Home

09 has the worst AI in football game history

This is a discussion on 09 has the worst AI in football game history within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 09:41 AM   #1
MVP

OVR: 12
09 has the worst AI in football game history

Like every year, NCAA release is an annual ritual with me. Every year I will read the forums and get as much info as I can, hyping myself for the game and lately I have been disappointed. I decided to not read any impression threads until I got my hands on the game. This way I would go into the game with a clean slate and not be looking out for any issues that could have been posted. Sometimes I dont notice problems, but when I read about them...all of a sudden I begin to notice them more. Not this year though, clean slate for me... What in the hell happened to this game?

Before any rabid fanboy comments come out, I have been playing football titles since the Odyesse II, and have probably played every football title released since then and I am well aware of the progression / regression each title has gone through.

The AI in this game is the worst I have ever seen in a pigskin title. I dont care about the little things that I see people complain about anymore ( IE Refs on field, color of socks, zombie crowd, hand towels, field goal nets, etc, etc.. ) I just want a game that represents football again.

CPU offensive AI

1) Never once has thrown the ball further than 15 yards in an entire season on me. Every pass is over the middle. The only way the computer racks up any passing yards is when they break the first tackle and run it in for 6.

2) 4th down conversions? In many situations, the computer will decide to go for it on 4th down. Only problem is when it does this. Computer and me are tied late in the 4th quarter, computer is facing 4th and 5 on their own 40 with less than a minute to go. They run a fake punt, turnover on downs, and all I have to do is 1 or 2 plays and kick the field goal to win. Even though I won, it felt like the cpu cheated itself.

3) Computer is very predictable. Every play is either a throw over the middle, or an inside run that is bounced to the outside. Usually half of my defensive line is laying on the ground after the hike, so the cpu runs around them and allows my lbs and corners to get them.

CPU Defensive AI

1) There is no AI.

2) WTF is with pursuit angles?? There are numerous times in all of my games where the CPU is in position to make a play, yet they stutter for a second, then turn up field and try to catch you from behind. I have had quite a few plays where the secondary just runs stride for stride with me into the endzone without ever attempting a tackle.

3) Passing routes in the middle are a 100% completion rate. The defense is never able to stop this. Your defensive guy can be in the correct spot to make a play, the cpu tosses the ball...or you toss the ball, and the cpu defender does not react until you catch the ball. The hitch pass is never covered, as the cpu defender stands behind you the whole time and freezes in place until the receiver catches the ball. There is not 1 play that has the running back going into the flats that is defended against either. Regardless of what play you select, or if the CPU is running a RB into the flats, they are never covered.

4) Why are a majority of my defensive line, and CPU line getting flipped over at every snap? Majority of plays the defensive line is laying on the ground after a flip, and by the time they get up, they are out of the play. This adversely affects the entire outcome of the game because neither you or the CPU can get pressure on the QB, and it makes the running lanes big enough a Mack truck can run through them. As soon as your guy makes it past the inital line of scrimmage, there is no stopping you because even the guys that are there in position to make a play take some absurd pursuit angles and allow you to run right by them.

All of these issues into one game?? I can not freaking believe it. 1 or 2 issues would be one thing, but when you pile all of this together into 1 game, it makes it unplayable. I am an all american player that has to bump it up to heisman and notice no difference in AI logic or anything.

This is the best looking football game I have ever played, but at the same time, the worst representation of a sport game that I have ever played.

EA Sports, you should be ashamed of yourselves. It took me less than 2 days to notice huge glaring issues that make this title go from being one of the best football titles I have ever played, to one that I dont really care about playing again.

After I finished my season, I then went back to read other impressions and it seems to be pretty much the same as I have....which means that whatever QA method you use on these titles, needs a complete overhaul. Any time spent on QA would have surely noticed these issues. Each year you release a football game, and somehow every year you manage to turn what could be a great football game, into a lump of coal.

Stop with the damn gimmicks, stop with all the extra nonsense fluff in the titles, and just get the game to represent the sport.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-19-2008, 09:55 AM   #2
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62
Re: 09 has the worst AI in football game history

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjv31
I just counted 6 threads on the first page where you can pour out you displeasure for the game. We cannot keep having threads made about the same general thing over and over. One; it clutters the thread and 2; Its pointless. especially when there are a number of other threads dealing with the same thing. Let this serve as a warning, the next "unneaded/pointless" thread will not only get locked but the op will receive an infraction.

Thank you for your cooperation.

this is the type of threads/posts he was talking about and asking people not to start. Please use the impressions thread or the gameplay issues thread for posts such as these.

Closed

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »