Home

Ncaa Football 2004

This is a discussion on Ncaa Football 2004 within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-27-2008, 08:34 PM   #65
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: Ncaa Football 2004

I think a lot of people on here have forgotten how good these games used to be!

I'm sure I (like many) annoy people, because I complain about the new games on next-gen all the time, but it's only because I still play the old ones all the time, and they are SOOO much better than the new stuff.

This was the first year I passed on the game, and honestly I haven't even missed it...the last gen versions and 2k5 still give me my fix and are so superior in terms of gameplay.

Spend a week playing one of those games and '09 is almost unplayable.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-27-2008, 08:43 PM   #66
MVP

OVR: 12

I played NCAA 2004 so much it's sick. I think I got to year 5 on a Northwestern dynasty along with year 6 of a Central Michigan one. The game easily goes down as one of my favorites and most played of all time.

Come to think of it, most of the games I loved in sports were within those years. I loved Madden 03 and ESPN 2K5. Sports games have gone down the hill since then. Sad that almost all those games had more features than the ones we see now.
Old 07-27-2008, 08:50 PM   #67
MVP

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMT
Right. 2004 was all about calling hail mary and either throwing the bomb or running for the easy 10 yards with your QB based on what the defense called.
As opposed to running crossing patterns with speedy receivers or curl routes with anyone in 2009.

You could play around the AI better in 2004, and with a deeper game it didn't seem as big a deal. Plus all their features weren't broken.

If you slapped next gen graphics on 2004, people would take it over 2009 in a heartbeat.
Old 07-28-2008, 01:42 PM   #68
MVP

stoncold32's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bears5122
As opposed to running crossing patterns with speedy receivers or curl routes with anyone in 2009.

You could play around the AI better in 2004, and with a deeper game it didn't seem as big a deal. Plus all their features weren't broken.

If you slapped next gen graphics on 2004, people would take it over 2009 in a heartbeat.
Exactly, I never had an issue with the deep ball being money. If I was using a great team with a good QB and receiver, yeah they would burn a mediocre DB. But you could mess with sliders and it would make it tougher.
Old 07-28-2008, 01:55 PM   #69
Bow for Bau

Vince's Arena

OVR: 28

i'm gonna go to EB during my break and try to see if they have it for like 5 bucks

http://twitter.com/52isthemike
Old 07-28-2008, 02:06 PM   #70
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMT
Right. 2004 was all about calling hail mary and either throwing the bomb or running for the easy 10 yards with your QB based on what the defense called.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bears5122

Also the game wasn't so broken to the point that the human player couldn't have an impact on the outcome of the game on defense and combat these "problems". Just as easy as it was for someone to lob a deep ball and go try to user catch it, I could take control of a DB and go run to the spot also and try to get it. You could also play the MLB and stop crossing routes and the QB scramble if you were a skilled player. This was the first year of online, and the cheesers back then weren't as annoying because you could shut them down and they'd just quit.

But I feel with NCAA 09 that defense is a crapshoot. I feel for the first time that I have ZERO effect on the outcome of game on D. If I cover the crossing routes, the flats are open. If I play the SS the MLB CANNOT cover the RB routes effectively. Zones are broken and the DBs are mentally ********. Only man defenses seem effective at times, but it doesn't matter because the lack of the pass rush gives Mr. Robo QB 10-15 seconds to shred your defense apart.
Old 07-28-2008, 02:18 PM   #71
ehh
Hall Of Fame

ehh's Arena

OVR: 44

In 2004 the AI defense for your non-human controlled players wasn't that great but you could get a ton of user picks and knockdowns. The game was so amazingly responsive in that regards which is why '04 remains my favorite in the series. You could press A when the pass was in mid-air to switch to the closest defender and hit Y to try to pick it off. If you try that now the DB you switch to usually stops moving and/or it's not a smooth transition. That wasn't the case in '04. Defense was about as fun as offense, my roommate actually won the Heisman with his CB/punt returner.

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas." - Warren Buffet
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-28-2008, 02:45 PM   #72
MVP

stoncold32's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehh
In 2004 the AI defense for your non-human controlled players wasn't that great but you could get a ton of user picks and knockdowns. The game was so amazingly responsive in that regards which is why '04 remains my favorite in the series. You could press A when the pass was in mid-air to switch to the closest defender and hit Y to try to pick it off. If you try that now the DB you switch to usually stops moving and/or it's not a smooth transition. That wasn't the case in '04. Defense was about as fun as offense, my roommate actually won the Heisman with his CB/punt returner.
Yeah I noticed how responsive it was last time I played it.

Do you think it has something to do with the fact that were playing with wireless controlers now, that may cause even the slightest hitch in the control?

Although I'm sure there were wireless controllers on PS2.....

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »