Home

Is anyone going to the Gamestop NCAA tournament this Saturday?

This is a discussion on Is anyone going to the Gamestop NCAA tournament this Saturday? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-14-2008, 05:51 PM   #65
Rookie

Deathblooms's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: Is anyone going to the Gamestop NCAA tournament this Saturday?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
There was 4 guys total, including me, at my tournament. I easily won both games using the Buckeyes. The first game I beat Michigan 42-0 and the second game I beat UVA 35-3. Buckeyes defense came up huge!! I'll post a little recap here in a bit.

I'm very happy to have won two games and been the Round 1 winner. I know in Round 2 I'll probably face much, much stiffer competition but I'm still happy, I never win anything. It's also nice to see that I played str8 and beat cheese constantly in this tournament. The EA devs would be quite proud if they had saw our games and how they went.
Congrats, I should have gotten my lazy azz up and went to the tournament. So you were getting a heavy dose of cheese eh?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-14-2008, 06:00 PM   #66
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgeno
Did they get your name or anything?

Sounds like you could end up getting screwed in this one.
Ya, they have my name and number.
Old 06-14-2008, 06:00 PM   #67
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathblooms
Congrats, I should have gotten my lazy azz up and went to the tournament. So you were getting a heavy dose of cheese eh?
I should have known something was up when the first kid I played expressed admiration for the "best play in the game" - the Hail Mary. Lol, he went on to talk about how that was his favorite play. I just nodded and didn't say anything, all the while thinking - DUDE WTF??

Yeah in the first game it went like this:

Michigan Ball:
1st down - run backwards 10 yards with Henne,
if not sacked - throw 35-40 yards downfield and get it batted down by 3 buckeye defenders\
if sacked - head to second down and 27 yards to go
2nd down - repeat
3rd down - repeat
4th down - if you've made it this far without an interception by Malcolm Jenkins you're doing pretty good, see below:
-run backwards, pray Laurinaitis don't sack you, then throw downfield for an incompletion

Buckeyes Ball:
Run by Wells,
Short pass on crossing route to Hartline
Run the other way by Wells
Long pass to Robiskie
Short pass to some other receiver
Run by Wells,
Run by Wells,
Short pass to someone over the middle
Run by Wells for TD

Rinse and repeat, don't forget that every Buckeye drive is about 35 yards thanks to Buckeye D' sacks and no punting!!

Player of the game: Chris Wells, 5 TDs, 84 yards rushing

Second game the guy didn't really cheese at all, he was just not as good at the passing game and the Buckeyes D stifled his rushing attack. That combined with Jenkins picking the UVA QB off a couple of times (Bucks had a total of 6 interceptions + 2 fumble recoveries) made it very difficult for UVA to cash in, although they did move the ball. Plus he was UVA and I was the Bucks so that gave me a big edge right there IMO.

In the game between the other guys in which I did not play the older guy (who was my age) also used Michigan against UVA and he had the dumbest game plan I have ever seen. He admitted he wasn't a Michigan fan and knew nothing about them (the odd thing was he said he was a HUGE college basketball fan of USC - so why use Michigan and not USC? was it because Michigan was ranked #2 in the game?? who knows). Ok fine, but answer me this. Why the hell do you run around with Chad Henne like he's Tim Tebow or something? Sure I understand at first, he didn't know right? But after trying to scramble around the 2nd or 3rd time by now you know Henne is slow and not a good runner. But the guy kept doing this:

Roll Henne out and back immediately, about 15 yards to the back and to the right. Then hurl up a prayer downfield into major traffic and watch as ball gets deflected by 3 UVA guys. Do this NO MATTER what the down is. Always go for it on 4th down. And always run hurry up. And then wonder why Henne, who is already slow, gets so slow he can barely move. And while you're thinking about this, wonder why Henne is sacked 15 times before half.

Honestly, i was wishing the Michigan guy in that game, who is doing what I was saying in the above paragraph, was who I would play for the Round 1 "championship". I would have beat him more than 42-0 I think. The first kid I played (that guy's nephew) at least had some variety and didn't run hurry up all the time, although he didn't punt either.

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven

Last edited by ODogg; 06-14-2008 at 06:36 PM.
Old 06-14-2008, 06:13 PM   #68
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:

Michigan Ball:
if not sacked - throw 35-40 yards downfield and get it batted down by 3 buckeye defenders\
2nd down - repeat
3rd down - repeat
4th down - if you've made it this far without an interception by Malcolm Jenkins you're doing pretty good, see below:
-run backwards, pray Laurinaitis don't sack you, then throw downfield for an incompletion

Buckeyes Ball:
Run by Wells,
Long pass to Robiskie
Run by Wells,
Run by Wells,
Run by Wells for TD

Rinse and repeat, don't forget that every Buckeye drive is about 35 yards thanks to Buckeye D' sacks and no punting!!

Second game the guy didn't really cheese at all, he was just not as good at the passing game and the Buckeyes D stifled his rushing attack. That combined with Jenkins picking the UVA QB off a couple of times (Bucks had a total of 6 interceptions + 2 fumble recoveries) made it very difficult for UVA to cash in, although they did move the ball. Plus he was UVA and I was the Bucks so that gave me a big edge right there IMO.

In the game between the other guys in which I did not play the older guy (who was my age) also used Michigan against UVA and he had the dumbest game plan I have ever seen. He admitted he wasn't a Michigan fan and knew nothing about them (the odd thing was he said he was a HUGE college basketball fan of USC - so why use Michigan and not USC? was it because Michigan was ranked #2 in the game?? who knows). Ok fine, but answer me this. Why the hell do you run around with Chad Henne like he's Tim Tebow or something? Sure I understand at first, he didn't know right? But after trying to scramble around the 2nd or 3rd time by now you know Henne is slow and not a good runner. But the guy kept doing this:

Roll Henne out and back immediately, about 15 yards to the back and to the right. Then hurl up a prayer downfield into major traffic and watch as ball gets deflected by 3 UVA guys. Do this NO MATTER what the down is. Always go for it on 4th down. And always run hurry up. And then wonder why Henne, who is already slow, gets so slow he can barely move. And while you're thinking about this, wonder why Henne is sacked 15 times before half.

Honestly, i was wishing the Michigan guy in that game, who is doing what I was saying in the above paragraph, was who I would play for the Round 1 "championship". I would have beat him more than 42-0 I think. The first kid I played (that guy's nephew) at least had some variety and didn't run hurry up all the time, although he didn't punt either.
To be honest you probably wont play anyone decent until the 3rd round..
Old 06-14-2008, 06:18 PM   #69
Rookie

Deathblooms's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:

Michigan Ball:
2nd down - repeat
3rd down - repeat

Buckeyes Ball:
Run by Wells,
Long pass to Robiskie
Run by Wells,
Run by Wells,
Run by Wells for TD

I thought on the Gamestop website they said it would be 2 min. quarters, if you beat someone 42-0 in 2 min. quarters that's impressive
Old 06-14-2008, 06:22 PM   #70
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathblooms
I thought on the Gamestop website they said it would be 2 min. quarters, if you beat someone 42-0 in 2 min. quarters that's impressive
Oh yeah, the gamestop guy told us we could use higher quarter minutes if we wanted so we rolled with 3 minutes for the first game (which I won 42-0) and 4 minutes for the second game (which I won 35-3).

I would love to win Round 2 and beat some more cheesers!

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

Old 06-14-2008, 07:43 PM   #71
Rookie

OVR: 1

This is bogus... i went to my gamestop on friday, to put some more money down on NCAA.. The manager told me that they arent having a tourney, and that HQ went by how many reserves each store had.In fact, there are no Gamestops having a tourney for this in Northern Il.. the closest is Peoria. Not even CHICAGO.. cmon now! Sucks cause every year the store does a tourney and I always finish top 3-4.

I cant wait for the madden one though!!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-14-2008, 07:53 PM   #72
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by urlacher54
This is bogus... i went to my gamestop on friday, to put some more money down on NCAA.. The manager told me that they arent having a tourney, and that HQ went by how many reserves each store had.In fact, there are no Gamestops having a tourney for this in Northern Il.. the closest is Peoria. Not even CHICAGO.. cmon now! Sucks cause every year the store does a tourney and I always finish top 3-4.

I cant wait for the madden one though!!
are you taking the bears in that tournament?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »