Home

Crowd

This is a discussion on Crowd within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-05-2008, 09:23 PM   #17
OMT
MVP

OMT's Arena

OVR: 49
Re: Crowd

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorFan1963
I could do without that. If you aren't going to do it right, don't bother.
I think that says it all. Not everyone has the same opinion.
Old 07-05-2008, 09:25 PM   #18
Pro

shaunlmason's Arena

OVR: 13

How difficult would it to be to only render a specific amount of crowd based on perspective?

Meaning, reduce the level of detail as the depth of field increases?

That way, you could only render the most significant fans (those near the field during a playing session, or those in the field of vision during a camera pan) with a high level of detail, the rest with less detail.
Old 07-05-2008, 10:08 PM   #19
Rookie

GatorFan1963's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMT
You are right...not everyone has the same opinion, but there were certain things we have come to expect just from playing the old PS2/Xbox versions. And having fairly authentic stadiums for a vast majority of teams is one of those things.

Yea it's nice to see the Gator chomp and all in the game, but I don't plan on playing with Florida the entire time. I would like to start a dynasty with any team and be able to feel the experience of that team (Stadium and crowd). Maybe some school specific chants would be a nice addition.

Go back and watch that Texas vs USC national championship game. Remember when Vince scored that final TD? Well, look at how the crowd was reacting. Now, that's college football at its finest. Now where is that type of reaction from the crowd in any NCAA football title?
Old 07-05-2008, 10:15 PM   #20
Banned

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMT
But I think most do when it comes to atmosphere.
Old 07-05-2008, 10:20 PM   #21
Banned

OVR: 26

That last post came out wrong Adam Sorry, didn't mean to sound like a jerk. I'll try again: I think most people do share the same letdown when it comes to the atmosphere and presentation in this title. It's just taken steps backwards instead of forward and that's difficult for us. I'm sure you guys are working hard, but we just EXPECT so much more from a college football title. College football is so special BECAUSE of the atmosphere. Period. That's what makes it what it is.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-05-2008, 10:27 PM   #22
Pro

Buke14's Arena

OVR: 9

I agree with others in saying that IMO I love college football much more than the NFL because of ONE reason the COLLEGE ATMOSPHERE.

Down here in SEC country we know our college football, once I get my Vols running through the T in a ncaa game I will be happy.
Old 07-05-2008, 10:34 PM   #23
OMT
MVP

OMT's Arena

OVR: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaunLMason
How difficult would it to be to only render a specific amount of crowd based on perspective?

Meaning, reduce the level of detail as the depth of field increases?

That way, you could only render the most significant fans (those near the field during a playing session, or those in the field of vision during a camera pan) with a high level of detail, the rest with less detail.
Depth of field is something we can do and is not cheap. Still, I don't think it will effect on how the crowds look. We could do camera pans of the crowd with "hero" characters. This is what we do with the cheerleaders. The ones you see on the sideline as you are playing are completely different cheerleaders than the detailed ones you see in the cut scenes.

But the devs are loathe to try to put much time into the fans because that takes time away from getting say a ref on the field. What it will come down to is some sort of tech or brilliant idea that nobody has thought of yet to increase resolution without an impact on performance.

That is one of the things that happened this year. Our sideline characters have been HORRIBLE. Some rocket scientist came up with an idea on how we could pack the sidelines with better looking players and a lot more of them than what we had. Guess what really sold this? It actually used LESS system resources than the old ones which helped us to improve the field and get PS3 up to 60 fps.
Old 07-05-2008, 10:38 PM   #24
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurred
EA is doing something wrong when it comes to the crowds. I love NCAA more than any other game. However, I've played APF 2K8 and somehow they manage to have all players, realistic looking sideline players that do more than wave their arms, referees, sideline equipment, cheerleaders, dynamic realsitic crowds, and that was only in their first next gen football release. EA is in its third year.
dude APF2K8 looks like crap though on the field..

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »