagree. I'd prefer EA use their development time and resources on things like a passing pocket, DB AI, suction blocking, etc, than I would refs on the field. Now if they actually do work on those things,remains to be seen.
This is Tiburon tho(I'm not gonna say EA anymore because I enjoy their hockey game alot and Burnout). Those things have never really been presented well in Madden. They could at least get all the cosmetics right. Gameplay can be tweaked forever and ever. It only takes 1 time to get the appearance and the presentation tight IMO(that can be tweaked too, but after the initial implementation it can be minor tweaks). Honestly that's why I believe Tiburon dropped the ball so badly on the 1st and 2nd editions of next gen Madden. These things could have been perfect by now and the production of Madden could be focused on gameplay, franchise and online gaming. Just my opinion of course.

SageInfinite Bandcamp
https://sageinfinite.bandcamp.com/album/interminable
https://soundcloud.com/sageinfinite
Hidden Language Video Feat. Grandmilly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf5nW4rGTFM

#makethemaddenforumgreatagain

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »