Home

Fastest Player in 09?

This is a discussion on Fastest Player in 09? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-23-2008, 03:09 PM   #17
Banned

OVR: 62
Re: Fastest Player in 09?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgx2thez
I don't think Devine or Harvin should be in the upper 90s in speed. Noel is more quick then he is fast. He got walked a couple of times last year. Now, Holiday has jets.
Thank you, I would've said the same thing but if I did I'd just be seen as a homer. There is no doubt that Devine and Harvin are quick as hell, but there straight line speed isn't on par with that of some other players in CFB right now. Hell take Tennessee WR Kenny O'Neal, I wouldn't think twice in saying he'd win a foot race between himself, Harvin, and Devine, but when it comes to the ability to move east and west as well as north and south he isn't as quick as they are. Unfortunately EA doesn't really know how to make a player be quick without topping out and consequently overrating their speed rating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelasthurtknee
not harvin? are you crazy. he ran a faster 60 than holliday. he's neck and neck with holliday for the fastest football player in the sec. i acutally think he plays faster than holliday and thats alot for me to say since i'm and lsu fan and hate the gators.
IIRC Holliday finished second at the NCAA Track and Field Championships in the 100m (maybe third) and is probably a future Olympian. Harvin's speed doesn't compare, period.
Old 04-23-2008, 03:31 PM   #18
KG
Welcome Back

KG's Arena

OVR: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNole
Thank you, I would've said the same thing but if I did I'd just be seen as a homer. There is no doubt that Devine and Harvin are quick as hell, but there straight line speed isn't on par with that of some other players in CFB right now. Hell take Tennessee WR Kenny O'Neal, I wouldn't think twice in saying he'd win a foot race between himself, Harvin, and Devine, but when it comes to the ability to move east and west as well as north and south he isn't as quick as they are. Unfortunately EA doesn't really know how to make a player be quick without topping out and consequently overrating their speed rating.

IIRC Holliday finished second at the NCAA Track and Field Championships in the 100m (maybe third) and is probably a future Olympian. Harvin's speed doesn't compare, period.
Yeah man. Rarely is there a guy that is very elusive but also contains elite speed. Reggie Bush is the only one that comes to mind. The kid from ECU last year had elite speed but wasn't as elusive. Hell, I'm still a lil salty that Noel didn't go to FSU. I remember seeing highlights of that kid when he was a FR & soph.
Old 04-23-2008, 03:34 PM   #19
KG
Welcome Back

KG's Arena

OVR: 35

I'm not an MD fan but their WR Darius Heyward-Bey can fly.
Old 04-23-2008, 03:39 PM   #20
Banned

OVR: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgx2thez
Yeah man. Rarely is there a guy that is very elusive but also contains elite speed. Reggie Bush is the only one that comes to mind. The kid from ECU last year had elite speed but wasn't as elusive. Hell, I'm still a lil salty that Noel didn't go to FSU. I remember seeing highlights of that kid when he was a FR & soph.
You know who would actually be a perfect example of EA's failure to appreciate the difference between speed and quickness or what you might call football speed, Peter Warrick. In the old days he was rated as one of the 2-3 fastest players in the game, in NCAA 2000 I think he was only behind Florida WR/Olympic Gold Medalist John Capel and fellow FSU WR Lav Coles (who at the time had a reported, albeit highly false forty time of 4.16, which is where EA got the idea to use that number to rate speed). In reality Peter Warrick had horrendous straightline speed, somewhere around a 4.69 forty time. Now I am not saying Devine or Harvin are that proportionately slow, but merely using Warrick as an example to show that EA has been unable to grasp the difference in this concept for about 10 years now.

Devin Hester would be another better example in Madden. I can guarantee you if every player in the NFL competed he is not the fastest player in the league (I'd put my money on Maurice Jones-Drew FWIW), but he is the first player to ever have a 100 rating for speed. It is a shame EA can't grasp how to formulate the difference.
Old 04-23-2008, 10:06 PM   #21
Rookie

OVR: 1

Jacoby Ford won the 60 meter indoors last year. Would have won this year had he not broke his foot in football season. Still finished 2nd in the 100 meter at the ACC championships. Dude can straight fly.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-24-2008, 09:42 AM   #22
MVP

OVR: 11

OU Lendy Holmes and DeMarco Murry needs to go on the list. I seen Holmes run down Texas A@M runnigback Mike Goodson from behind last year, and Goodson had a big @ss head start!
Old 04-24-2008, 10:30 AM   #23
MVP

thelasthurtknee's Arena

OVR: 12

o.k., i don't know what to say about some of you guys comments. wow!

most recent 40 times

harvin 4.29
holliday 4.27
rainey was faster than both with 4.26 last weekend

i dont even like florida but i'm also not uninformed. harvin was florida's state 100 meter champ with a 10.6 at 220lbs. wow. also won the 200 meter relay and the 400. no straight line speed? he also just had surgery to correct his cronic heel problem and they expect him to be able to train more and be faster. holliday did run record 10.02 this year in the 100. amazing. i think you can see by there numbers who's speed translates to the football field better. i'm not saying either one of these guys is the fastest in pads but if you think harvin is not and elite speed guy you have not followed anything about him since high school.
i really hate the gators. harvin was supposed to be a tiger.
Old 04-24-2008, 10:54 AM   #24
Rookie

randyf's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelasthurtknee
o.k., i don't know what to say about some of you guys comments. wow!

most recent 40 times

harvin 4.29
holliday 4.27
rainey was faster than both with 4.26 last weekend

i dont even like florida but i'm also not uninformed. harvin was florida's state 100 meter champ with a 10.6 at 220lbs. wow. also won the 200 meter relay and the 400. no straight line speed? he also just had surgery to correct his cronic heel problem and they expect him to be able to train more and be faster. holliday did run record 10.02 this year in the 100. amazing. i think you can see by there numbers who's speed translates to the football field better. i'm not saying either one of these guys is the fastest in pads but if you think harvin is not and elite speed guy you have not followed anything about him since high school.
i really hate the gators. harvin was supposed to be a tiger.
I think you are uninformed, Harvin is from Virginia he might weigh 200lbs right now but came in at to UF as a Frosh at about 175. The forty times for Harvin I have no clue where you found that. I would assume that when harvin goes pro and runs a legit timed 40 either at the pro day or combine you will see in the 4.35 range. He will blow everyone away in the 3 cone.

For full disclosure I am a florida fan.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »