Home

EA Focused Once Again on Visuals And Atmosphere

This is a discussion on EA Focused Once Again on Visuals And Atmosphere within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-09-2008, 10:38 AM   #49
All Star

OVR: 33
Re: EA Focused Once Again on Visuals And Atmosphere

Well they remade the lighting this year. Its vastly better than its predecessor ncaa 08.

Apparently, they didn't want to rush the progressive lighting thing before perfecting the new lighting system.

Next year, they'll finish off the new lighting.
Old 07-09-2008, 01:12 PM   #50
OMT
MVP

OMT's Arena

OVR: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by icicle22
Regarding my post about progression of light in games in NCAA 08: I was simply asking if it is confirmed that this has been "removed" from 09 for sure. I am not an EA ***** by any means but this would really play right into the theory that they remove features only to add them back later as a "cool" new thing. Since NCAA 08 was a next gen title and NCAA 09 is a next gen title, what excuse can they have for taking this out? When they moved from xbox/PS2 to XBOX360/PS3 they claimed they had to recode the entire thing and had to omit features to accomplish this. But progressive lighting was in 2008, why remove it?

Sorry if it get's everyone riled up but I really like the immersion of playing an afternoon game and seeing the lighting change. In a way, as the lights come on it really helps identify that the "3 hour grid-iron bash" is winding down. You are either running out of time or just need to hold out a little longer.......

I know it doesn't add to the gameplay directly but it really helped sell the illusion that you are playing a real sport that takes place in a real environment over an extended period of time.

Peace.
No, it wasn't removed so we could put it back in and sell it. That's just silly.

The lighting on 09 is completely different from 08. The progressive lighting didn't "drop right in." Nothing does in video games. It was too large a task and too risky to get working with the new lighting system.
Old 07-09-2008, 01:21 PM   #51
Rookie

4solo's Arena

OVR: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidice
except mascot games take up 0 space and took basically 0 time to complete. so i fail to see how it would help if it gets taken off.
Come on u guys think here. I understand what u guys are saying but if it on the game it has to take up some space, it's impossible to have something on a game and not take up space. If that's the case they should use the "no space" format for every feature on the game. I don't know how many mascot teams there but i guessing at least 60, that u have different mascot player models for and they also even have ratings, though they are all 99. Now u can't tell me that doesn't take up space. Now if it doesn't take up space tell me what u would rather have 60 Mascot teams or 60 real FCS teams!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-09-2008, 01:25 PM   #52
Guns Up!

Solidice's Arena

OVR: 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4solo
Come on u guys think here. I understand what u guys are saying but if it on the game it has to take up some space, it's impossible to have something on a game and not take up space. If that's the case they should use the "no space" format for every feature on the game. I don't know how many mascot teams there but i guessing at least 60, that u have different mascot player models for and they also even have ratings, though they are all 99. Now u can't tell me that doesn't take up space. Now if it doesn't take up space tell me what u would rather have 60 Mascot teams or 60 real FCS teams!
maybe its because the mascots are already in the game, on the sidelines. maybe saying "0" was a little extreme, but the space needed is not a lot. all that was done(from what i got from Adam) was a code to change the "normal" player model of a football player to the mascot of a given team. then they create a UI for team select and added it to the menu. i believe Adam said it was only worked on for 1 day.

FCS teams would take up a lot more time, space, and budget than mascot mode.

Current Main Rotation: Destiny 2 (XB,PC), Division 2(XB) Baldur Gate 3(XB 4p Co-op run) HellDivers 2 (PC)
Games on the list to play: Too many to fit here
Old 07-09-2008, 01:25 PM   #53
Rookie

nstod's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4solo
The player models are already in the game (remember, they are MASCOTS). Sure, it takes some space (for the menu item, etc), but you're talking very, very, very little space.
Old 07-09-2008, 01:29 PM   #54
MVP

icicle22's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMT
No, it wasn't removed so we could put it back in and sell it. That's just silly.

The lighting on 09 is completely different from 08. The progressive lighting didn't "drop right in." Nothing does in video games. It was too large a task and too risky to get working with the new lighting system.
thanks. That is exactly the kind of answer I was looking for. For what it is worth, I was not aware that there was a whole new lighting system in place and that makes sense.

Also I was not personally stating that you took it out to add it back later and advertise it as new. It has been stated through the years that EA is famous for doing this. A feature that has been part of a series for 2-3 years mysteriously disappears for a year or two with no explanation. Then magically it is back and touted as a "new" feature. That is what many feel happens, and I was stating that removing the progression of day to night would only add to those that buy into that theory.

Sorry if it even remotely came out in a bad way. I just couldn't understand why that would have been removed. But alas I have been enlightened.

Thanks.
Old 07-09-2008, 01:42 PM   #55
Rookie

4solo's Arena

OVR: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidice
maybe its because the mascots are already in the game, on the sidelines. maybe saying "0" was a little extreme, but the space needed is not a lot. all that was done(from what i got from Adam) was a code to change the "normal" player model of a football player to the mascot of a given team. then they create a UI for team select and added it to the menu. i believe Adam said it was only worked on for 1 day.

FCS teams would take up a lot more time, space, and budget than mascot mode.
Yea i guess u guys are right. But u could argue that player models for FCS teams are in the game to b/c u would have to use the same models as FBS teams. But i understand it would take more time to research rosters and have correct uniform colors and logos. Well EA hire me I will be the head of that dept. LOL!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-09-2008, 01:49 PM   #56
Rookie

Tig5309's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by icicle22
thanks. That is exactly the kind of answer I was looking for. For what it is worth, I was not aware that there was a whole new lighting system in place and that makes sense.

Also I was not personally stating that you took it out to add it back later and advertise it as new. It has been stated through the years that EA is famous for doing this. A feature that has been part of a series for 2-3 years mysteriously disappears for a year or two with no explanation. Then magically it is back and touted as a "new" feature. That is what many feel happens, and I was stating that removing the progression of day to night would only add to those that buy into that theory.

Sorry if it even remotely came out in a bad way. I just couldn't understand why that would have been removed. But alas I have been enlightened.

Thanks.
IMO this is the kind of thing that should have been implemented on a 2 year cycle when it was as functional as the feature it is replacing, but what can you do?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »