Home

Current Gen Playbooks: Why can't Next Gen get this attention to detail?

This is a discussion on Current Gen Playbooks: Why can't Next Gen get this attention to detail? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-09-2008, 03:07 PM   #1
Rookie

GatorBait's Arena

OVR: 4
Current Gen Playbooks: Why can't Next Gen get this attention to detail?

As some of you know, I switched back to current gen after being disappointed with the gameplay of this year's next gen version. One other thing I was disappointed about was how next gen's playbooks were still lagging behind current gen in certain aspects. There are just a bunch of plays on current gen that next gen doesn't have yet, and it really takes away from some of the uniqueness that should be present in different types of offenses. Next gen has gotten better recently, but there are times when I feel like I used to with older current gen games: there isn't much differentiation between formations and playbooks.

First of all, I believe it was last year that EA overhauled the flexbone formations on current gen. If you still haven't seen them yet and enjoy running the option, you are doing yourself a huge disservice. They incorporate automotion and misdirection on almost every play. Wingbacks will actually auto-motion into the backfield to get into a proper pitch relation pre-play. They really did some awesome things with the flexbone.

But I digress. What I wanted to bring up was what I saw when browsing through playbooks last night. I came across Air Force's playbook and noticed they had the Maryland-I. This delighted me because I noticed last year that AF started actually using the Maryland-I in games. I was just happy that they had the attention to detail to put it in. One unique thing about AF using the Maryland-I last year was that they started running a lot of triple-option out of it. Well, on a long shot, I decided to look into their playbook to see if a triple option play was added. A lo and behold, EA revamped the entire Maryland-I formation, adding in a bunch of triple option plays, and adding in other new plays.

I was pretty impressed by their attention to detail.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-09-2008, 03:28 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 14
Re: Current Gen Playbooks: Why can't Next Gen get this attention to detail?

I couldn't agree more with your perspective.

I am playing NCAA 08 on Xbox1 like it's goin out of style.

The framerate is so supurb.

Any next-gen NCAA football is merely a tech-demo compared to current-gen.

Next-gen is too choppy, blockey, and focused on high quality graphics models they forgot to make an accurate simulation game like current-gen.

The strategic game found in NCAA 08 for Xbox1 takes my breath away. Even with the bugs, it's all I'll ever need. Now if I can only update rosters to this year.
Old 08-09-2008, 05:36 PM   #3
Rookie

GatorBait's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSU_DW2

Next-gen is too choppy, blockey, and focused on high quality graphics models they forgot to make an accurate simulation game like current-gen.

The strategic game found in NCAA 08 for Xbox1 takes my breath away. Even with the bugs, it's all I'll ever need. Now if I can only update rosters to this year.
I feel you on your point about strategy in '08. I guess you could say I'm a big game-planning/strategy buff. I like to have a cohesive offense and execute it realistically based on the defense I see. It would be my dream to be about to pick the formations you want in your playbook, then pick all the corresponding plays you want in each formation. I love all the options they have for formation audibles, hot routes, and smart routes on current gen (to be fair, some of these are in next gen) - and let's not forget formation subs...

I'm glad current gen gave us the ability to crash the line and shade your coverage. Really opens up the things you can do on defense. That's probably the one reason I can't bear to stay with next gen right now...what's the fun in taking away the strategy away from an entire half of the game (defense)?

I was extremely excited about moving up to next gen this year because I thought it would finally incorporate the playbooks and strategy options from current gen this year, but I was disappointed to find that wasn't the case.
Old 08-09-2008, 06:03 PM   #4
Banned

Bigdmo9999's Arena

OVR: 46

Well for us lucky Sony console owners who get 09 I must say that the PS2 version is pretty much a 9/10. Some small glitches bring it down but with the fix of pursuit angles the running game is finally tough. The passing game is pretty easy but with the right sliders you can pretty much fix that.
Old 08-09-2008, 06:14 PM   #5
Rookie

GatorBait's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdmo9999
Well for us lucky Sony console owners who get 09 I must say that the PS2 version is pretty much a 9/10. Some small glitches bring it down but with the fix of pursuit angles the running game is finally tough. The passing game is pretty easy but with the right sliders you can pretty much fix that.
At first I thought they swung the running game too far in the other direction after it being too easy in '08. I was having a tough time picking up yards...until I finally realized that EA adjusted the running game so that matching up #s in the box matters so much more now. If you try to consistently run against a front that has an advantage in numbers over your o-line, you are going to have problems. Blocking advantages, pulling linemen, etc all come into play more now. I have shut down many online gamers' run games because they didn't seem to realize this (while still maintaining a competent run game myself).

For the PS2 technology, I feel like the run game is as close to flawless as it has ever been. My only complaints are occasional "mario running", and it seems like at times defenders can too easily laterally break free from their blocks as you are running by them. O-linemen still occasionally miss their blocking assignment, but I have been noticing it less this year.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-09-2008, 09:10 PM   #6
Banned

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSU_DW2

I don't know what game you claim to have played, because NCAA 09 isn't choppy, nor is it "blockey"
Old 08-09-2008, 09:32 PM   #7
Pro

slickkill77's Arena

OVR: 7

The playbooks arent updated at all and its a joke
Old 08-09-2008, 11:24 PM   #8
Rookie

GatorBait's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickkill77
The playbooks arent updated at all and its a joke
Aren't updated at all? How do you explain shotgun reverses, smash plays, the expanded Maryland-I, and Shotgun Normal Y-Flex formation?

They may not have expanded by much, but the bigger joke is that next gen still doesn't have all the plays from current gen playbooks, and isn't that what the title of this thread is about?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »