Home

user block shedding

This is a discussion on user block shedding within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-01-2008, 11:31 AM   #9
Banned

sixthgradetyrant's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: user block shedding

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgeno
Welcome to football. It's tough to shed blocks in real life too.

Like Starboy said, though--it's all about timing. You've got to see the block coming and hit the shed block command right when the blocker makes contact, which is how it should be. It's not easy to get away from a block in real life once it's engaged. But if you can see it coming, you can protect your body and get away from it.
No offense -- seriously, I mean that -- but what a ridiculous comment. How does "real life" connect with broken gameplay? Do frosh WR's stalemate DL's in "real life"? The fact is, until EA even remotely approximates "real life" football in NCAA, comments like these seem more self-aggrandizing attempts to call into question others' knowledge of "real" football than advice regarding a video game.

Sorry if too harsh, but the above explanation seems to be apologizing for broken gameplay, and doesn't address the real issue.
Old 08-01-2008, 12:47 PM   #10
MVP

bgeno's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixthgradetyrant
No offense -- seriously, I mean that -- but what a ridiculous comment. How does "real life" connect with broken gameplay? Do frosh WR's stalemate DL's in "real life"? The fact is, until EA even remotely approximates "real life" football in NCAA, comments like these seem more self-aggrandizing attempts to call into question others' knowledge of "real" football than advice regarding a video game.

Sorry if too harsh, but the above explanation seems to be apologizing for broken gameplay, and doesn't address the real issue.
hahaha... I'm a big boy... I can take your opinion.

You're right about D-line vs. WR, though. I hadn't really given that much thought. I was thinking more along the lines of WR vs. DB, OL vs. DL/LB, etc... matches that often DO end in stalemates.

My point is that blocks are tough to shed in real life, so they should be in video games too. Just pressing one button shouldn't make one magically shed the block... and I feel that's what a lot of people expect. I know just how frustrating it can be to be engaged in a block on a video game and feel helpless as the ball carrier runs right by you because you can't disengage from the block. However, I know exactly how it feels in real life.

My comment was not intended to defend broken gameplay. It was directed more toward the notion I often get from these message boards that people expect to be able to just press a button and BAM, it happens, no matter the ratings, size, etc.

Again, you're right. I didn't take all scenarios into account. In my defense, however, I offered advice and the OP never specified the WR vs. DL scenario.
Old 08-03-2008, 12:52 AM   #11
Pro

OVR: 11

Quote:
however, I offered advice and the OP never specified the WR vs. DL scenario.
Quote:
the worst part is that it dosent even matter if its an offensive lineman or a friggin' 1st year wide reciever, once im in that blocking animation its no competition, i lose!
uh yes i did and i love real life football wayyyyyyyy more than madden or ncaa
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-03-2008, 01:25 AM   #12
MVP

stoncold32's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Welcome to football. It's tough to shed blocks in real life too.

Like Starboy said, though--it's all about timing. You've got to see the block coming and hit the shed block command right when the blocker makes contact, which is how it should be. It's not easy to get away from a block in real life once it's engaged. But if you can see it coming, you can protect your body and get away from it.
This makes me laugh. Dude this is a video game, not real life. A video game that is based on ratings(supposedly). A 97 rated DE should make mincemeat out of a 74 rated OL. Even if you don't use any special moves, speedwise he should beat him at elast once in a game, which doesnt happen on this game....at least nto when the user is controller.

You can't pick out one area in this game and compare it to real life when the working areas of this game WORK because they are based on that of a video game.
Old 08-03-2008, 01:46 AM   #13
MVP

OVR: 10

Guys I dont know if you remember a while back Ian said the key to shedding blocks in Madden and NCAA is to hit the power move BEFORE YOU MAKE CONTACT!!!! I tried it and its night and day. I play MLB now and I check his ratings which ever he is better at I use that move. I hit the button a split second before he makes contact with the lineman and it works 10X better. Ian had even said himself that once you make contact its very hard to "disengage". So if you are having trouble with this try the move before you make contact. Be careful not to do it to early cause it will cause your LB to do a juke move.
Old 08-03-2008, 04:28 AM   #14
Rookie

Darkeus's Arena

OVR: 5

Also if you press your left analog towards the direction you want to break, it also helps. I have had my problems with it but yeah, hit the button half a second early, press the direction you want to go and then turbo.. Doesn't work all the time but it does work.

The Scarlet and Grey, best team in the land!
Old 08-03-2008, 03:14 PM   #15
Rookie

OVR: 6

you have to be a good team like osu to shed block often, i am ksu and no matter wut i cant shed block often
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »