Home

Whats the big deal with next gen??

This is a discussion on Whats the big deal with next gen?? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-22-2008, 04:49 PM   #9
MVP

babyfat9's Arena

OVR: 14
Re: Whats the big deal with next gen??

I love playing football games but I play a whole lot of other games as well. Next Gen is amazing as far as NBA 2K and other titles like Gears of War, Kung Fu Panda etc....so just becuz football is lack luster on Next Gen won't make me not play it. I don't miss my PS2 at all.

Monsters of the Midway
Chicago Bears
Old 07-22-2008, 05:29 PM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer67
"Next Gen" is just a marketing buzzword that doesn't really mean anything.

The 360 and PS3 offer superior speed, graphics and sound...much like upgrading your PC processor or graphics card. That doesn't mean games are automatically better...just that they can support the latest graphics and sound technologies. the 360 and PS3 are capable of High Definition resolutions which, naturally, benefit HDTV owners.

Game engines do need rebuilt on those platforms to take advantage of the new system power. SOmetimes, the yearly cycle of game production doesn't allow for developers to fit all the features in. Take Madden 06, for instance, the first Madden on the 360. The graphics were nice, but it was essentially a demo with no features. The regular Xbox version had so much more. But, as time goes on, they keep adding things to the games and tweaking...
This guy said it best.

I'm the same way, I usually only play football games. Although I do like Call Of Duty 4 and NHL 08 on the 360.

Unfortunately EA is just behind the times here.

And I still somewhat feel that Microsoft and Sony just tried to take advantage the HD burst.
Old 07-22-2008, 05:39 PM   #11
MVP

kt-od's Arena

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by advisory
This guy said it best.

I'm the same way, I usually only play football games. Although I do like Call Of Duty 4 and NHL 08 on the 360.

Unfortunately EA is just behind the times here.

And I still somewhat feel that Microsoft and Sony just tried to take advantage the HD burst.
I agree and disagree with this statement. Agree that EA is lacking in the football area on Next-gen. I haven't bought NCAA 09 and probably won't. Just doesn't have that Next-gen feel by the demo. I will have to wait on Madden 09. I'm not sure if I will buy it either. Will have to be awesome in order for me to purchase it.

Where I disagree is that EA is ahead of 2k in hockey. NHL 08 was phenominal. Best sports game I played in 08, from EA anyway. MLB 08:The Show is awesome as well.

IMO for the football games, EA doesn't need to be concerned with graphics. Most everyone's complaints on here aren't about graphics. We know that Next-gen has good graphics. They should focus on what the community wants. MLB 08 and NHL08 did that with gameplay.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-22-2008, 06:06 PM   #12
Hall Of Fame

DTX3's Arena

OVR: 56

Madden/NCAA aren't the only ones though, you have to put Live in the mix also. I mean how far are we in "next-gen" already? we shouldn't even be calling it "next-gen" anymore and EA still havent put a decent product out there when it comes to football/basketball.
Old 07-22-2008, 06:06 PM   #13
MVP

OVR: 12

Next gen sports gaming (football in general) is horrible. Very few, if any advances in over 5 years.

It's sad because the next gen systems are really coming into their own with some great non-sports game of late. It has the power to be amazing, but the companies are so far behind the times when it comes to sports.
Old 07-22-2008, 07:23 PM   #14
Banned

OVR: 17

Quote:

The 360 and PS3 offer superior speed, graphics and sound...much like upgrading your PC processor or graphics card. That doesn't mean games are automatically better...just that they can support the latest graphics and sound technologies. the 360 and PS3 are capable of High Definition resolutions which, naturally, benefit HDTV owners.

Game engines do need rebuilt on those platforms to take advantage of the new system power. SOmetimes, the yearly cycle of game production doesn't allow for developers to fit all the features in. Take Madden 06, for instance, the first Madden on the 360. The graphics were nice, but it was essentially a demo with no features. The regular Xbox version had so much more. But, as time goes on, they keep adding things to the games and tweaking...
OH. MY. GOD! Somebody out there actually gets it. I didn't think there were any rational and objective gamers left. Now if we could only get more of them to bring that objectivity to the table on these boards more often alot of the agenda-based haters might be stamped out and run off the site in humiliating fashion......which would, in turn, immediately raise the collective IQ of the OS community considerably. Not to mention the added benefit of actually getting quality discussion once in a while instead of navigating a nauseating amount of thread hijackings.
Old 07-22-2008, 07:29 PM   #15
Banned

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTX3
Madden/NCAA aren't the only ones though, you have to put Live in the mix also. I mean how far are we in "next-gen" already? we shouldn't even be calling it "next-gen" anymore and EA still havent put a decent product out there when it comes to football/basketball.
Not only is NCAA 09 a "decent product", it's actually a very good product with the same type of flaws that every game in existence has. The only difference is that the sports gaming community is far more polarized than the communities of any other gaming genre due to exclusive licensing.....so these flaws are amplified by fanboys of rival companies and made to appeare far worse than they actually are.

Anybody on the next gen who says the new games can't compete with the last gen games clearly hasn't played a last gen sports game in a while. I recently popped both NCAA 06 and NFL2K5 into my old xbox recently for shats & giggles and let's just say I won't be going there again. The next gen has trumped the last gen.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-22-2008, 07:37 PM   #16
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:

Thank God someone woke in some sense, I completely agree with almost all of the post.

My issue is that, if you happy playing current gen then you should play current gen.

Next Gen is Next Gen, it doesn't necessarily mean that it is better than current gen.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »