Home

The Blitz and Dline play

This is a discussion on The Blitz and Dline play within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-17-2008, 08:14 AM   #9
Rookie

MiamiWarrior's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: The Blitz and Dline play

So you're asking that if a team doesn't get a lot of sacks should they be able to use blitzes?
Old 07-17-2008, 08:18 AM   #10
Redskins Pride

OVR: 6

My VA Tech got pwned last night by someone (Florida St) sending an all out blitz from the quarter. I literally had NO TIME to drop back before i got sacked. He also kept several dudes back somehow so it was definitely tough to complete a pass. i wish i had a replay b/c it was the same play over and over. Just like on offense. PA and then either the RB or the TE crossing over the middle with my LB trailing like a chump the whole way.

Couldn't figure that one out either.
Old 07-17-2008, 08:25 AM   #11
MVP

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiWarrior
So you're asking that if a team doesn't get a lot of sacks should they be able to use blitzes?
LOL, nah man, LOL.

Let me explain my thinking, then you will understand better.

AP2K8 has a sack master ability and one other blitz type ability I cant remember at the moment that determines how well/fast a player can get to the QB. The player can only have these abilities if they are noted for being that way in real life.

It makes the game very strategic in how you have to run your defense in regards to applying pressure. It made the offense have to consider how to deal with those type players.

So in a madden type game you could send the house with the silver hill boys club and they could apply pressure like they were all Lawrence Taylor.
In Ap2k8 that same club would only be affective with that type of blitz if the offense did not adjust properly and keep players in to pass protect.
Only those players with those special sack abilities could get to the qb extra fast and shed blocks quickly...cause thats what they did in real life.

So I am wondering would people prefer a game where any LB/DB/DL can get to the QB lickity split fast no matter what even though his real life counter part is not that type of player, or would they want the Ap2K8 approach to this.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-17-2008, 08:31 AM   #12
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SizzleLikeAStizzle
My VA Tech got pwned last night by someone (Florida St) sending an all out blitz from the quarter. I literally had NO TIME to drop back before i got sacked. He also kept several dudes back somehow so it was definitely tough to complete a pass. i wish i had a replay b/c it was the same play over and over. Just like on offense. PA and then either the RB or the TE crossing over the middle with my LB trailing like a chump the whole way.

Couldn't figure that one out either.
This is something I was thinking about last night when I was going threw my nightly wake up at 2am for no reason routine. There has got to be a way in this game to consistently get pressure but damn whats the trick to it. I have seen times where my men will bring heat but its SO inconsistent.

Its funny how some of these guys online find the wrinkles in the game and you are going damn how did they do that, LOL.
Old 07-17-2008, 08:37 AM   #13
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by TombSong
Could every answer this and explain the answer.

If a team in real life has no notable LB/DLine sack leaders and is not known for getting alot of sacks should you be able to send nasty blitzes with that team in these video games ?
In one sense I would say no. But in another sense I would say yes, but only because I'm not running what those teams run in real life, I'm running what I'm trying to create.

I think there are real life examples that support either way you look at it. There are teams that have really talented guys and they blitz alot and are successful doing so. But when I look at one of the most feared blitzing teams in the history of the game, Jerry Glandville's Falcon's and the Gritz Blitz, they were a team of nobody's, the "silver hill" boys as you call them. It should really depend on what I, the user want to do and what I can do to get those guys to "fit" my scheme. I will be limited in some ways, but not in every way.
Old 07-17-2008, 09:38 AM   #14
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBzrule
In one sense I would say no. But in another sense I would say yes, but only because I'm not running what those teams run in real life, I'm running what I'm trying to create.

I think there are real life examples that support either way you look at it. There are teams that have really talented guys and they blitz alot and are successful doing so. But when I look at one of the most feared blitzing teams in the history of the game, Jerry Glandville's Falcon's and the Gritz Blitz, they were a team of nobody's, the "silver hill" boys as you call them. It should really depend on what I, the user want to do and what I can do to get those guys to "fit" my scheme. I will be limited in some ways, but not in every way.

Understood. NOW...

That year falcon team you speak of. That year those players that got alot of sacks should get those sack master ratings in that years game using the AP2k8 approach to things.

Now if we take the approach lets allow the users to setup any kinda scheme they choose how would the player ratings fit into all this and make the game balanced ? I advocate what you are saying as far as allow the person to run what he wants to run but aint it personnel that dictates to a degree what a Defensive coordinator can run ? I can want to run a 4 LB scheme that puts on heavy pressure but if I dont have the talent on my team that can do that is it reasonable to still let a user run that kind of defense ?

I am also not advocating you cant get reasonable pressure from guys not noted to be sack masters, but I think the game should limit a team from being able to blitz anyone and be very effective with it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »