Home

Contain Does Not do a Good Job of Containment - Need Edge Rush

This is a discussion on Contain Does Not do a Good Job of Containment - Need Edge Rush within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-28-2008, 08:38 AM   #9
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40
Re: Contain Does Not do a Good Job of Containment - Need Edge Rush

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrhammer
I feel like the Contain worked better in 08. It is broken now.
Well QB's were not as fast in 08 either. Damn it just dawned on me. Last year they zapped the speed of the offensive players. This year they zapped the speed of the defense.
Old 07-28-2008, 08:46 AM   #10
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonRSD
gg last night. 2-1 me

i see you needed #1 ranked clamson to take me to OT vs my canes.

ill look for you again tonight

and i LOVE your "ea defense" (qtrs) vs my i form....funny thing is it always works
LOL, Clemson is 11 man. In that game before, I hate how I lost. I score 3 TD's and kick a FG 24 pts right. This guy scores 27 points, 3 kick returns and 2 FG's. On every kick return I'm looking up and all of my guys are on the damn ground from pancake blocks. EA needs to really cut the child's play. Multiple pancake blocks and Moses is standing at the other end of the field with his rod up in the air because that sh*t opened up like the Red Sea

Also West Virginia is hard to stop. All you gotta do is run Iso with Noel Devine and move around with the QB on pass plays. Come out in 2 back every time. Devine is going to always break at least two tackles on every run.

Also speaking of Devine. You know that one video where the guy is playing crazy and basically shames the pursuit. Well the guy I played that used them he didn't have to run that way. I wish I would have uploaded this one. That mess does effect the game even when playing straight. I had 3 instances where I had defenders break into the backfield and should have cut Devine off, but all dude did was take an angle diagonally backwards and it threw off the pursuit and he got around the edge clean. This kid is crazy to deal with in this game.

Last edited by LBzrule; 07-28-2008 at 08:50 AM.
Old 07-28-2008, 09:19 AM   #11
Banned

heavy_hitter's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhombic21
Contain is another example of a "feature"/hot route that EA invented solely because they have such terrible AI on the LOS. There is no team in America that uses any sort of pass rush strategy that resembles anything close to what you see in "contain" plays. Containment is a basic part of every single defensive playcall in the world, unless it's some kind of junk/situational defense. It's not a special assignment, it's part of the edge rusher's basic responsibility. The fact that we have to specifically assign people to contain (and thus sacrifice them as pass rushers) is just stupid.
Amen.

If spy's worked correctly there wouldn't be a need for "Containment". Back on the 2004 version, spy's worked like they were supposed to. They avoided blockers and spied the QB. If the QB scrambled, they would attack the QB and bring them down for NO, minimal, or a slight gain.

For some reason EA didn't like this and programmed a person to spy and just stand. They rendered the spy useless.

Now, the best use of a spy is to stop short passes or play zone defense. LMAO, a player spying playing better zone defense than a player actually playing zone. Go figure.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-28-2008, 09:49 AM   #12
Rookie

newper77's Arena

OVR: 2
Icon14 Re: Contain Does Not do a Good Job of Containment - Need Edge Rush

Quote:
Originally Posted by marktg30
On 360 use LB and press the right analog stick UP....
This will do a "fan" blitz and should help you with people running outside a lil bit... that has helped me...
Agreed. It's much better than the "Contain" specific defenses, as your playbook for the LBs and DBs aren't constrained to those specific "Contain" defenses that don't contain well in the first place. Typically with the fan rush, I am able to keep some degree of pressure on the QB when they do that BS rollout stuff.
Old 07-28-2008, 09:54 AM   #13
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by newper77
Agreed. It's much better than the "Contain" specific defenses, as your playbook for the LBs and DBs aren't constrained to those specific "Contain" defenses that don't contain well in the first place. Typically with the fan rush, I am able to keep some degree of pressure on the QB when they do that BS rollout stuff.

The fan rushes haven't worked for me, which is why I mix it up between that and contain. Secondly, when a guy has West Virginia and is mixing it up you fan rush and you are going to die unless you do it in 3rd and long. If you do it any other time Devine will rape you up that middle like nobody's business. Either that or they are in shotgun and run the option and take White and turn it right back up in the middle for a big gain. Against some players it will work. I did beat one dude that used West Virginia pretty bad. I don't think he was all that great though. But when playing against someone that has their stuff down, I just don't see much that EA has put in the game defensively to "help a brotha out." And the thing is, the last guy that I played that used them, I wouldn't even consider him cheese. He did just about everything a normal guy would do but the game is just too forgiving and the defense way to SOFT.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »