Home

In real life Lb's can't keep up with Rb's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is a discussion on In real life Lb's can't keep up with Rb's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-24-2008, 10:48 AM   #25
Pro

rhombic21's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: In real life Lb's can't keep up with Rb's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The problem though, is that it's not just Noel Devine, Demarco Murray, and CJ Spiller who LBs can't cover. They literally can't cover anybody. My 87 SPD OLBs can't cover Beanie Wells on a simple 5-8 yard out route.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-24-2008, 10:53 AM   #26
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

I would agree that most college LBs can't cover RBs very well. I think part of the problem is that many college RBs run poor routes and/or don't catch the ball that well while they all seem to do this well in the game. Its the good RBs that pose a ton of problems.

If anyone watched any of the Senior Bowl practices (I saw just a little) on the NFL Network, there was one day where they spent a lot of time on RBs running patterns out of the backfield and LBs trying to cover them. You would think these guys would have comparable abilities but the LBs were burned easily and often in practice. Mike Mayock would just laugh and say these guys would get better at the next level.

More often than not, a RB will own a LB out in space and I don't have a big problem with that aspect in this game.
Old 07-24-2008, 11:01 AM   #27
Rookie

trayeight's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhombic21
The problem though, is that it's not just Noel Devine, Demarco Murray, and CJ Spiller who LBs can't cover. They literally can't cover anybody. My 87 SPD OLBs can't cover Beanie Wells on a simple 5-8 yard out route.
It depends on the scheme too, though. If you are having your linebackers drop into a zone, then yeah, they wouldn't be. But if your linebackers are chasing Beanie Wells into the flats, who is in the middle of the field? Then you will say that no one is covering the middle of the field either. Can't have it both ways.
Old 07-24-2008, 11:03 AM   #28
Pro

rhombic21's Arena

OVR: 9

I'm talking man coverage. They won't be able to cover him in man coverage on an out. I don't want it "both ways." I want my defenders to execute their given assignment with some sort of competence/ability as it relates to their ratings.
Old 07-24-2008, 11:07 AM   #29
Rookie

trayeight's Arena

OVR: 6

Beanie Wells is faster than your linebackers
Old 07-24-2008, 11:10 AM   #30
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

I think one of the things we need to take into account as I re-read my post and those that followed, is that we are each talking about different scenarios in which the LB should be able to cover and ones where they most likely cannot. There are areas where the LB should be able to cover and that's an angle in the run game, and on swing routes out of the backfield. The LB uses angle and the sideline. In other areas, like routes that require coverage in space, alot of guys are going to have some issues.

Now, taking this into this game, we get one problem. This game makes a universal assessment rather than contextual ones. Thus, he is always going to get beat in every aspect of the game, even aspects where he shouldn't and that's a huge problem.
Old 07-24-2008, 11:48 AM   #31
Rookie

GatorFan1963's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
I'm talking man coverage. They won't be able to cover him in man coverage on an out. I don't want it "both ways." I want my defenders to execute their given assignment with some sort of competence/ability as it relates to their ratings.
My sentiments exactly. My main thing here is the LB stopping the RB from getting the ball in the first place. If the QB thinks about throwing it to the RB in the flat, the LB should already be closing in to take the route away. THAT's THE PROBLEM. But, what ends up happening is that the reaction from the LB is delayed or he is in a bad position, but will make the play right after the RB catches it. In the meantime you have just given up 3-4 yards, but would have never given up those yards had the LB just played his assignment like he was supposed to.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-24-2008, 12:03 PM   #32
All Star

callmetaternuts's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
This is an example where it doesnt matter who you have on offense or defense, the offense wins, its been given an edge (not that you didnt know that)

You too can be a 5* recruit at FSU.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwelveozPlaya21
add worthless Xavier Lee to that list..
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNole
CFL here he comes. Pfft, wait that would require learning a playbook. McDonalds here he comes.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »