Home

NCAA Football 09 Hands-On Preview: Part one: Pasta Padre

This is a discussion on NCAA Football 09 Hands-On Preview: Part one: Pasta Padre within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-25-2008, 03:04 PM   #41
MVP

SteelerSpartan's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: NCAA Football 09 Hands-On Preview: Part one: Pasta Padre

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Unit40
This and
- 100 point shootout games on 5 minutes quarters, All-American.
- Too high completion percentages
- Too many cheerleader cutscenes
- Smooth animations and a lot of new animations
- Wide open gameplay with very few arm tackle attempts, wide running lanes
- Very offense oriented and it's tough to get defensive stops
- User catching can be somewhat abused
- Deep ball for HUM is still too easy
- Playaction passing works much better
- Ability to use slide protection, pinch aggressively
- Better gang tackling, branching animations
- QB composure can't affect your vision of WR routes at the LOS
- Dynamic attendance (fans will leave in a blowout, but the student section will remain)
- QBs can stil make last-second pitches with accuracy in the option game, but the D can break them up at times.
- Overall feel of the game is a combo of current gen meets next gen. Very fluid. Players feel like they have weight and momentum.

That' all I can really remember. I'm still ticked about the INTs though. Major letdown.
I think there was also something said about it being hard to user control DBs effectively...

like they would get set in a pre determined path(while ball in the air) and make it difficult to swat the ball....and when they would press the swat button they would still pick it off sometimes still

Last edited by SteelerSpartan; 04-25-2008 at 03:08 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-25-2008, 03:08 PM   #42
BOOM!

AuburnAlumni's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Overall the game is a lot of fun and instantly a lot of improvements are going to be seen. Player movement feels better than ever before and the blocking is excellent. The wide open gameplay brings back a lot of excitement but I suspect that over time the ease of moving the ball, making big plays, and the INTs for TDs may wear on those who play the game a lot. There is still time though and hopefully they take the feedback that we have given act on it. Check back for part two this afternoon!
Ugh, ugh..double ugh!

I should have known that EA's idea of "wide open gameplay" is ZERO defense and an obnoxiously overdone big play aspect.

Oh how I long for someone to make a TRUE football sim, without having to worry if 8 year old Timmy can put up offensive numbers that would make Steve Spurrier envious.
Old 04-25-2008, 03:25 PM   #43
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaxican8504
Bad pursuit angles were what I was concerned about while reading the impressions from yesterday. They were absolutely atrocious in the PS2 version last year. And when I read that NCAA 2009 was going to be a combination of 2008's next/last gen versions, I was hoping their two biggest issues (INTs and pursuit angles) would be addressed. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like that was the case.
It looks like when the Last Gen and Next Gen started sipping their champaign and listening to Barry White, instead of getting a nice mix of the best features from each gen, they basically produced a two headed monster that didn't fix any of the past on the field issues, and infact it sounds like the gamebreaking issues have multiplied.

I bet the fouled up pursuit angles are to create more big plays....Yeah EA, broken pursuit angles definitely makes that "Open Field" experience seem spot on. Can't wait to see the AI chasing my ball carrier around like a swarm of bees in High Definition as I run to the endzone turn around and run right back to the other endzone.

What's wrong with these people. Things that were correct before appear to be broken beyond repair now. They need to scrap this engine, things won't get any better until they do.

Last edited by fistofrage; 04-25-2008 at 03:30 PM.
Old 04-25-2008, 03:29 PM   #44
2010,13,15,16 CHAMPS!

SidVish's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAlumni
Ugh, ugh..double ugh!

I should have known that EA's idea of "wide open gameplay" is ZERO defense and an obnoxiously overdone big play aspect.

Oh how I long for someone to make a TRUE football sim, without having to worry if 8 year old Timmy can put up offensive numbers that would make Steve Spurrier envious.

I was a little suspect when I heard wide open gameplay too but not to this extent. Pasta said they had combined 100 pt games on FIVE minute quarters! That's just well absurd.
"I thought LeBron James was just going to be another addition to help me score."
Ricky Davis
Quote:
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein
Old 04-25-2008, 03:37 PM   #45
Hall Of Fame

Brandwin's Arena

OVR: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAlumni
Ugh, ugh..double ugh!

Yep!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-25-2008, 03:44 PM   #46
MVP

bad_philanthropy's Arena

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowitzki41
I was a little suspect when I heard wide open gameplay too but not to this extent. Pasta said they had combined 100 pt games on FIVE minute quarters! That's just well absurd.
Yes, that is absurd. I understand the necessity for the events of a game to be scaled to a certain smaller time period than real football, but 100 point games on five minute quarters i just ridiculous. I personally liked the accelerated clock that the Madden series used to have as I was able to play with longer quarter lengths and ended up wit more realistic results and a more appropriate number of plays per game.

I randomly checked out the scores from a mid-season week this past season and took some of the random scores and the average line worked out to be 34-17.5 and I bet that is pretty consistent week in and week out in college football. I am interested to see how the scores in EA's game will average out by comparison.
Old 04-25-2008, 03:53 PM   #47
Stop The GOAT Talk

SageInfinite's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by fistofrage
It looks like when the Last Gen and Next Gen started sipping their champaign and listening to Barry White, instead of getting a nice mix of the best features from each gen, they basically produced a two headed monster that didn't fix any of the past on the field issues, and infact it sounds like the gamebreaking issues have multiplied.

I bet the fouled up pursuit angles are to create more big plays....Yeah EA, broken pursuit angles definitely makes that "Open Field" experience seem spot on. Can't wait to see the AI chasing my ball carrier around like a swarm of bees in High Definition as I run to the endzone turn around and run right back to the other endzone.

What's wrong with these people. Things that were correct before appear to be broken beyond repair now. They need to scrap this engine, things won't get any better until they do.
Seems like after next gen and last gen got it on they realized they were related.

SageInfinite Bandcamp
https://sageinfinite.bandcamp.com/album/interminable
https://soundcloud.com/sageinfinite
Hidden Language Video Feat. Grandmilly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf5nW4rGTFM

#makethemaddenforumgreatagain
Old 04-25-2008, 03:56 PM   #48
BOOM!

AuburnAlumni's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by fistofrage
One of them had an STD called "Herpes Complex INTTD" that infected the other. The other one had an STD called "CPU AI DOA" that is life threatening as well.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »