Home

Passing Off-Target

This is a discussion on Passing Off-Target within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-01-2008, 10:38 AM   #9
It is now the SW Era

muggins's Arena

OVR: 25
Re: Passing Off-Target

Yeah it is definitely hard to hit a receiver on a deep pattern. They don't seem to ever get separation from the DB, and when they do, the quarterback lofts it and can't get it in front of him. I don't know how to do the rocket catch either.

BAD BOYS BAD BOYS
Old 08-01-2008, 10:52 AM   #10
Pro

BhamTiger's Arena

OVR: 7

Agreed. Any throw deep is almost always an INT. I've seen safeties come all the way across the field to make the play after I threw it deep thinking I had them beat.

Which is why my HB is usually my leading receiver if I'm controlling the QB. Much easier (and safer) for me to throw a screen pass. Seems like most other throws are just begging to be picked off by a superman DB/LB.

Or maybe I just suck.
Old 08-01-2008, 12:09 PM   #11
Pro

servo75's Arena

OVR: 9

There's been a "feature" in Madden for a few years now where you could press a certain way, I think on the right stick, up to throw high, down to throw low, and right-left to lead a receiver to the inside/outside. Can you do this in NCAA09? If not, consider this a feature request. Like I said, the problem is overactive LBs & Safeties, and also that the passing is totally 2-dimensional. If the LB is ANYWHERE between the QB and receiver, it doesn't matter that it's a lob pass, the LB will pick it off as though he had infinite height. The CPU doesn't understand the concept that, just because the ball is at your x-y coordinate, you don't have the z-coordinate to intercept it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-01-2008, 02:28 PM   #12
Banned

OVR: 3

yea i was playing as auburn and the qb didnt have the best throwing accuracy in the world but it was decent and i was in an overtime game online i was down by 7 it was 4th and 2 and i threw an outside slant to a guy wide open by at least 5 yards and... he throws it to far..
Old 08-01-2008, 02:52 PM   #13
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by servo75
There's been a "feature" in Madden for a few years now where you could press a certain way, I think on the right stick, up to throw high, down to throw low, and right-left to lead a receiver to the inside/outside. Can you do this in NCAA09? If not, consider this a feature request. Like I said, the problem is overactive LBs & Safeties, and also that the passing is totally 2-dimensional. If the LB is ANYWHERE between the QB and receiver, it doesn't matter that it's a lob pass, the LB will pick it off as though he had infinite height. The CPU doesn't understand the concept that, just because the ball is at your x-y coordinate, you don't have the z-coordinate to intercept it.
Yes, it's in NCAA 09. You can lead the reciever the same way.
I too, thought the long ball was not easy. However, try this.

Go to practice, play as Florida , against a horrible team on defense. Try the long ball then. It's a thing of beauty. Streaks, long posts in the deep middle of the field. Etc. I've got a vid in my shrine right now that is the single most fantastic play I have ever seen in a football video game. Corner route from about the 20 yrd line. Ball came in over the recievers right shoulder, in a place where only the WR could catch it. Pretty rainbow pass. Reciever caught it and had to drag his feet before going about of bounds.

I was convinced the TD would be reversed. The replay showed he was in fact in bounds. Anway, try it with Florida in practice. Awesome.
Old 08-01-2008, 03:10 PM   #14
MVP

stoncold32's Arena

OVR: 17

Unfortunately I've found that the best passing all-around on this game is on Varsity difficulty. Bad thing is, everything esle on Varisty is too easy. You can pass across the middle and hit slants all day on All-American, but as far as beating a DB for a deep ball, they recover too quickly while the ball is in the air for my liking.
Old 08-01-2008, 03:12 PM   #15
MVP

stoncold32's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by BhamTiger
This very thing is what made me go back to a CPU vs CPU dynasty. After throwing for 0 TD's and 7 INT's in my first 3 games as a virtual QB, I decided it wasn't worth the frustration anymore.

My stick skills just aren't what they used to be when I was a young lad.
I feel you man, I was kinda glad when my 360 broke and I went and traded it in for a PS3. I grew up in my big time gaming days on PSOne & 2, so going back to that controller feels much more natural.

As much as I played the 360, there where still "thinking" moments I had before pressing buttons, and in games like this, you have no time to think about buttons.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »