Home

Best NCAA Games of All Time

This is a discussion on Best NCAA Games of All Time within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-23-2008, 11:40 AM   #17
ehh
Hall Of Fame

ehh's Arena

OVR: 44
Re: Best NCAA Games of All Time

NCAA '02 was definitely a lot of fun and I agree about the wow-factor of the jump from PS1 to PS2.

That game was out my freshman year of college and I had never played the PS2 before but lo and behold my roommate had a PS2 and this game. I was simply blown away, I could not get enough of the game.

We played a great three-man dynasty with ACC schools, I was Clemson and won the title the first year behind Woody Dantzler, the kid who owned the PS2 was Georgia Tech and my third roommate (who wasn't all that great at videogames) was Florida State.

We played 4-5 full seasons, man that game was definitely fun as hell! The juke move was insane too like you mentioned, the kid using Georgia Tech won the Heisman one year with a recruited RB and he had over 3,000 yards in one season with him.

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas." - Warren Buffet
Old 07-23-2008, 12:08 PM   #18
MVP

stoncold32's Arena

OVR: 17

^^^^^^^^

Using Woody Dantzler in that game was crazy. And you had the Hurricanes that were also great on that game.

Here's the thing, no matter how good the game is, there's something to be said for the batch of talent that is in college football at the time.

2004 was easily the best gameplay wise, and it was put over the top by the great talent that was in college football that year.
Old 07-23-2008, 12:11 PM   #19
Pro

Dauminator's Arena

OVR: 5

If you want NCAA 08 with roster updates . . . buy NCAA 09 for the PS2. The game does not have the mechanics problems and the sliders work. Get the right set and the only issue you will face is occasional fumble problems and the inability to turn off momentum (although the meter's effect is a bit toned down from prior incarnations). It has Super Sim (that even uses a realistic amount of time per play), create-a-school, and D1-AA teams.

There's a bit of an adjustment if you're used to PS3/360 graphics and animations/smoothness, but the game plays great. Isn't that what everyone on the board is asking for?
Old 07-23-2008, 12:13 PM   #20
Banned

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoncold32
^^^^^^^^

Using Woody Dantzler in that game was crazy. And you had the Hurricanes that were also great on that game.

Here's the thing, no matter how good the game is, there's something to be said for the batch of talent that is in college football at the time.

2004 was easily the best gameplay wise, and it was put over the top by the great talent that was in college football that year.
Couldn't agree more. That is why rosters were so important at the time, when in college.
Old 07-23-2008, 12:20 PM   #21
Banned

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauminator
If you want NCAA 08 with roster updates . . . buy NCAA 09 for the PS2. The game does not have the mechanics problems and the sliders work. Get the right set and the only issue you will face is occasional fumble problems and the inability to turn off momentum (although the meter's effect is a bit toned down from prior incarnations). It has Super Sim (that even uses a realistic amount of time per play), create-a-school, and D1-AA teams.

There's a bit of an adjustment if you're used to PS3/360 graphics and animations/smoothness, but the game plays great. Isn't that what everyone on the board is asking for?
I have it. It does look pretty good, but the PS2 games never looked as good as the Xbox1 NCAA games.

Also, I don't really like momentum. NCAA 09 is the first game in the PS2 / Xbox1 series to go away from traditional out of bounds rules. Also, 09 doesn't even accurately depict the new rules. Meaning, the clock runs when you run out of bounds, but there is no 40 second play clock. I'll stick with the college football rules of tradition before they changed them.

There should be options for any changes that occur in college football history.

I will definitely be testing some things in the PS2 version of NCAA 09 to see if they were fixed from 08, but for an accurate simulation I will stick with 06 or 08.

Probably 06 with sliders as that was a great season of college football anyway.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-23-2008, 12:33 PM   #22
Hall Of Fame

superjames1992's Arena

OVR: 40

06 was a dropfest too. Both 2005 and 2006 on the Xbox were drop fests IMO. I liked 06, but it's so hard to pass the ball and it drives me insane when my wide open receiver drops a sure TD half the time I throw it to him...

My favorite is 07. Sure, the CPU never misses FGs and the momentum meter is overblown, but the animations are pretty nice and there are no-gamekillers to me. The offenses are a little too powerful, but not bad. 2004 may take the crown as the best if it weren't for the conference realignments which kind of kills that game for me now.
Old 07-23-2008, 12:42 PM   #23
Pro

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNole
The drop fest was NCAA 2005. NCAA 2006 was plagued by the creation of the Impact Player, anyone remember how impossible it was to stop any impact RB in that game?
LOL I played with Laurence Maroney and my friends hated me because he would go Koolaid Man all over them.

06 was my favorite, this game is right there.

Old 07-23-2008, 12:46 PM   #24
Hall Of Fame

JayBee74's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoncold32
^^^^^^^^

Currently XBox 360-less and I picked up NCAA 2004 for $1.99 at Gamestop (Gamecube Version). Where can I find the best sliders for that title?
Hmmm...spotted some Jistic Varsity sliders on another site-i might try those.

Last edited by JayBee74; 07-23-2008 at 12:52 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »