Home

Here's How To Fix the Return Game "Problem"

This is a discussion on Here's How To Fix the Return Game "Problem" within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-15-2008, 03:40 AM   #9
Probably Insane

Village Idiot's Arena

OVR: 30
Re: Here's How To Fix the Return Game "Problem"

Quote:
Originally Posted by erivera7
Well, first, the best football game ever made was NFL 2K5. Let's just establish that, hah.

Second, a more practical way of having realistic stat output for punt/kick returns is to simply super-sim them. It's lame, I know, but it's the best option if you want a realistic stat output for punt/kick return yard averages. It's disappointing that ultimately that is the course of action to take for a broken aspect of the game.
I have no idea what you're talking about either. How is doing what I said "unpractical?"
Old 07-15-2008, 03:44 AM   #10
Banned

ColumbusKilled's Arena

OVR: 13

It's impractical because we should just be able to wait for the ball to be kicked to as a a return man and go, with an accurate blocking mechanism ahead of us, so that we don't have to do things to circumvent it (Which is cheating, it's not cheating in your FAVOR, but it's doing something that the game didn't intend for you to do).

I don't think it's a huge deal, because it goes both ways, it's impossible to get to the return man on the defensive side as well.

I guess we are going to have to get used to returning kicks to the 40, which is a shame because it makes it harder to play defense.
Old 07-15-2008, 03:51 AM   #11
Pro

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undefeated
I have no idea what you're talking about either. How is doing what I said "unpractical?"
Where in my post did I say your method was unpractical? I said a MORE practical way of dealing with the broken kick/punt return game is to simply super-sim to get a realistic result. I can't get any clearer than that for you. It's quick and easy. A hassle, sure, but quick an easy.

For fun, here's a reference by a well-respected Bill Abner supporting super-simming kick/punt returns.

http://nutweasel.blogspot.com/2008/0...mes-later.html

Your way of doing it is YOUR WAY, I never said it was wrong or right.

Last edited by erivera7; 07-15-2008 at 03:57 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-15-2008, 03:57 AM   #12
Rookie

BirmBuckeye's Arena

OVR: 2

The obvious intent of the OP was that if you're finding it too easy to return punts or whatever, you can make simple adjustments to your gameplay to limit those deficiencies.

I don't have many problems with the CPU's passing percentage over the middle, because I defend it myself by using the MLB, which seems to allow my defensive line an opportunity to get pressure on the QB, thus effectively neutralizing the "pass rush flaw".

Why is everyone so quick to bash people around here? Tensions are a little too high...
Old 07-15-2008, 04:01 AM   #13
Probably Insane

Village Idiot's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColumbusKilled
It's impractical because we should just be able to wait for the ball to be kicked to as a a return man and go ...
Do you want to fix the return game or not? I don't see what's hard to understand.

Quote:
with an accurate blocking mechanism ahead of us, so that we don't have to do things to circumvent it (Which is cheating, it's not cheating in your FAVOR, but it's doing something that the game didn't intend for you to do).
The game lets you play with any player on the field. Listen to yourself: you're arguing the game doesn't "intend" for us to try and block the punt and get back upfield? That makes no sense at all. If anything, this is exactly what you SHOULD be doing. You'd rather just stand there?

Quote:
..it's impossible to get to the return man on the defensive side as well.
No, it isn't.

Quote:
I guess we are going to have to get used to returning kicks to the 40, which is a shame because it makes it harder to play defense.
I haven't allowed a kick return over 30 yards in three games. I'm still not quite able to stick them behind the 20, but I've had MANY kickoffs where I've held them inside the 25.

I'm telling you right now, there is nothing wrong with special teams outside of that you can't be the return man before he catches the ball. The glitch, if anything, is that the CPU isn't getting downfield if you stand there and do nothing, when it should be the opposite. But I'm telling you, if you don't just stand there - i.e., if you do what I said in the OP - they DO get downfield.

I'm done campaigning. If you don't try it you'll never see what I'm talking about, and that's fine with me.

Last edited by Village Idiot; 07-15-2008 at 04:12 AM.
Old 07-15-2008, 04:12 AM   #14
MVP

stoncold32's Arena

OVR: 17

nevermind.
Old 07-15-2008, 04:15 AM   #15
Probably Insane

Village Idiot's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoncold32
the issue is that we shouldnt have to plot and scheme a way to trick the game b/c the return game is too easy on both ends
I'm on the verge of abandoning this thread. I just finished saying, the glitch is that the defenders don't get downfield when you select the return man before the play. I'm trying to explain that if you avoid this - the glitch - you'll be fine. I'm not "plotting and scheming," I'm telling you what the problem is and how to avoid it. If you don't want to avoid the problem, be my guest. Keep doing what you're doing.

As for the CPU's return game, I also just finished posting that I'm not having any trouble stopping either punt returns or kickoff returns. Just don't switch guys and don't play out of position.

Again, if you don't try it, you'll never see what I'm talking about.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-15-2008, 04:16 AM   #16
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38

So the only solutions that fix this part of the game involve not playing the game at all?

Yeah, that sounds exactly like what I'd expect from the greatest game ever.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »