Home

Which School Should Be #1?

This is a discussion on Which School Should Be #1? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-06-2008, 04:42 PM   #33
Rookie

GetYaWeigtUp's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: Which School Should Be #1?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
I guess we'll see. People said the same thing after Carson Palmer left. No one knew about Leinart.

As far as not having those other guys. Their backfield is very talented. CJ Gable, Stefon Johnson are as good as anyone. Actually they are very deep at RB. I am not sure the status of Marc Tyler, but he could be the best of the bunch. Joe McKnight may very well end up being the second coming of Reggie Bush. He showed the same flashes as a freshman that Bush did as a freshman.

Mark Sanchez has the tools to be the next great USC QB. At WR, Ronald Johnson, David Ausberry, Travon Johnson and the rest of the group are maturing, and are very gifted physically. Losing Fred Davis will hurt.

I guess point being, I've heard this song and dance before. We've heard they've lost to much, that they have no chance with the new players to beat some powerful OOC foe. Fact of the matter is, they aren't replacing more now than they have before, and they haven't lost to an OOC opponent outside of the UT game since 2002, while playing top schools on the road or home.

Ask Illinois how little explosiveness they lacked when they were reasonably healthy. And that was without CJ Gable.

Will they win? Again I don't know, but many fans of opposing power schools have learned the hard way about writing USC off.
I'm not writing them off. I'm just not sold they will be a NC type team. All of those guys you named are either Sophmores or Juniors. They've had a year or 2 in the spot light and they havent produced much. The RBs have been great but Im keying in on those WRs. Mike Williams was a stud as a sophmore along with Dwayne Jarrett and Steve Smith.

These WRs at USC have had some time to mature and havent. But that doesnt write them off, they'll just have to get it done this year. I wont be surprised to see them do so, I'm just saying they havent yet, and that they have had time.

And Illinois doesnt play great defense, they were solid but not great by any means. Plus Juice Williams gave them the ball every chance he could. Any offense would seem explosive with a lot of turnovers provided by the other team.

Last edited by GetYaWeigtUp; 05-06-2008 at 04:46 PM.
Old 05-06-2008, 04:42 PM   #34
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by davin
1. Georgia
2. Florida
3. USC
4. Ohio State
5. West Virginia
I would agree. Although I really do think at this point they are all interchangable.
Old 05-06-2008, 04:47 PM   #35
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetYaWeigtUp
I'm not writing them off. I'm just not sold they will be a NC type team. All of those guys you named are either Sophmores or Juniors. They've had a year or 2 in the spot light and they havent produced much. The RBs have been great but Im keying in on those WRs. Mike Williams was a stud as a sophmore along with Dwayne Jarrett and Steve Smith.

These WRs at USC have had some time to mature and havent. But that doesnt write them off, they'll just have to get it done this year. I wont be surprised to see them do so, I'm just saying they havent yet, and that they have had time.
Turner has been a disapointment.

Ronald Johnson was just a freshman last year. It was Ausberry's first extended time last year. And even then his playing time was inconsistent because they were rotating so many of those guys in there.

I will say this about Ausberry, I am not sure how he's going to turn out, but from a physical ability standpoint, he's got as much talent as anyone they've had in the last 7 years. Ronald Johnson is probably the most explosive WR they've had in the Carroll era, and he gives them the first true downfield threat they've had since Kareem Kelly. Again with him, it's just about consistency and improving on his freshman season.

Will they live up to their potential, not sure, but OSU shouldn't take that team lightly, as they tend to really get up when they feel threatened. It's the Stanfords and UCLA's of the world that cause them problems. Hell Stanford almost beat them in 2004, when they were the best team in the country.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-06-2008, 04:54 PM   #36
KOL
Charmer

KOL's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Turner has been a disapointment.

Ronald Johnson was just a freshman last year. It was Ausberry's first extended time last year. And even then his playing time was inconsistent because they were rotating so many of those guys in there.

I will say this about Ausberry, I am not sure how he's going to turn out, but from a physical ability standpoint, he's got as much talent as anyone they've had in the last 7 years. Ronald Johnson is probably the most explosive WR they've had in the Carroll era, and he gives them the first true downfield threat they've had since Kareem Kelly. Again with him, it's just about consistency and improving on his freshman season.

Will they live up to their potential, not sure, but OSU shouldn't take that team lightly, as they tend to really get up when they feel threatened. It's the Stanfords and UCLA's of the world that cause them problems. Hell Stanford almost beat them in 2004, when they were the best team in the country.
If USC were in a tougher conference then they may of had a brutal schedule in '08.
As it is if USC wind up with 1 loss they could find thereselves in Miami, it's like you said the smaller colleges seem to do well against them, which QB will they go to though?
Old 05-06-2008, 04:57 PM   #37
KOL
Charmer

KOL's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by davin
1. Georgia
2. Florida
3. USC
4. Ohio State
5. West Virginia
Weird how Florida who lost to Michigan who got smashed by Ohio State who got smashed by LSU guess we need a playoff system pretty bad!
Old 05-06-2008, 04:57 PM   #38
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishMet89
If USC were in a tougher conference then they may of had a brutal schedule in '08.
As it is if USC wind up with 1 loss they could find thereselves in Miami, it's like you said the smaller colleges seem to do well against them, which QB will they go to though?
I don't buy the Pac 10 is weak argument. Pac 10 teams are the only ones that have been able to beat them since 2002.

Mark Sanchez is the favorite to be the QB coming out of spring ball, but at USC no job is safe, so Mustain could win it. Aaron Corp had a very good spring as well, but he's got no shot to bypass the other two.
Old 05-06-2008, 05:00 PM   #39
KOL
Charmer

KOL's Arena

Quote:
I don't buy the Pac 10 is weak argument. Pac 10 teams are the only ones that have been able to beat them since 2002.

Mark Sanchez is the favorite to be the QB coming out of spring ball, but at USC no job is safe, so Mustain could win it. Aaron Corp had a very good spring as well, but he's got no shot to bypass the other two.
But apart from bowl games who do USC really play out of conference?
If they beat the Buckeyes then they proved their point but if not.........
Old 05-06-2008, 05:02 PM   #40
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishMet89
But apart from bowl games who do USC really play out of conference?
If they beat the Buckeyes then they proved their point but if not.........
This year? At Virgina, Notre Dame and Ohio State. What school has a better out of conference schedule?

Over the past 7 years what school has scheduled better OOC?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »