Home

An actual POLL!!! Your grade

This is a discussion on An actual POLL!!! Your grade within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Grade NCAA 2009
10- Almost Perfect 8 2.75%
9- Outstanding 37 12.71%
8- Good 110 37.80%
7- Above Average 37 12.71%
6- Average 40 13.75%
5- Below Average 23 7.90%
4- Poor 13 4.47%
3- Awful 6 2.06%
2- Feels like a Beta release 14 4.81%
1- Should have been cancelled 3 1.03%
Voters: 291. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-20-2008, 12:38 PM   #41
MVP

therizing02's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: An actual POLL!!! Your grade

Great post LB. Hopefully for next year we'll get some of the producers and developers to come into the forum ala Madden this year and make changes on the fly.

The things that you've mentioned regarding zone play is BASIC football knowledge. I honestly don't think anyone at EA has that.

I'm sure someone is sitting somewhere thinking "it's just a video game! Get a life". Guess what it's a $60 video game and I do have a life! I make a pretty good living and the $60 isn't problem every year. However, it does become a problem when year after year since the 2004 this game has at least one MAJOR bug. EVERY...SINGLE..YEAR! We all know what they are. I'm almost to the point where I think some people at EA just don't give a ****. Bottom line is that the "it's just a video game" is a lazy a** cop out excuse for the BS programming these guys get away with.

I'm like many others in that I don't play a lot of games and NCAA is the one that I look forward to EVERY year. To be disappointed like this every single year is getting tiring. So, guess what, I'm going to have something to say about it. If I have to say it 50 times so that these "developers" start to get it than so be it. Problem is that 5 straight editions of this game have had major problems. 09 just happens to have more issues than the previous 4 versions.

Game is average at best.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-20-2008, 12:51 PM   #42
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

I guess the issue for me is that it doesn't even have to be completely realistic, but there should be commensurability and balance on both sides of the ball. Sometimes being more fundamental and realistic in certain areas creates that.

Secondly, to me there is an internal contradiction between the overall premise of the game this year (generalized wide open gameplay) and the basic ratings system they have in place. The overall premise nullifies the ratings system for defense and makes those ratings completely arbitrary with no meaning and significance.
Old 07-20-2008, 12:55 PM   #43
Gatekeeper

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

I gave it an 8. I think it's a lot of fun to play. I've had a blast with Online Dynasty and Campus Legend. I love the EA SportsWorld stuff, and did I mention I think it's a lot of fun?

Perfect football simulation? No. But, there is a lot of potential there imo, and I certainly have enjoyed myself playing the game.
Old 07-20-2008, 05:40 PM   #44
MVP

OVR: 15

In reading LBs post I do see where some of his complaintts are coming from. However I have to disagree with most of the people complaining as a whole.

I think the real flaws of the game gameplay wise come down to several issues.

1- There arent enough QB ratings. This is the reason why QB play is so iffy. If there were ratings for deep/shallow passing, or pass timing, pocket presence, etc. Then the QBs on offense and defense would not be so effecient in every way without turning the non working sliders up and down.

Fixing pocket presence would help becuase what I see is EVERY qb manuevering excellently in the pocket, especially on blitzes which is a major issue with fixing pass rushing. QBs get the ball out too quickly and it hurts the realism.

2- Coverage AI needs work. specifically on short cross type routs and definately on hook routes. I am soo tired watching DBs stand idely directly behind recievers as they catch a pass for a first down. Coverage in my opinion has greatly improved. I definately see the difference between a 92 corner and a 72 corner. Some of the coverage logic is not perfectly done, but I see that as an element of realism, especially in college football where coverage logic is always second to athleticism anyway. It is frustrating that players dont bump shallow recievers like they did in madden last year (did they do this in NCAA last year?) This would also fix alot of the passing acuracry issues/pass rush issues.

Other than that to me the gameplay is excellent. I havent had a suction block happen to me yet. And I cant see any real issues with pursuit angles.

I think that a big issue is that the game is actually very realistic and people dont really know what to do with it. Its like madden a few years ago when the passing cone was introduced and too many people couldnt figure it out and claimed that it was flawed. They made their ratings work which is why 90 ovr DEs with low block shedding ability are not getting to the passer, and linebackers with poor coverage skills are getting eaten over the middle. If you play with a non top 25 team then you players will get eaten up by other players. If you are a top 10 team then you should beat other non 25 teams by 30-40 points. This is college football. There should be huge broken runs because of bad pursuit angles, there should be allot of dink and dunk 34-40 passing games, and some QBs should throw 4-5 picks in a game. This is what it is supposed to do.

Graphically I think its definately a step in the right direction but I dont see the "clunkyness" that others are complaing about. Some of the animations arent the most smoove, but Its still the best its ever been.

The only issues i have with the game is a lack of features outside of gameplay. Specifically create a playbook and create a team options. Along with the absence of certain types of plays in some playbooks (where are the wingback sweeps in the flexbone offenses, where is the maryland I, why are there not slot WR screens?).

And of course the slider and other glitches. But to me this is the best improvement any football game has ever had in one year. if Madden plays this clean with an improved franchise mode I might quit my job!

Last edited by feeq14; 07-20-2008 at 05:50 PM.
Old 07-20-2008, 06:29 PM   #45
MVP

OVR: 15

I'm one of the 2/3rds that gave the game an above average or higher rating. It's amazing how so many of us can be so wrong.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-21-2008, 02:38 PM   #46
Banned

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alliball
I'm one of the 2/3rds that gave the game an above average or higher rating. It's amazing how so many of us can be so wrong.
I think the big thing is improved player control.
Everyone wanted it so bad, they're overlooking the 6,000 flaws in the game.
Anyone who rates this game over 6/10 pre-patch needs an intervention.
Old 07-21-2008, 02:43 PM   #47

Marino's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave374
I think the big thing is improved player control.
Everyone wanted it so bad, they're overlooking the 6,000 flaws in the game.
Anyone who rates this game over 6/10 pre-patch needs an intervention.
i rated it a 9 i dont know why i need an intervention...can you please explain.
Old 07-21-2008, 02:47 PM   #48
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Sign me up for intervention.

I'm part of the close to 40% that voted it an 8.

It does have flaws that need fixing, no doubt, but like BK and others, I'm having fun.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »