Home

NCAA 99

This is a discussion on NCAA 99 within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-26-2008, 10:35 PM   #17
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51
Re: NCAA 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by rspencer86
It's always interesting to go back and and play games from 8-10 years ago. It's amazing how far we've come in terms of visuals, but other areas haven't made the same jump. I can remember having just as much fun (sometimes more) playing the less-advanced games back then as I do the far more advanced games now.
That's been written about quite a bit. The reason, as speculated by the articles i've read, that many people enjoyed games more back before games were more realistic is that you had to use more imagination and were less easily jolted out of it than you are in today's far more realistic games. Like one of the EA guys said, the closer we get to having 100% realistic graphics the more that we get that paradox where you are more easily taken out of your imagination in game situations by even the smallest of details.

In other words, in today's game world everything tends to look so good that you REALLY notice if something isn't quite right, like a player doesn't blink enough. In the old days since everything looked like crap basically, and no one ever blinked because it was often difficult to even discern their eyes except as dots, so you never got taken out of the element of your imagination and were really able to enjoy the game without being jolted and highly annoyed by even the smallest of details. It's an interesting (and in my opinion true) theory about why so many older gamers view older games so nostalgic comparative to today's games which in so many ways are superior in nearly every sense comparative to older games.

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven

Last edited by ODogg; 06-26-2008 at 10:38 PM.
Old 06-26-2008, 11:10 PM   #18
MVP

Mizzou23's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
That's been written about quite a bit. The reason, as speculated by the articles i've read, that many people enjoyed games more back before games were more realistic is that you had to use more imagination and were less easily jolted out of it than you are in today's far more realistic games. Like one of the EA guys said, the closer we get to having 100% realistic graphics the more that we get that paradox where you are more easily taken out of your imagination in game situations by even the smallest of details.

In other words, in today's game world everything tends to look so good that you REALLY notice if something isn't quite right, like a player doesn't blink enough. In the old days since everything looked like crap basically, and no one ever blinked because it was often difficult to even discern their eyes except as dots, so you never got taken out of the element of your imagination and were really able to enjoy the game without being jolted and highly annoyed by even the smallest of details. It's an interesting (and in my opinion true) theory about why so many older gamers view older games so nostalgic comparative to today's games which in so many ways are superior in nearly every sense comparative to older games.
I've seen a graph posted online before that talks about what happens as video representations approach reality. I wish I had more info, but basically everything becomes creepy at a certain point of resembling reality. Maybe a google fiend can find what I"m talking about.
Old 06-26-2008, 11:21 PM   #19
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou23
I've seen a graph posted online before that talks about what happens as video representations approach reality. I wish I had more info, but basically everything becomes creepy at a certain point of resembling reality. Maybe a google fiend can find what I"m talking about.
It sounds like you have read the same exact stuff as what I'm talking about. The best example of it is the Final Fantasy movies or in video game form the Metal Gear Solid people. They look very close to reality but their eyes...something about their eyes is not quite right. And maybe it will never be right since many say the eyes are the gateway to the soul and it's pretty clear the difference between someone who is alive and someone who is dead when you look at their eyes. I'm not sure they will ever be able to get over that particular obstacle.

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

Old 06-26-2008, 11:27 PM   #20
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
In other words, in today's game world everything tends to look so good that you REALLY notice if something isn't quite right
I agree 100%. Those of us who go back to statis-pro and other dice games really had to use some imagination.

As for the NCAA series, there was a pretty big jump from 99 to '03. But since then, improvements have been pretty gradual.
Old 06-27-2008, 12:09 PM   #21
Banned

slickzeus's Arena

OVR: 7

yeah i used to play NCAA 99 on my computer all the time!! All i used my computer back then was for NCAA and Wolfenstein 3D haha another great game that I still occasionally get a calling for haha

With regards to advancements and video game reality, has anyone seen the new graphics card that was demonstrated that will basically allow people to play inside a movie? The developer said that you will be able to watch a movie and then immediately take control of that character anytime you want. It looks incredible, possible a glimpse of what is to come on the xbox 720 and ps4. There is a video on team xbox. Here it is http://http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox...Inside-Movies/
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-27-2008, 12:44 PM   #22
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickzeus
yeah i used to play NCAA 99 on my computer all the time!! All i used my computer back then was for NCAA and Wolfenstein 3D haha another great game that I still occasionally get a calling for haha

With regards to advancements and video game reality, has anyone seen the new graphics card that was demonstrated that will basically allow people to play inside a movie? The developer said that you will be able to watch a movie and then immediately take control of that character anytime you want. It looks incredible, possible a glimpse of what is to come on the xbox 720 and ps4. There is a video on team xbox. Here it is http://http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox...Inside-Movies/
I didn't see that. I'm going to check it out tonight though. So what football game do you play on your PC now?

Old 06-27-2008, 02:18 PM   #23
Banned

slickzeus's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
I didn't see that. I'm going to check it out tonight though. So what football game do you play on your PC now?
football on the pc has been retired to the 360 haha every now and then ill fire up the old ncaa 99 and play with the canes! haha

here's a working link for the graphics card

http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/16829/...Inside-Movies/
Old 06-27-2008, 06:52 PM   #24
Pro

servo75's Arena

OVR: 9

By that time the PS7 version JUST MIGHT have all the features that were in the PS2 version of NCAA06.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjussawalla
I recently played a game of NCAA 99 (no, it isn't a typo) on the PC. For those who don't know, it was the last version on the PC - I believe that they only sold 12,000 copies.

Back then:
-if you were lucky enough to have a 3dfx compatible card you would actually get logos on the helmet.
-there was no commentary. And the stadium announcer sounds very similar to today's PA guy.
-People were complaining that facemasks and other parts of the equipment were not the right colour (funny how things don't change)
-Most importantly, the game was fun. I think I played it for over 3 years before I finally got an Xbox.

But if you compare how far we have come in terms of quality over just 10 years, it gets you excited to see where things may go in the next 10.

Can't wait to see what NCAA 19 will be like.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »