Home

The Future

This is a discussion on The Future within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-20-2008, 09:32 PM   #1
Rookie

Sheik's Arena

OVR: 3
The Future

I have to admit, I've been avoiding EA's football offerings for a while now. I just wasn't feeling as though I was actually playing the best game on the market. Having said that, I'm quite optimistic over what little I have seen so far.

a few questions still remain.

Will there ever be a time when I feel like I'm playing a game within its own universe? What I mean by that is.....

Will I ever be able to...

* become a offensive//defensive powerhouse that is known for any one thing?
amazingly talented linebackers, defensive ends, tackles, qb's, receivers, etc.
So much so that the most talented of those types have a special interest in my program.
outstanding special team..like Virginia Tech?
a school full of athletic freaks that we shoehorn into positions: miami, florida state, etc.

* able to start and maintain a tradition. Specific numbers for team captains, positions..etc
create a tradition?

* defense that actually continues to play well after the second half.
If they've only rushed for 15 yards in the first half and only thrown for 82, there really isn't going to be some great innovation on the sideline that's going to equate to a 300 yard second half eruption.

Assistant coaches that you can sign and or fire that actually turn your players into prime time offensive threats or lockdown defenders.

like say for instance..the job Tropper Taylor did with the Vols receivers..Meachum and Swain 2 seasons ago.

just some gripes.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-21-2008, 12:09 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: The Future

You bring up a couple ideas that are interesting. It'd be nice to establish program traditions over time, the question is, how do the developers go about programming the game to "notice" a specific tradition is building, unless you mean artificially creating them.

I do like the idea of managing your assistants. I think that is definitely something EA should look into in the future for Dynasty mode. Just think, you start a Dynasty, especially if you create your own school, and one of your first administrative tasks is to put together a coaching staff to work under you. You'd have a pool of unemployed coaches consider, and it'd be cool if you could talk to assistants currently coaching at other programs and see if they're interested in joining your staff. The DB coach at X school may love the opportunity to come and be your defensive coordinator.

If you notice you've been keeping you depth chart stocked with talented DBs, yet they're consistently under-performing and under-developing, you can give your DBs coach the boot and hunt for a new one or promote someone internally. Additionally, coaches could get offered jobs from other programs or NFL and potentially leave. Just like injuries, yeah it sucks when your highly competent DC gets offered a head coach job somewhere else and leaves to take it, but hey, thats reality, it can happen, and it'd add a lot to the realism and immersion.

In addition to scouting the coaches strengths and weaknesses (attribute development tendencies of the players under him), it may even be cool to conduct a brief interview with a coach in which you could ask questions about their coaching philosophies. Well...that may be a bit much and the QA content would probably degrade into a generic pool of text, but still, I really like the general idea of this!

Last edited by VWarrior; 05-21-2008 at 12:24 AM.
Old 05-21-2008, 03:20 PM   #3
Rookie

Sheik's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWarrior
You bring up a couple ideas that are interesting. It'd be nice to establish program traditions over time, the question is, how do the developers go about programming the game to "notice" a specific tradition is building, unless you mean artificially creating them.

I do like the idea of managing your assistants. I think that is definitely something EA should look into in the future for Dynasty mode. Just think, you start a Dynasty, especially if you create your own school, and one of your first administrative tasks is to put together a coaching staff to work under you. You'd have a pool of unemployed coaches consider, and it'd be cool if you could talk to assistants currently coaching at other programs and see if they're interested in joining your staff. The DB coach at X school may love the opportunity to come and be your defensive coordinator.

If you notice you've been keeping you depth chart stocked with talented DBs, yet they're consistently under-performing and under-developing, you can give your DBs coach the boot and hunt for a new one or promote someone internally. Additionally, coaches could get offered jobs from other programs or NFL and potentially leave. Just like injuries, yeah it sucks when your highly competent DC gets offered a head coach job somewhere else and leaves to take it, but hey, thats reality, it can happen, and it'd add a lot to the realism and immersion.

In addition to scouting the coaches strengths and weaknesses (attribute development tendencies of the players under him), it may even be cool to conduct a brief interview with a coach in which you could ask questions about their coaching philosophies. Well...that may be a bit much and the QA content would probably degrade into a generic pool of text, but still, I really like the general idea of this!

You brought up a lot of things that I hadn't even thought about.
But the whole coaching system sounds very interesting.
I'll definitely have to think about this some more.

Maybe even a system that won't allow you to spend X amount of dollars on your offensive or defensive coordinator because the school itself isn't a 5 star school and doesn't want to commit that type of money to football.

I'm thinking it could work.
Old 05-21-2008, 03:31 PM   #4
Pro

Gamecock's Arena

OVR: 9

I like the idea of the numbers being designated for certain players like how USC reserves the 54 for a line backer. I wouldn't call it tradition but I would like to no longer see 42 being wore by any Arizona State players.
Old 05-21-2008, 11:01 PM   #5
Rookie

radoslaw77's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheik
I have to admit, I've been avoiding EA's football offerings for a while now. I just wasn't feeling as though I was actually playing the best game on the market. Having said that, I'm quite optimistic over what little I have seen so far.

a few questions still remain.

Will there ever be a time when I feel like I'm playing a game within its own universe? What I mean by that is.....

Will I ever be able to...

* become a offensive//defensive powerhouse that is known for any one thing?
amazingly talented linebackers, defensive ends, tackles, qb's, receivers, etc.
So much so that the most talented of those types have a special interest in my program.
outstanding special team..like Virginia Tech?
a school full of athletic freaks that we shoehorn into positions: miami, florida state, etc.

* able to start and maintain a tradition. Specific numbers for team captains, positions..etc
create a tradition?

* defense that actually continues to play well after the second half.
If they've only rushed for 15 yards in the first half and only thrown for 82, there really isn't going to be some great innovation on the sideline that's going to equate to a 300 yard second half eruption.

Assistant coaches that you can sign and or fire that actually turn your players into prime time offensive threats or lockdown defenders.

like say for instance..the job Tropper Taylor did with the Vols receivers..Meachum and Swain 2 seasons ago.

just some gripes.
Completely agree. The game has plateued. I believe it's largely due to the lack of competition and EA's monopoly over college football.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »