Home

Defensive Animations Unbalanced?

This is a discussion on Defensive Animations Unbalanced? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-25-2008, 08:31 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
Defensive Animations Unbalanced?

Let's start off by saying after NCAA 08 on the PS3 i initially thought i would never even play another title ....much less purchase one.

But this one has restored my faith just ...but there is one thing that is really bothering me....in the previous installments of NCAA football since the implementation of the User Pick back in 03 (Except 08) you were able to have complete control of the computer defender, immediately on switch.

Now, it appears as though the defensive animations are unbreakable many times when you switch to the closest defender when the ball is in the air....Bringing me to 3 questions.

1. Was this intentional, to keep people from switching on the pass...As opposed to playing one position throughout the play?

2. Is this Lag?

3. Is it because the defensive animations are a step longer...having your cornerback, linebacker, or saftey already making a play on the ball (or not) before you can take control of them.

I just really wonder about this because it's a sure fire way to combat the issue of RC'ing...There are so many plays that i know for a fact i would pick off in Ncaa 03-07.

At leastit's better than 08....where a user pick was next to impossible.

Last edited by LtClaybon; 07-25-2008 at 09:11 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-25-2008, 12:07 PM   #2
Rookie

Re: Defensive Animations Unbalanced?

Maybe i need a snazzier Title, something in caps...or maybe a buzz word like hack or glitch
Old 07-26-2008, 12:56 AM   #3
Probably Insane

Village Idiot's Arena

OVR: 30

The other 10 defensive players are mapped to YOU.

So let's say you're playing with the DT. It's 3rd and long and you're playing Quarters defense; a three-man rush where your assignment at the DT is to bull-rush the middle.

On the snap, you do this. Notice this means you're pushing the left stick toward six o'clock. You're engaged with your man, and he's playing you "straight." But let's say you notice that there's a big hole to your left side you can attack. In order to attack it, you have to press the left stick toward 3 o'clock.

What people seem incapable of grasping is that this move - pushing the left stick toward 3 o'clock - will cause your entire defense to roam left.

When the QB turns and hits a receiver to his left, you turn and complain the DB AI is whack. No, dude, your pushing the left stick toward 3 o'clock is what allowed that completion.

Let's look at that again, but from another perspective.

Still 3rd and long, still Quarters defense.

This time you push the stick to 6 o'clock, but instead of trying to - do what exactly? sweep around like a DE with the DT? - instead of trying to hit a hole that your guy is incapable of hitting, you just continue to bull rush.

This time, the QB doesn't go for the short route after scanning the field for two seconds. This time - dare I say because you're not pushing the left stick right or left - he looks deep-right.

As the DT, you can see this, so you push the left stick toward 2 o'clock.

Three DB's break on the ball.

Incompletion sails out of bounds.

That's how defense works.

Moral: Don't switch on defense. Play the assignment you've selected to play to perfection, and the other 10 guys will follow suit.

I can't stress this enough: I've seen plays where my DB was exactly as close to making a play as I was to making a play on the QB. Does that make sense? I mean, if I was 2 yards from sacking the QB, the DB was 2 yards off the receiver; if I was inches away from a sack, my DB knocked the pass down; if I was five yards from the QB, my DB was 5 yards off the receiver.

Again: the other 10 guys are mapped to YOU. Switching guys just seems to "reset" the whole thing - as it should, frankly.
Old 07-26-2008, 01:43 AM   #4
MVP

Tweeg's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undefeated
The other 10 defensive players are mapped to YOU.

So let's say you're playing with the DT. It's 3rd and long and you're playing Quarters defense; a three-man rush where your assignment at the DT is to bull-rush the middle.

On the snap, you do this. Notice this means you're pushing the left stick toward six o'clock. You're engaged with your man, and he's playing you "straight." But let's say you notice that there's a big hole to your left side you can attack. In order to attack it, you have to press the left stick toward 3 o'clock.

What people seem incapable of grasping is that this move - pushing the left stick toward 3 o'clock - will cause your entire defense to roam left.

When the QB turns and hits a receiver to his left, you turn and complain the DB AI is whack. No, dude, your pushing the left stick toward 3 o'clock is what allowed that completion.

Let's look at that again, but from another perspective.

Still 3rd and long, still Quarters defense.

This time you push the stick to 6 o'clock, but instead of trying to - do what exactly? sweep around like a DE with the DT? - instead of trying to hit a hole that your guy is incapable of hitting, you just continue to bull rush.

This time, the QB doesn't go for the short route after scanning the field for two seconds. This time - dare I say because you're not pushing the left stick right or left - he looks deep-right.

As the DT, you can see this, so you push the left stick toward 2 o'clock.

Three DB's break on the ball.

Incompletion sails out of bounds.

That's how defense works.

Moral: Don't switch on defense. Play the assignment you've selected to play to perfection, and the other 10 guys will follow suit.

I can't stress this enough: I've seen plays where my DB was exactly as close to making a play as I was to making a play on the QB. Does that make sense? I mean, if I was 2 yards from sacking the QB, the DB was 2 yards off the receiver; if I was inches away from a sack, my DB knocked the pass down; if I was five yards from the QB, my DB was 5 yards off the receiver.

Again: the other 10 guys are mapped to YOU. Switching guys just seems to "reset" the whole thing - as it should, frankly.
That seems like a horrible gameplay mechanic if you ask me. What happens if his assignment is to stunt, and the QB releases while he's still crashing at an angle? Does the whole defense shift to that angle?

Also if your theory is correct, why do CPU QBs still hit that quick route right away even when you let the play run itself?
Old 07-26-2008, 12:10 PM   #5
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undefeated
That's what i was asking....if this was intentional to force us to play as one player.

And if that is the "Gameplay Mechanic" that they wanted, then it really hurts our ability to combat "Gameplay Mechanics" Like Rocket Catching.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-26-2008, 11:08 PM   #6
Rookie

Another thing i just noticed that i can't believe i didn't mention ....Upon the switch the offensive player gains instant control...the defensive player lags behind just a bit,

Maybe it's button skills but i was able to switch to the receiver a beat before my friends controlled team.

But once again, this could be another implementation of wide open gameplay...i'd just like to know.

Because defense is half of the game...Super sim is cool for those who don't like it....but if i'm going to play defense i think i should be able to switch.

Once again, i love the game and i just want the best for it

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »