Home

EA Conference Call With Sean Bailey, Lead Designer - Gamplay

This is a discussion on EA Conference Call With Sean Bailey, Lead Designer - Gamplay within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-09-2008, 11:37 PM   #57
MVP

OVR: 12
Re: EA Conference Call With Sean Bailey, Lead Designer - Gamplay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undefeated
I'm with ya, Boot.

It's not like you ever said the game shouldn't have adaptive AI, just that the fact that it doesn't shouldn't equate to being a game-killer. I completely agree.

Although I think this thread, and the other AI thread, shows that adaptive AI should in fact be the #1 priority for 2010.
You're on the same page as me. Could not agree more in regards to 2010.
Old 07-10-2008, 08:28 AM   #58
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwb0581

Down and distance tendencies are ok. What's not ok is being able to run, for example, I-formation, 2-tight end play action to the lone WR running a streak all day long without the CPU adjusting. I know there is a slight chance they will luck into the right defense to stop the play about 1/10 times. But if it works 9/10, or even 5/10, it's totally unrealistic because there are no adjustments.

very well put.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 07-10-2008, 08:38 AM   #59
All Star

callmetaternuts's Arena

OVR: 41

Im a little ticked that adaptive AI (to any degree) isnt in, but alot of these things havent changed fromt he last few years. We did without them in the past, we can do without them now, but lets make our push as a community to get them in next year.

You too can be a 5* recruit at FSU.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwelveozPlaya21
add worthless Xavier Lee to that list..
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNole
CFL here he comes. Pfft, wait that would require learning a playbook. McDonalds here he comes.
Old 07-10-2008, 08:56 AM   #60
Pro

Dbrentonbuck's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwb0581
I coach football for a living and this is how it works. You watch film of your upcoming opponent and chart what they do out of each formation. Say you're playing a team that ran I-twins right on 25 occasions on the film you have. 23 of those 25 they ran a power running play to the left. The other 2 times they ran a power running play to the right. You do this for every formation. You then gameplan and implement the plan during the week at practice. If they come out in I-twins right we will run a 46 look with our safety hammering down. We will mix it up slightly but anything we call will be a run-oriented defense, with some wiggle room for down-and-distance. We will tell our defensive players to watch run to the left out of this formation.

We will watch what they do in the game. At halftime we will adjust what we're doing vs. I-twins right if the 1st half has indicated that we need to.

As an offense, sometimes we will purposely show the same play over and over out of a certain formation, setting up the defense for a play when we need it. We will show a tendency and then break it in a high-leverage situation.

If the CPU in NCAA could tally what plays are run out of which formations during the season, and adjust even on some basic level, the gameplay would be revolutionary.
I don't see how this would be that difficult. It would be tied to your profile. The game already keeps track of a lot of stuff you do in order to give you user stats. Why can't the AI then benefit from that tracking and know that I like to run up the middle more than to the outside and that I like to pass on crossing and post routes more than streaks and outs. The AI should know that I probably have a close to 55/45 Pass to run ratio and so should play a balanced defense concentrating on the middle of the field for both run and pass. Didn't 2k do something like this when they implemented the player profile thing where it would learn how people played and you could then play against the AI version of their style?
Old 07-10-2008, 11:07 AM   #61
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

I could have sworn they said last year's game learned what we did after a quarter or so. Maybe that was 2K's football game. The VIP profile idea was a good one. I'm not a cheeser so I won't call a play over and over again anyways. Football games have always had money plays and issues with certain things and I try to play legit against the cpu. We shouldn't have to excercise restraint when trying to beat the cpu but we have to. Not the end of the world.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-10-2008, 11:31 AM   #62
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
I could have sworn they said last year's game learned what we did after a quarter or so. Maybe that was 2K's football game. The VIP profile idea was a good one. I'm not a cheeser so I won't call a play over and over again anyways. Football games have always had money plays and issues with certain things and I try to play legit against the cpu. We shouldn't have to excercise restraint when trying to beat the cpu but we have to. Not the end of the world.
Problem with that is that football is all about lining up and seeing who the better team is. If I'm popping 8 yards a carry running it up the gut, any coach in America is going to keep doing it until they are stopped. The defense should be forced to put 8 men in the box to try and stuff the run which should open up the passing game. If the AI isn't going to recognize when the human is having success and try to negate it, then it really takes all the strategy out of the game.
Old 07-14-2008, 07:48 PM   #63
MVP

OVR: 52

I talked with Sean today and I wanted to clarify a couple of things that we feel were either lost in translation or just possibly mis-quoted:

#1: There IS learning AI in NCAA (and Madden). It may not be the most robust system in the world, but there are both offensive and defensive "learning" modules based on play tracking. Thousands of people call it "comeback code", but in reality the AI tries to learn your tendencies and change up it's play calling and shifts/audibles due to it. The issue is that it's not specific enough to pick up on money plays or routes or tendencies...but it does definitely react to you.

#2: The CPU defense does WAY more than just checking down and distance. In the conference call Sean never said anything of the sort...I think this was misquoted here. They don't know your play but they do know your formation and personnel to call their defensive play.

#3: The CPU offensive playcalling doesn't really change much based on personnel, but again they do mix up their play calling based on what's working during the game...so this can fix itself a little bit as the game progresses.

So I guess I just want to say (on behalf of Bailey as well), we agree with all of you that our AI could be improved. But it's not like we have nothing here. Just keep posting issues you may be experiencing personally, and we'll try to get them fixed in the future.
Old 07-14-2008, 09:12 PM   #64
Rookie

OVR: 2

Well that sounds a little better, because the original quotes made EA look pretty bad.

However I agree with some of the other posters, when I am running the same play up the middle down the field we need to see the defence stack the box.

Also one thing id love to see is play action auctally based on how well you are running the ball. If its the 4th Q and I have 40 yards rushing I dont want the defence reacting to a PA pass the same way if I had 400 yards rushing in the game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »