Home

Alright, here's my final rant on this series...hope you like it.

This is a discussion on Alright, here's my final rant on this series...hope you like it. within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-17-2008, 11:12 PM   #1
MVP

stoncold32's Arena

OVR: 17
Alright, here's my final rant on this series...hope you like it.

I think the main issue is this: "We have seen the mountaintop" with this series so to speak. We have seen in years past how GREAT this game can be.

Let's be totally honest. This game, today, was built off the reputation that still lives on from 02, 03, 04. Had those games sucked, this series would be nowhere near as popular as it is. This series in it's early PS2 days was built on gameplay 1st, presentation 2nd, and everything else 3rd. And while we're being honest, this game has not since been the same as it once was 4-5 years ago. For a little while, everyone knew this was the IT game. In terms of gameplay and fun factor, atmosphere, commentary, etc this series had Madden whipped. Of course Madden won in sales, but the vast majority of people definitely perferred NCAA to Madden.

NOW, here's what I don't understand. We all know EA does cater to the casual fan somewhat, and that's understandable.....but if the casual fan liked the way the game used to be enough to make it as immensely popular as it was & is, WHY change it up?

It's obvious people really liked it the way it was(look at the $$$), why change it? When you start completely overhauling the aspects of the game that made it the top of it's class, nothing good can come out of that. Mess with the jerseys, mess with stadiums, mess with commentary, but leave the meat & potatoes(gameplay) alone. Let all the aforementioned stuff compliment the main part of the game.

In my eyes, gameplay should be an ABSOLUTE given...no two-ways about that. When talking about this game, I should be able to say to friends, "Man, this game has EVERYTHING. It's got all the real jersey's, real stadiums, they even have a 3 man commentary, dynasties, everything!" After seeing what this series can do, I should never have to mention, "Well the gameplay used to be good, but they changed it, so now we can't get any pressure on the QB with a blitz, we don't really have much realistic control on defense."

Just my rant o' the night....

Last edited by stoncold32; 07-17-2008 at 11:14 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-17-2008, 11:24 PM   #2
MVP

bad_philanthropy's Arena

OVR: 24
Re: Alright, here's my final rant on this series...hope you like it.

There have been a lot of improvements to the series since '04 but overall since then the series has been an example of inconsistency, frequently taking steps forwards in some areas and steps backwards in others. The 2002 version had its share of gameplay flaws, it didn't have several features from the previous PS1 version, the AI wasn't very good on the whole (but surprisingly balanced in many regards), you could not really break a big play in the pass game on anything other than a deep pass, the running game was pretty one-dimensional, and the out routes were money. However, that said, across the board it was a huge step up over its predecessor.

I will say this too, one things that 2002 did amazingly well was represent the disparity between cupcakes and a powerhouse, unlike what you see this year. I remember doing a Utah State dynasty in 2002 and having my o-line just get blown up play after play.
Old 07-17-2008, 11:31 PM   #3
B**m*r S**n*r!

BigDofBA's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad_philanthropy
I remember doing a Utah State dynasty in 2002 and having my o-line just get blown up play after play.
I would love to see that today!
NFL - Dallas Cowboys
NBA - Oklahoma City Thunder
Old 07-17-2008, 11:39 PM   #4
MVP

stoncold32's Arena

I agree, but while this series was popular on PS1, it didn't hit the stratosphere until it came to PS2.

And while 2002 may have been little too easy at time, by the time '03 rolled around it was a dramatic improvement in gameplay, then to '04. We seemed to be on a progressive pattern....

Here's the thing though, those games didn't have glaring issues that took away from the fun factor. There may have been little things here and there, but nothing that made you not want to play them.
Old 07-17-2008, 11:52 PM   #5
MVP

DrUrsus's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoncold32
I think the main issue is this: "We have seen the mountaintop" with this series so to speak. We have seen in years past how GREAT this game can be.

Let's be totally honest. This game, today, was built off the reputation that still lives on from 02, 03, 04. Had those games sucked, this series would be nowhere near as popular as it is. This series in it's early PS2 days was built on gameplay 1st, presentation 2nd, and everything else 3rd. And while we're being honest, this game has not since been the same as it once was 4-5 years ago. For a little while, everyone knew this was the IT game. In terms of gameplay and fun factor, atmosphere, commentary, etc this series had Madden whipped. Of course Madden won in sales, but the vast majority of people definitely perferred NCAA to Madden.

NOW, here's what I don't understand. We all know EA does cater to the casual fan somewhat, and that's understandable.....but if the casual fan liked the way the game used to be enough to make it as immensely popular as it was & is, WHY change it up?

It's obvious people really liked it the way it was(look at the $$$), why change it? When you start completely overhauling the aspects of the game that made it the top of it's class, nothing good can come out of that. Mess with the jerseys, mess with stadiums, mess with commentary, but leave the meat & potatoes(gameplay) alone. Let all the aforementioned stuff compliment the main part of the game.

In my eyes, gameplay should be an ABSOLUTE given...no two-ways about that. When talking about this game, I should be able to say to friends, "Man, this game has EVERYTHING. It's got all the real jersey's, real stadiums, they even have a 3 man commentary, dynasties, everything!" After seeing what this series can do, I should never have to mention, "Well the gameplay used to be good, but they changed it, so now we can't get any pressure on the QB with a blitz, we don't really have much realistic control on defense."

Just my rant o' the night....
Ditto man. Ditto.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-17-2008, 11:53 PM   #6
MVP

DrUrsus's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad_philanthropy
There have been a lot of improvements to the series since '04 but overall since then the series has been an example of inconsistency, frequently taking steps forwards in some areas and steps backwards in others. The 2002 version had its share of gameplay flaws, it didn't have several features from the previous PS1 version, the AI wasn't very good on the whole (but surprisingly balanced in many regards), you could not really break a big play in the pass game on anything other than a deep pass, the running game was pretty one-dimensional, and the out routes were money. However, that said, across the board it was a huge step up over its predecessor.

I will say this too, one things that 2002 did amazingly well was represent the disparity between cupcakes and a powerhouse, unlike what you see this year. I remember doing a Utah State dynasty in 2002 and having my o-line just get blown up play after play.
True.
Old 07-17-2008, 11:55 PM   #7
Just some guy

mrprice33's Arena

OVR: 16

uhhhhhh.....all of those games had problems... in 04, curl routes never worked, and the cpu QB threw dumb INT after dumb INT... I once picked off Temple 14 times in 1 game on Heisman. 02 had terrible defensive AI, the post route was money every time. either way, those games were fun, as is this one.
Old 07-17-2008, 11:58 PM   #8
Go Irish

Rules's Arena

It is simple:

Perfect game = no sales next year. They need you to want their game next year. I mean seriously, why do you think they remove features that gamers have come to love? Who wants to see in game saves disappear? Who wants to see dynamic lighting disappear? Who wants things that gamers have praised disappear such as the accelerated clock? So that you come back next year and buy it again! When it comes to gameplay, fix something, break something else. That way it is always next year that issue will be fixed.

Last edited by Rules; 07-18-2008 at 12:00 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »