Home

Running With Big/Power Backs

This is a discussion on Running With Big/Power Backs within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-18-2008, 06:58 PM   #1
Rookie

Sheik's Arena

OVR: 3
Running With Big/Power Backs

Welp, It's been 3 long years since I last put down money on an NCAA Football game.
It's been a tough time fighting back the urge to do so every mid summer, but it hasn't been heard with the releases.

Now, I have this new copy, and after a few games I was ready to throw it away in frustration, then the inner gamer in me said. "Holmes, you haven't played this game in over 3 years. The game might have it's problems, but 9 times out of 10, the biggest problem with equipment comes from user error, so get over yourself"

So, right now....I'm trying to figure out if there is any love whatsoever in this game for the power back?

What I mean by that is....I obviously use Tennessee, and while I'm well aware that Arian Foster isn't Ron Dayne in his glory years, he is atleast a competent back who should get 3-4 yards every now and again. The problem is, for the life of me, I can't get him to be productive. I know his top is probably at 100 yards a game, and a good effort for him in the SEC is probably around the 75-80 yards a game average.

Is anybody else having a problem with the power back game?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-18-2008, 07:01 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 5
Re: Running With Big/Power Backs

Last night I used the vols against Penn State against a guy online. I beat him 30-7. I like the Tennessee D, and I actually got a good running game going with their RB. I used the Power O play a lot and used the RB as receiver as well.
Old 07-18-2008, 07:04 PM   #3
Rookie

GoVols1985's Arena

OVR: 8

I also play with Tennessee dude, and I've actually got Arian over 100 yards before. I also use Hardesty alot. The trick is to master the new juke controls and follow your blockers. Don't accelerate to quick after the handoff, follow your blockers, then hit hard and fast through the hole.

P.S. I see you're from Knoxville, what part? I live out west, near West Town Mall.

Last edited by GoVols1985; 07-18-2008 at 07:17 PM.
Old 07-18-2008, 07:10 PM   #4
Rookie

Sheik's Arena

As much as I like to say I'm not from Knoxville, I realize now that I'm a Knoxville citizen formally from the gun toting streets of Memphis. It's a pleasure not to be shot at so often on my way to class, and you're pretty close to me, I'm in walking distance of campus and I'm a senior.

I'm just shocked you got Foster over 100 Yards. I think I may have to throw Hardesty in there from time to time just to mix it up. He definitely had a different feel to him when he did get in, but Foster is way too useful, especialy in the pass game to just ignore his running ability, but

and anyone can answer this..

is the best setting AA or Heisman?

and IS EVERYBODY ONLINE PLAYING AS FLORIDA? GEEZ
Old 07-18-2008, 07:22 PM   #5
Rookie

GoVols1985's Arena

OVR: 8

Yeah, I'm a senior too. I wish I was closer to campus man, I have a class in Ayers this summer. I still don't understand why me, a history major, has to take a math class lol. If I didn't, I wouldn't have to walk my fat *** up The Hill every day.

But anyway, I play on AA, thinking about switching to Heisman now that I have a few games under my belt.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-18-2008, 07:55 PM   #6
Rookie

antdawg9's Arena

I thought it was just me. I use Mississippi State and I cannot establish a ground game with Anthony Dixon. I'm averaging under 3 yds per carry with dixon which is pathetic. The sad thing is, I've always been very good at running the ball, but I cannot run with a big back to save my life. I played a game with Florida State and had a nice game with Smith, but I cannot use a big back.

With that said, when I was messing around on All-American(I play on heisman normally), I was able to have a decent running game with Dixon. Maybe I should play AA more to get a better feel for running with power backs.
Old 07-18-2008, 09:04 PM   #7
Pro

Dbrentonbuck's Arena

OVR: 6

I will echo what is said here. Remember running with a power back is different than running with a speedy back. The most important thing is to follow your fullback. Whatever hole he goes through, 85% of the time you want to go through that hole. As you hit the hole, don't sprint, but push up on the right stick to truck anyone and break tackles at the line, then hit sprint.
Old 07-18-2008, 09:14 PM   #8
MVP

ESPNdeportes's Arena

OVR: 13

I'm also having trouble running with power backs. Its easy with guys like CJ Spiller and Noel Devine.....they're so smooth in the game.

I think part of the problem is there is no "power"' move. Your success with big backs is more dependent on proper play calling, recognizing the opponent D, and most importantly, how your line plays. If I'm met in the backfield with a big back, I'm finding it hard to turn it into anything more than 2-3 yards at most.

PSN: raginrapids

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »