Home

NCAA 99

This is a discussion on NCAA 99 within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-26-2008, 12:09 AM   #9
Rookie

GetYaWeigtUp's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: NCAA 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaunLMason
98 had Danny Wuerffel on the cover. It had the four year dynasty.

I played the crap out of that game on PSOne...I remember having a dynasty with my buddy.

He was OSU, and I was Air Force.

We both went undefeated outside of the bowl games for all 4 years.=) Probably on Varsity. LOL
Oh yea thats right. I dont remember much about it for some reason.

Yeah back then I played it on whatever level it came on. I was to afraid of the challenge. Now...All Heisman baby!
Old 06-26-2008, 02:01 AM   #10
MVP

BROman's Arena

OVR: 11

99 was the first game w/ polygons. i remember how cool i thought it was that alabama had a number on their helmet, even though every helmet had the same number- 99 hehe. and va tech actually had the correct version of their fight song for the first time in '99. 99-02 had the correct song, then as omt has alluded, they brought in that russian band and they proceeded to f%&k the song up, among others.
Old 06-26-2008, 07:00 AM   #11
MVP

OVR: 9

I actually still have this game for the pc
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-26-2008, 10:06 AM   #12
Pro

mjussawalla's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadams33
I actually still have this game for the pc
If you have the original packaging and it is in mint condition, you could sell it on ebay. Some one is asking $72 for a Mint in box.

It is still installed on my PC, I occasionally play as Purdue in dynasty in coach mode only since I don't have a controller.
Old 06-26-2008, 01:01 PM   #13
MVP

Mizzou23's Arena

OVR: 13

I played it quite a bit on the PC back in the day. I bought a graphics card solely so I could play NCAA in 3D. I couldn't believe it when I edited some names and the announcer actually said them. It was a watershed moment in my own personal gaming history.
Old 06-26-2008, 01:52 PM   #14
All Star

bhurst99's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou23
I played it quite a bit on the PC back in the day. I bought a graphics card solely so I could play NCAA in 3D. I couldn't believe it when I edited some names and the announcer actually said them. It was a watershed moment in my own personal gaming history.
I remember getting a roster off the internet for the PC version and being shocked when the announcer called the names. It was a fun game but I had to stop because it was way too easy to complete the deep pass. Shorts passes were tougher to complete than bombs. However, I seem to recall the running game was very good. Field goals were very difficult unless you had the ball at the centre of the field. If you were on a hash line, it was quite the effort to get the kick to go in from the angle.
Old 06-26-2008, 04:48 PM   #15
Banned

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioactiveman
I couldn't agree more. The realistic nature of today's games and the complexity of the controls does not exactly translate to more fun.

I think that when there's an attempt by a game developer to make a game "realistic" it only sets the expectation that the game is going to be realistic. When that expectation is set and the that bar is inevitably not met, it breeds disappointment. Hence the obsessive complaining about these games when they're released (admittedly by me as well).

At first I turned my nose up at EA's decision to make the Wii version of NCAA Football more newbie/family friendly but after giving it some thought, maybe that's not such a bad thing. Heck if I can sit down with a friend who is a casual gamer and have a competitive fun game of football I think I would welcome that.
I understand that many people feel the same way, but I just can't agree entirely. I personally think that the old games and their control schemes were horrific (more akin to guiding a tank in Atari 2600 Combat than what we have today and in the upcoming Madden and NCAA 2009 releases); and even the sacred cows of the genre (NCAA 2004, Madden '95, NFL2K5, etc.) had more than their fair share of AI flaws and shortcomings and interface woes...and yes, too much "complexity".

To me, the talk of "simplifying" the games in order to increase the fun factor ignores a very real fact - it's not necessary! WHY make a simple version of an evolved franchise or genre at all? The solution for people who are aching to return to that "simpler, better time" is already available by simply BUYING THOSE OLD GAMES AND SYSTEMS AGAIN! Problem solved! Go back and play TECMO Bowl...doesn't get much more simple than 4 total plays and unstoppable players!

The only problem for me is that what made TECMO Bowl so much fun to me and my friends back in the day was NOT the game itself or the simple interface or control scheme or even the unstoppable players (although we worked the hell out of Bo Jackson and Walter payton and Lawerence Taylor to be sure!)...it was playing the game with friends and marvelling at how much better TECMO was comapred to Intellevision Football or god forbid Atari "football". We enjoyed those games for what they were of course, but we also enjoyed them at the time for the advances they represented. For many people, they simply no longer see the games as an advance (or as much of an advance over previous versions) as they used to...hence much gnashing of teeth and baring of breasts, figuratively of course!

The whole point of making a "new" version of the games is not to see how far back the developers can take things...its to see how far forward they can push them - and this is the one area that they are finding more and more difficult year after year.... I only wish the developers and publishers could get where they're going a bit faster, but that's simply my impatience shining through...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-26-2008, 09:11 PM   #16
Pro

shaunlmason's Arena

OVR: 13

As a group, we were much more easily wowed in the past.

Why? Because games were SO bad (in comparision to now), ANYTHING was an improvement.

I remember when Tecmo Super Bowl came out for the NES...I was amazed by stat tracking and real players.

My friends and I played that same 1 season COUNTLESS times.

Why? We had nothing to divert us. We didn't have the internet, or cell phones to text on (oh how I hate how kids do that these days).

We had:
1) Go outside and play
2) Stay in and play Nintendo

Usually we only stayed inside if it was intolerable outside.

Now we have this magic internet to complain about things year round...=)
Higher expectations = more to complain about.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »