Home

PSU vs WVU

This is a discussion on PSU vs WVU within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-26-2008, 09:26 PM   #65
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62
Re: PSU vs WVU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moostache
Alarm Bell #1 - first WVU drive of the game, maybe their first PLAY, Pat White, a left-handed Q, is sprinting to his RIGHT and manages to throw BACK ACROSS THE FIELD to a WIDE-OPEN WR on a slant route...disheartening to say the least because that is TRUE EA-style football right there...this nonsense needs to be stripped from the game already! I can't stand that total disregard for the laws of physics. I was not a gigantic fan of the 2K series, but I have to say they nailed this aspect of gameplay and EA stubbornly refuses to make a meaningful change to their game EVERY STINKING YEAR.

I guar-an-god-damn-tee that online play will once again be a mess of moronic play from guys who emulate Madden Challenge with college players...

Reality score = -1

Alarm Bell #2 = waaaaaaaaaaaaay too many shots of the stupid mascot and cheerleaders and not nearly enough in-game stats, actual in-game commentary (how freaking hard would it be to have Corso or Herbstreit actually say something RELEVANT to the game being played? ****, Madden has Collinsworth actually sounding half-way decent in the clips of the Backtrack feature...guess we are going to the old-EA model of NCAA = Madden-lite again and can expect that level of commentary in the proverbial "next year"?

Atmosphere / Presentation score = -1

Alarm Bell #3 = while I liked the new textures for the grass (even though it IS very Madden 2008-esque at heart) and the stadium lighting and new and improved player models, I got a very disquieting feeling of deja vu watching that game. I hate to join the brigade of "same-game, new rosters", but I could not help but feel that there was nothing too drastic in the overall flow of the game to make me think of anything else. It DID look a lot like 2008 at times - mainly due to the fact that the gameplay camera is essentially 100% unchanged - maybe, just maybe actually PLAYING the game gives you a totally different feeling of control and possibilities (and I am banking on THAT as my only potential saving grace at this time), but it sure as hell does NOT LOOK like a totally new experience for sure.

"EA Sports - Presentation Plus" am fail....-1.

I always LOVE the EA highlight clips and promo videos - I have said it before and I will say it again - THOSE guys are 100% on the money and know their ****! Whatever EA is paying the guys who do their promo videos is not enough by half! And then every single year I start to see too many repeated plays and animations and most importantly repeated outcomes. Then the game releases and everything is wonderful for a few hours until the servers take a crap on everyone and the lag raises its ugly head...fast forward to October and the glitches and crap will rule the scene.

Second verse....same as the first..."I'm Henry the Eighth I am, Henry the Eighth I am I am..." Its basically what I intend to tell anyone at EA's production team next week - explicitly that the "Lather. Rinse. Repeat" aspect of their NCAA and Madden franchises is getting very stale and needs a total overhaul - that is unless the experience of actually PLAYING is somehow completely different that the experience of WATCHING...not holding my breath on that one though.
so, did you like the video or not?

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-26-2008, 09:33 PM   #66
Banned

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
so, did you like the video or not?
In Barrack Obama's best trying to sound civil tone...I liked the video well enough.

I guess what I am trying to say is that I was not immediately "WOWED" by it like I was for the recent Madden comparison videos...it definitely looks like NCAA is NOT getting that same level of improved foot pinning and overall control.

I want to love the game again, not just overlook its flaws and live with it. I still play NCAA 2008, so I don't HATE the game, I'm just disappointed that the gameplay is continuing to evolve at a time that a revolutionary change is probably more what the doctor ordered for the franchise...
Old 05-26-2008, 09:58 PM   #67
MVP

bad_philanthropy's Arena

OVR: 24

I liked what I saw for the most part but EA really needs to tweak how the cpu players run the ball. I don't understand why they don't hit the hole decisively and instead dance around unnecessarily, especially after the painful display of AI running last year where the cpu player would immediately protect the ball and gingerly tiptoe around blockers instead of hitting a hole that they open up.
Old 05-26-2008, 10:52 PM   #68
KG
Welcome Back

KG's Arena

OVR: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad_philanthropy
I liked what I saw for the most part but EA really needs to tweak how the cpu players run the ball. I don't understand why they don't hit the hole decisively and instead dance around unnecessarily, especially after the painful display of AI running last year where the cpu player would immediately protect the ball and gingerly tiptoe around blockers instead of hitting a hole that they open up.
EA just needs different running styles. A scat back like Noel doesnt run like a big power back and vice versa. I thought the rest of the video wasn't that bad besides the CPU's accuracy and the mascot. Please tell me you will be able to skip thru them.

I do really like how the CPU move's pre-snap on defense and there was even a facemask call
Old 05-26-2008, 11:16 PM   #69
My Momma's Son

bigeastbumrush's Arena

OVR: 37

I just watched the Madden videos for the first time- Giants vs. Pats and Eagles vs. Cowboys.

There is no way I am getting NCAA 09.

The graphics/presentation difference between the 2 titles looks like 16-bit vs. Next Gen.

It's clear that EA spent the money on Madden.

Thanks for the previews for this game. Saved me some money.
Old 05-26-2008, 11:40 PM   #70
Rookie

OVR: 2

Who ever is saying that its the same game as last year is on crack. Last years game was one of the worst NCAA (probably the worst) I have ever played. It is the first NCAA game that was sold back before the college season even started.

With that being said, from what I can see in the videos, it looks like a completely different game. The running looks better. Its faster. The tackling is better. Yes its not perfect but there isnt a perfect football game. I LOVED apf 2k8. But lets be honest, it had its flaws.

I thought i wasnt going to buy NCAA this year (which would be a first, i have owned them all). But after seeing these beta videos and some of the producer clips, I am DEFINITELY getting this game.
Old 05-26-2008, 11:56 PM   #71
All Star

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by farnzworth
Who ever is saying that its the same game as last year is on crack. Last years game was one of the worst NCAA (probably the worst) I have ever played. It is the first NCAA game that was sold back before the college season even started.

With that being said, from what I can see in the videos, it looks like a completely different game. The running looks better. Its faster. The tackling is better. Yes its not perfect but there isnt a perfect football game. I LOVED apf 2k8. But lets be honest, it had its flaws.

I thought i wasnt going to buy NCAA this year (which would be a first, i have owned them all). But after seeing these beta videos and some of the producer clips, I am DEFINITELY getting this game.
I do think the one thing you really have to agree with is the QB play in this series. The QB shouldn't be so fast when dropping back and clearly shouldn't be able to throw so well on the run. More high and low throws are needed even when in the pocket for that matter. More misses and less incompletions because of picks or drops. Like the previous poster said, APF did a nice job in this regard. White throw likely would have gone into the ground well short of the target.

If EA could nail this closer to APF then it would drastically improve gameplay in my mind. The other issues i am more like the poster i quoted here. I think the 09 version does look much better than 08 even if it was just fixing things like turnovers, varied penalties, fix the depth chart, changing players class, and better DB AI. I would be content enough for this year. Since those things and better graphics are in there i think its going to be pretty decent (outside the mentioned QB play).

Last edited by dkrause1971; 05-26-2008 at 11:59 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-27-2008, 08:25 AM   #72
MVP

therizing02's Arena

OVR: 20

It's definitely a step up from 08 but, it's not night and day different. After the patch I was content with 08 (I still play it). I should be pretty happy with this game.

A couple things that have me worried are the completion percentages and the "wide open" gameplay. Adjusting the QB ACC slider won't help this because if you lower the slider the QB velocity and distance thrown are reduced. I also notice things like White rolling to his right and the awkward, quick animation to throw a bullet pass to the left. That needs to be fixed, but it's hardly a game killer.

In 08 I have to play 10 minute quarters to get a realistic amount of plays. I hope in 09 if I have the same settings I'm not scoring 60 points a game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »