Home

After 2 days, I have discovered the reason for the high CPU pass % (must read)

This is a discussion on After 2 days, I have discovered the reason for the high CPU pass % (must read) within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-15-2008, 05:38 AM   #1
MVP

stoncold32's Arena

OVR: 17
After 2 days, I have discovered the reason for the high CPU pass % (must read)

Alright, I'm making this post, then I'm going to sleep...lol

The issue of the receivers, TE's, running backs being open over the middle seemingly everytime is....(drum roll)....YOUR linebackers! Yes, your linebackers. The human controlled linebackers LOSE all their speed after the snap. Don't believe me?

TRY THIS:

When on defense, you come out of the huddle, select one of your LB's. Now, before the offense snaps the ball, move him around from side to side ...notice how fast he moves from side to side and how fluid his momentum shifts back and forth. Now, AFTER the CPU snaps the ball, try the same thing. Try to move him around exactly like you just were, and you'll see that all that speed & fluidity you just had is now gone. It's like his speed rating dropped by like 10-15 attribute points, and his movements aren't quite as responsive to your controls as pre-snap.

This is why is it hard to defend the over the middle pass or short passes. There's no reason for a TE to be blowing by your outside LBs like that. Yes, the LB's do drop back a little too far at times in the yellow zones, BUT if they weren't so slow after the snap, you could make up for it. I haven't noticed this to be an issue for the CPU linebackers though, and they are usually able to keep up with my players.

I've also noticed this with the defensive lineman as well. It's a bit more subtle though, because they aren't as fast to begin with. But try it too, take your def. linemen back to where your linebacker would be and move him around from side to side, and notice how fast he moves, only to slow down after the ball is snapped. Theres very little chance (speed wise) at blowing by an offensive linemen on an outside pass rush.

I was using LSU by the way, and this was something I never noticed occuring in the demo. If this can be fixed in the patch, I think it would really improve the game.

Last edited by stoncold32; 07-15-2008 at 05:42 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-15-2008, 06:25 AM   #2
vs. the World

frankplastictrees's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: After 2 days, I have discovered the reason for the high CPU pass % (must read)

I'm sure that does factor some, but the QB being able to sit in the pocket for 7 or 8 seconds helps too.
Old 07-15-2008, 11:30 AM   #3
MVP

stoncold32's Arena

Re: After 2 days, I have discovered the reason for the high CPU pass % (must read)

C'mon guys, I know I'm not the only one who notices this!!! Try it! The defensive control response is very much lacking in comparison to the offensive controls.

Joshin: The QB sits in the pocket for so long b/c as I said, it seems like after the snap the LB, DL lose alot of their speed after the snap. This makes it near impossible for blitzes or even a reguar pas rush to be effective.

This needs to be fixed.

Last edited by stoncold32; 07-15-2008 at 11:32 AM.
Old 07-15-2008, 11:53 AM   #4
Rookie

prototype561's Arena

OVR: 4

yeah i have seen this too, i got the game early monday morning, so i have played about 15 games, i thought i was trippin at first, but i did notice that linebackers and dlinemen lose their speed after the snap, i really notice when i was playing as OLB and the cpu did a toss pay, and my OLB has a spd rating of 87, and the running back had a 85 spd rating. The rb just dust my lb around the corner and i had the angle on him. Its like the front 7 just move in slow motion after the snap, thats part of the reason why there is no pressure on the QB. Im playin on heisman. Almost all of my sacks have been coverage sacks where there is just no one open so the cpu doesnt throw the ball, but those are take to long around 4 to 6 secs. The other is when the cpu tries a screen pass. But this doesnt affect the cpu though as i have notice cpu dlinemen run down backs and recievers and even fast QBs to the corner. Kinda weird, if they would just fix that, and the roster issue this could be one of the best football games of all time.
Old 07-15-2008, 12:00 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 21

I noticed this also. I would have to take control of guys and speed burst to get them to move faster and even then they seem to move a bit too slow.
You may be right that this may be the reason for the slow pass rush.

More experimenting to do when I get home.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-15-2008, 12:02 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

Phobia's Arena

OVR: 63

nice find
Old 07-15-2008, 12:05 PM   #7
MVP

stoncold32's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototype561
yeah i have seen this too, i got the game early monday morning, so i have played about 15 games, i thought i was trippin at first, but i did notice that linebackers and dlinemen lose their speed after the snap, i really notice when i was playing as OLB and the cpu did a toss pay, and my OLB has a spd rating of 87, and the running back had a 85 spd rating. The rb just dust my lb around the corner and i had the angle on him. Its like the front 7 just move in slow motion after the snap, thats part of the reason why there is no pressure on the QB. Im playin on heisman. Almost all of my sacks have been coverage sacks where there is just no one open so the cpu doesnt throw the ball, but those are take to long around 4 to 6 secs. The other is when the cpu tries a screen pass. But this doesnt affect the cpu though as i have notice cpu dlinemen run down backs and recievers and even fast QBs to the corner. Kinda weird, if they would just fix that, and the roster issue this could be one of the best football games of all time.
Thankyou!!! I noticed this at about 3am this morning, but now I know it wasn't just the sleep talking...

And the sacks I'm getting are usually when the CPU QB tries to up in the pocket, and basically run towards by defender.

I think more people will admit/comment on this after their honeymoon comes down a bit.
Old 07-15-2008, 12:54 PM   #8
BOOM!

AuburnAlumni's Arena

OVR: 43

It's a combo of the following.

1. "Lazy" blitzing and defensive movement (i.e what you are describing with the LBs and DLs)

2. Too many instances of O linemen knocking down half of the D line, be it by chop blocking them, pancaking them, or simply stone walling them in the "rodeo" tussle. This of course kills any notion of a consistent 4 man rush or pocket collapse with half of your line laying on the ground within a second of the snap.

3. Hyper Smart QBs who find the open man everytime and who get rid of the ball very quickly.

4. Reduced aggressiveness by the DBs, LBs, and Safeties in pass coverage and inability to stay with WRs for any real length of time.

Take all 4 and that is why the QBs seem unstoppable and defense seems "hit or miss".

Yes the game is very FUN. But these issues, in my opinion....do exist.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »